PDA

View Full Version : Does this bother anyone else?

wolf_Q
09-11-2005, 09:23 PM
We followed this guy for quite a while on our way to go camping. I felt so bad for the dog.....he was not secured in there at all, just look at the picture. There was all sorts of junk in there, not even a decent place to sit not to mention there's not even a back to stop him from sliding out! He kept pacing the entire time, looked so upset and nervous. I hope I'm not offending anyone, but I absolutely *hate* it when people let their dogs ride in the back of trucks. Secured in a crate, that is ok.....but just loose like that? One quick stop and they'd just fly right out! :( This was at least a 65 mph road too.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/U2Q/truckdog1.jpg
And here's a pic of my dogs during the ride just because they are cute ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/U2Q/cardogs.jpg

Kfamr
09-11-2005, 09:30 PM
YES. It bothers me SO much. I've seen dogs ride on top of the large tool boxes some people have in the back of their trucks. WHY!?! would someone let ANYONE ride like that.

Something could fly into their eyes, they could jump out, they could ram against the side of the truck and break something. It's totally NOT safe. Not that riding inside the cab is completely safe but it's a lot more secure that riding in the bed of a truck.

Karen
09-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Absolutely - it's something I am glad we never see around here. Our dogs rode in the back of Dad's pickup sometimes - when we kids were there, and it had a seat up against the cab of the truck, and a cap on the bed so none of us could fly out.

Dad did get a sliding window installed between the truck and the cap, which we referred to as "the woofle hole" becuase our St. Bernard Freckles delighted in sticking her head through (which filled the whole window) to woofle the ears of any front-seat passengers!

sammy101
09-11-2005, 09:32 PM
yes that bothers me too:( i absolutely hate it when people do that,especially when there not even tied on.
but your kids look adorable!:)

Crikit
09-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Yup it bothers me, it's actually illgeal in Calgary for dogs to be riding loose like that in the back of trucks. If they are riding in the back they either need to be covered, in a kennel that is secured or tied up with a short enough rope that they can not reach the sides or the ends of the truck.

finn's mom
09-11-2005, 09:39 PM
It bothers me a lot, too. I try to avoid saying too much on the subject, though, just because at least those people want their dog with them. Eh, I will voice my opinion on it when asked, but, for the most part, it's one topic I don't devote too much energy into...I did, however, get into it the other day with someone on the subject of spay and neuter. That's one I won't soften my voice on. I try to choose my battles, or I'd be arguing all the time. It does make me really sad to see dogs in truck beds, though. But, again, at least they want their dog with them. Better than being left behind, but, still not as good as a safe ride for the dog.

wolf_Q
09-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Crikit
Yup it bothers me, it's actually illgeal in Calgary for dogs to be riding loose like that in the back of trucks. If they are riding in the back they either need to be covered, in a kennel that is secured or tied up with a short enough rope that they can not reach the sides or the ends of the truck.

I wish it was illegal here because I would totally report him...as far as I know it is not, I see dogs like that all the time. Usually it's labs, goldens, border collies, aussies.......hunting/working dogs, most not "family members" just kept for use only. :(

*edit: not saying that hunting/working dogs can't be family members just a lot of people around here don't think of them that way*

AllAmericanPUP
09-11-2005, 09:54 PM
yes! i hate when people do that:mad:

i once saw a guy with 2 pitty puppies in the back of his truck, they were on his metal tool box, one sharp or even semi-sharp turn and those pups would have slided straight off into the rode:mad:

i always see people with dogs in the back of their trucks and they think there doing good by not leaving the dog at home or something, dogs are MUCH better off home alone then loose in the back of a pick up truck:(

CagneyDog
09-11-2005, 09:57 PM
I HATE it when I see dogs like that. UGH.

cocker_luva
09-11-2005, 10:14 PM
holy sh*t!!! that guy might as well throw his dog out a tower window! :eek:

shais_mom
09-11-2005, 10:41 PM
that drives me INNSSAANNNEE!!!

and so do your cuties but that's b/c they are so cute! ;)
:p

luvofallhorses
09-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by CagneyDog
I HATE it when I see dogs like that. UGH.

ditto

trayi52
09-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Yeap, bothers me a lot, I once saw a dog fall out of the back of a truck. The driver didn't even notice and just kept driving, with the poor dog running behind him barking. That was a long time ago in the town of MT Pleasant, TN. I was just a young girl then, but I can still remember it just as clearly today.

Willie:(

shais_mom
09-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Yeap, bothers me a lot, I once saw a dog fall out of the back of a truck. The driver didn't even notice and just kept driving, with the poor dog running behind him barking. That was a long time ago in the town of MT Pleasant, TN. I was just a young girl then, but I can still remember it just as clearly today.

Willie:(

--my sister followed someone whose dog was tied and jumped out and was drug - she got them stopped and the dog was just scared and so was the driver.

-- several weeks ago I was at my parent's house and Keegan was laying in the field and a pickup truck went sailing by with a doberman in it and it saw Keegan and good thing it was tied on a short leash b/c this guy had to be doing at least 60-65 mph and that doberman LUNGED and pulled and barked its fool head off all the way up the road - had it not been tied it would have been very scary for all involved!

veegan
09-12-2005, 01:09 AM
god yes that is a major pet peeve of mine. I LOVE when I see crates bungeed down in the back, been seeing that a lot lately, its wonderful! its illegal in washington for a dog to ride in the back unsecured, yet it happens all the time. :mad:

that photo you took though has got to be the worst! all that JUNK, and not even a back door!?!

