PDA

View Full Version : I got a stinking citation!!!

moosmom
09-11-2005, 06:29 PM
I opened my mail yesterday and there was an envelope from Ecorse's finest citing, me for parking on the street on Friday while they were trying to sweep them.

First of all, let me point out that I don't HAVE anywhere elese to park. It's a one way street that I never drive down and I do mean NEVER. I take an immediately left into the alley road that takes me onto the main road.

There were absolutely no signs indicating they were going to sweep the streets, or I would have tried to find another place to park.

I'm not paying this citation and am going to fight it. I have to call the traffic division tomorrow morning after 9 am.

K9soul
09-11-2005, 06:34 PM
If there were no signs against parking there how in the world were you supposed to know? Here in MN we have laws that we can't park on any street from 10 p.m. to 7 or 8 a.m. I think from November to May or so because if it snows it will hinder the snow plows, but there are signs all over that say that and a sign at the city limits sign that states it. Good luck fighting your ticket. If it's normally fine to park there and there was no warning that you couldn't, I don't see how they can fine you :confused:

ramanth
09-11-2005, 06:43 PM
That stinks!! :( :(

Good luck at the traffic division. *hugs*

catnapper
09-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Grrr.... I gotta love those citations. They go around picking on the little things, and ignore the big fat law breakers. :mad: WE keep getting citations for our weeds that are 10" tall... yet the biggest business in town has weeds 5 feet high and they do nothing about it!

I always wonder if we have "kick me" signs plastered to the bumeper.

Sirrahsim
09-11-2005, 07:51 PM
that stinks:( I used to think that the cops were there only to protect and serve.... then I got a ticket for failure to stop... according to the mp I stopped, but didn't wait a full *3 seconds* before moving on:mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Good luck fighting it :)

DJFyrewolf36
09-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Grrr, I would fight it too! Usually, if there is a situation where in which you can't park in a place, here they at least put up a sign or call people to inform them that there is going to be a no parking zone.

I got a stupid citation, well two of them, at the college last year. One was for parking at an expired parking meeter. I parked at a meeter that was next to a sign that said "Free parking from 5pm to 6am" and I parked there at 5:05. The citation was timestamped at 5:30. I tried to fight it but they said that it was free for people who had parking permits (of course the sign didn't say this) and I didn't have a permit at the time. They said I could pay the $35 fine or spend $300 on a permit so I wouldn't have to pay the fine :rolleyes: I paid the $35 lol.

The next one, which happened when I DID have a parking pass, I got fined for having a "Stolen permit". I had reciently switched cars and was unaware that you had to register your car with parking services so they can keep track of what cars have permits. What if your car breaks and you're borrowing someone elses? Anyway, they cited me for it and I had to go in with my registration papers to PROVE that my car was my car. :rolleyes: At least I didn't get charged for that one!

Kfamr
09-12-2005, 12:48 PM
You may want to take a picture of the area you parked - just so they can't go and put up a sign and make you look like a liar.

*Edited to add* and Take photos from several different angles so they can't say they're fake.

RedHedd
09-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
You may want to take a picture of the area you parked - just so they can't go and put up a sign and make you look like a liar. That's what I was going to say. I fought a ticket once, there apparently were signs, however because I'm short I couldn't see them as they were obscured by tree foliage. Nonetheless, they wouldn't dismiss the ticket and I had to pay it because I'm short! :mad:

DJFyrewolf36
09-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by RedHedd
That's what I was going to say. I fought a ticket once, there apparently were signs, however because I'm short I couldn't see them as they were obscured by tree foliage. Nonetheless, they wouldn't dismiss the ticket and I had to pay it because I'm short! :mad:

Now that isn't very nice at all :mad:

moosmom
09-13-2005, 01:36 PM
If there were signs, it would've been pretty damn hard NOT to see them, because the side street I park on has a building next to where I park.

I'm going to take pictures when I get home. I have a court date of Sept. 26. to explain my situation to the judge.