PDA

View Full Version : Weight Watchers

sammy101
09-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Has anyone done Weight Watchers?My mom and I are going to join it this week.I despertly need to loose weight.I'm happy with myself now,but i'd be 100 million times more happier if i lost weight.I've been trying to look weight,but its not working for me.We're starting back at the gym this week,so thats going to help,plus taking the dogs for a walk,and hopefully Weight Watchers will help too.
Has WW been successful for anyone here?And can someone explain to me more about what you have to do,i know you get a meal plan,thats about it:p

Uabassoon
09-11-2005, 10:51 PM
I lost a lot of weight on WW. I really liked the program. You can still eat all the same foods you normally eat, only you are eating smaller portions. Every type of food is given a point value and you are allowed so many points a day depending on what your weight is. As you lose weight you are given less points.

Daisy and Delilah
09-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Weight Watchers is the best weight loss program out there. The program works if you work the program. I love it also. Some people find counting points as an inconvenience. It keeps me grounded. Make it fun and enjoy it. Me and my daughter go together and it's the best way to do it. The buddy system is always better. We encourage each other by acting as a support system. Try to stay for every meeting if you possibly can. The more meetings you can attend for the duration, the longer you stay motivated after leaving there. Water, water, and more water! I think you'll be very pleased with it. Good luck to you and your Mom:D

AmberLee
09-12-2005, 12:26 AM
I'm one of several WW members here. I recently celebrated a total loss of 40 pounds, and am hoping to earn my 45 pound star this coming week.

A point roughly corresponds to 50 calories. An item with a lot of fat (~9 grams) gets an extra point, although fiber reduces the point count. (I'm so sleepy I'm making this more complicated than it really is. There is a slider chart thing that you'll get at the first meeting that makes this simple...)

The biggest changes for me are adding fruits and vegetables to my life. I'm eating healthier and more adventurously now. Yes, there is portion control, and exercise, and LOTS of water. But the support system is terrific. I think you and your mom will love it.

More power to you!

JenBKR
09-12-2005, 08:54 AM
I have heard lots of great things about WW. My mom lost the 25 lbs. she wanted to lose, and became a 'lifetime member' which means (I think) that you can go for free for the rest of your life. Sounds like a great plan to me!

RedHedd
09-12-2005, 01:05 PM
I lost 14 lbs. through WW many years ago. It was all I needed to lose and I've kept that weight off with the sensible eating plan WW gave me. They taught me how to eat right. Now I balance the WW plan with low carb and have kept my weight in check, although right now I need to lose about 5 lbs. so my clothes will be loose again. ;) (Bugs me when people spell lose "loose")

Logan
09-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Good job to those of you who are successfully taking weight off! I am on LA Weight Loss and have lost 14 pounds so far. My stepson is doing WW and I think it is a great diet for him, as it is probably the most generous in what you can eat. He has lost 15-16 pounds in about 8 weeks on the plan, and my husband bought him a palm pilot where he can calculate his points everyday. That has been a huge help. Andrew's weight loss is very noticeable, and we're doing all we can to support him in it.

I think Weight Watchers is terrific, especially if you can go to a meeting every week to weigh in (the accountibility thing........which is why LA Weight Loss is attractive to me).

Logan

sammy101
09-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Ok Great thanks!:) I really do hope this works for my mom and i. And congrats to all of you for loosing weight:)

carole
09-12-2005, 07:47 PM
I can only agree 100 per cent with what everyone has said here, WW is highly recommended by the medical profession for losing weight as well.

I have done many WW programmes, even when I wanted to loose a stone many years ago when I was younger in my twenties, the programme has improved so much and they are continually changing it for the better.

IMO you have chosen the only weight loss programme that really is healthy and works, it is all about lifestyle changes, and when I first tried points I found it difficult because I was used to the older system, but now I love the point system, I am doing WW by myself at home right now and have had my first 3 kg (about 7 pounds) weight loss in two weeks, for a more mature person with not a lot of exercise this is a good weight loss for me, I am not hugely overweight, but I am a small person carrying way too much, and as I get older it seems harder to shift especially in certain areas.

Good luck I know you will do wonderfully well at WW with all the great support they offer.

jazzcat
09-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Wow, congrats to all you WW success stories!!!