Ginger's Mom
09-12-2005, 05:35 AM
Yes, it drives me crazy. Fortunately, we really do not see it that much around here. Almost all dogs ride in the cabs of trucks around here. But what a great contrast your other picture is. :) Three happy, healthy, and safe puppers going on an adventure. What a cute picture. :)

Pam
09-12-2005, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Ginger's Mom
But what a great contrast your other picture is. :) Three happy, healthy, and safe puppers going on an adventure. What a cute picture. :)

That's exactly what I thought too Joyce. What a CONTRAST when you see three dogs being loved and cared for as they should inside a vehicle (cute picture!!). My heart breaks for that dog in the truck. Imagine how he/she is treated at home too. It probably isn't much better. :(

JenBKR
09-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Grrr :mad: yes I can't STAND to see that!

elizabethann
09-12-2005, 09:56 AM
Yes is bothers me! Some people have no brains!

But on a good note, LOVE the photo of the pups!

gemini9961
09-12-2005, 01:06 PM
I hate it too. If someone was in the back with them and they were going slow, say if they were hunting then that's a different story, but to just have them in the back for no good reason upsets me.

lv4dogs
09-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Oh that bothers me SOOOO much, especially seeing as there isn't even a gate on the back of it & the dog is standing on junk, causing him not to get a good grip. The fact they are going 65 sure isn't good either.
I see that once in a while up here (not winter time thankgod) and it irks the heck out of me.

k9krazee
09-12-2005, 03:01 PM
:(

cyber-sibes
09-12-2005, 03:19 PM
That really bugs me too! No gate to boot!
The dog-sitter I use has a pickup truck (very nice, brand new) and will take dogs to the dogpark while you're away, she ties them in the bed of the truck-- but I thought to myself..."no way I'd let my dogs ride, even tied, in the back of a pickup truck!"
Scares the bee-geebers out of me!
(now just look at your three sweeties - cuteness overload!)

BitsyNaceyDog
09-12-2005, 03:38 PM
Yes, I hate that, and I see it almost everyday. Your pups look great! I hope you all had a fun camping trip.

Originally posted by Karen
Absolutely - it's something I am glad we never see around here. Our dogs rode in the back of Dad's pickup sometimes - when we kids were there, and it had a seat up against the cab of the truck, and a cap on the bed so none of us could fly out.

I thought I was the only kid who grew up like that. Haha. We too had a cap on the bed of my dads truck and he bought a van seat at a garage sale to put in the back for us kids. He secured the seat in the back and we rode back there, our dog sat back there with us too. And just like you we had that middle window, only our dog was small and could fit through it.

buttercup132
09-12-2005, 03:41 PM
my dad dose it to take the dogs out to the feild but thats not even a minute's drive he used to tie them on but now they are used to it and also he dosent have crap in the back of his truck and stuff,i know for a fact mine wouldn jump out they wait till the back is undone, also maybe that guy had just found that dog and he was saving it, many diff situations that could take place for that.

vinjashira
09-12-2005, 04:19 PM
that should be made illegal.. so dangerous.

dukedogsmom
09-12-2005, 05:52 PM
That so annoys me when I see it that it makes my blood boil! I feel so badly for the dogs, who could fall or jump out at any time. Anyone that claims to truly love their dogs would not let them ride like that.

LexieLove
09-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Oh my gosh it bothers me soo much too!! we were driving down the highway in houston with my aunt and this little sports car goes puling out in front of us and there was this little poodle on the back just about to fall off!!!!:eek: and i mean this car was going FAST and the freeway is so scary.. you never know whats going to happen.. so my aunt followed the car until we made sure the poodle was safely in the car again:) ..but some owners just dont think:rolleyes:

dab_20
09-12-2005, 07:10 PM
i love your dogs! they are cute.

i was watching 'emergency vets' on TV and they had a dog come in. what happened was the dog was tied up in the back of the pick-up and he jumped out. he got his tail stuck under the tire and it ripped all the fur off. they had to amputate it. this sounds disguisting but its true. its soooo sad. the ppl who owned the dog just left it outside of the vet place and left and didn't come back. i dont know how ppl can be so cruel!!

bckrazy
09-12-2005, 07:20 PM
>.< gerrr. I HATE that! The poor pup looks soo scared and uncomfortable, he's a BC too! I know that my BC would die if I put him in the back of an open pick-up... and he's on top of a bunch of junk. It's also illegal to have unsecured dogs in the back of pick-ups here, but I wish they had to be crated too. I know that I wouldn't have too much fun, even if I was a leashed up dog, sliding around the back of a pick-up while it's going 70 on the freeway. I always see people with their dogs huddled in the back, sliding around, while they have a perfectly vaccant passenger seat in the cab!!!

I wish you could've reported him too :rolleyes:

bckrazy
09-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by buttercup132
i know for a fact mine wouldn jump out they wait till the back is undone, also maybe that guy had just found that dog and he was saving it, many diff situations that could take place for that.

But, you do have a GSD and a Lab? Both pretty high prey-driven dogs. What if there was a cat running alongside/across the street at a stoplight? What is there to stop your dogs from jumping out after the cat and getting run over by a car, or falling from the car and getting badly injured?

Please, please consider just tying your dogs up ~ that one little inconvenience for you could save their lives and a ton of vet bills. or EVEN better, bungee their crates in the back!

dab_20
09-12-2005, 07:27 PM
i wouldent even tie up the dogs!! if you read the post i put earlier, you know why. put them in a crate or in the car!

Cincy'sMom
09-12-2005, 07:48 PM
How irritating! As others have said, the poor dog could easily get hurt.

I used to let my dogs ride in the back of the truck (rarely)...only if we were going a short distance, on city streets (no highway) and I had a cap on the truck, with a locking window, so they could not get out. I felt bad doing that, and only did it when I had to. A huge reason why my new truck is a 4 door with a backseat!