I was thinking of joining WW this spring but then hubby and I decided to try it on our own. As of this morning I've lost 50 pounds - YIPEE!!! I still have more to go.

Anyway, if I get bogged down doing it myself I will definitely go to WW after reading all these raving reviews. My family doctor always recommends it as a good healthy program.

PJ's Mom
09-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Congrats, Lori! What are you doing to lose weight?

Daisy and Delilah
09-12-2005, 11:22 PM
CONGRATS TO EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

jazzcat
09-13-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
Congrats, Lori! What are you doing to lose weight?
Thanks!!! We are eating much healthier now, lots of grilled chicken, rice and veggies. I've cut out sweets and junk food except for a splurge about once a month. Last month it was pizza and ice cream, yum! We are trying to eat mostly whole grains too, wheat tortillas with our fajitas and stuff like that. It really hasn't been too difficult because I'm satisfied with the food (hubby does most the cooking since it's on the grill). I'm not a breakfast eater and I usually eat a light lunch of cottage cheese and fruit or just cereal.

The big key is exercise. We walk every evening, about 1 1/2- 2 miles, and I've been swimming all summer. I try to do about 100 laps every other day. Unfortunately the impending cooler weather will force us to close the pool soon. Guess I'll have to join a gym.

We started this on April 19th so I'm thrilled to have lost 50 pounds in 5 months. :D :D :D

PJ's Mom
09-13-2005, 09:04 AM
Wow, that's awesome! I wish I had that much willpower. ;) Congrats and I hope you keep it up. :)

Logan
09-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Congratulations, Jazzcat!!!! :) What a tremendous success you have accomplished!!!!! I hope to say that I've come near to your success by January 1!!!! :D

PJ's Mom
09-13-2005, 01:36 PM
You know, i got on the scale this morning and I think I found the 50lbs you lost. :eek: :D

JenBKR
09-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
You know, i got on the scale this morning and I think I found the 50lbs you lost. :eek: :D

ROFLMAO!! :D

slick
09-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Lord knows I have to do something soon so I was just browsing the Canadian WW website and the fee is $144.00 for 12 weeks. What does that get me?? :confused:

There is a meeting at a church that's only 5 min from home but it starts at 7pm...I don't get off work in time to make it. What happens at the meetings?

Congrats to all of you who lost weight...you are an inspiration to me. :)

carole
09-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Slick it is mainly the support that really helps, you also get recipes, offers, just a chance to chat and learn things, also a decent weigh in machine that tells you even 100 gram losses, which most home ones do not, so that helps keep the incentive there, even losing the weight of a potato is better than nothing at all.

It cost 16.95 a week here and at the moment no joining fee with a coupon, I am hoping to loose most of it by myself, and then join to loose the last bit and finally get my life time membership and learn maintainence, things I neglected to do the first time I had a major loss.

It is tough going it alone sometimes, so if you can afford it , I would urge you to attend the meetings, it does make a difference, I just cannot justify the spending at the moment, and hope to do it by myself and maybe join a gym or something instead.

I successfully shed ten kgs by myself on the point system, and I intend to do it again and NOT put Eight of it back on again like I have in the last two years.

Good luck to everyone and congratulations to those who have achieved such great weight losses, Lori your's is amazing, when are we going to see before and after pics? pretty please, you will be inspiration to many here including me.:)

Pam
09-13-2005, 07:38 PM
My neighbor lost 100 lbs. on WW and has kept it off for about five years now. She still goes to an occasional meeting just to stay on the "straight and narrow."

Good luck to you and your mom Sammy101. I hope you achieve your goals. Lori, you are amazing. What results, and how impressive that you were able to do it on your own! I know having hubby do it with you must have been a big help.

jazzcat
09-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Thanks everyone!

PJ's Mom - LOL!!! Sorry to have sent my weight to TX, I told it take a hike, not go south. ;)

I still have more to lose but when I hit my goal you bet I will be sharing some pictures. Unfortunately I don't have too many before pictures at my highest weight because I avoided the camera like the plague but I'm sure I can find something.

Uabassoon
09-13-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by jazzcat
Unfortunately I don't have too many before pictures at my highest weight because I avoided the camera like the plague

I have the same problem, I lost 46 lbs and have tons of after pictures, but hardly any before!