PDA

View Full Version : Does your pet have bad breath?

fairlady68
03-11-2002, 07:33 PM
Luckily my Julie cat will eat dry food without complaint. That seems to keep the bad breath under control. I find it is the wet food that really exacerbates this problem. I only notice an odor right after she eats the wet food that she gets a couple of times a month for a treat. But this usually goes away once she munches on some crunchies!

wolflady
03-11-2002, 08:44 PM
Actually, Yes! My cat Scooter just has the worst breath ever and my other cat Marius's is getting there, and I'm really REALLY needing to set him up a tooth cleaning appointment for both of them. The only problem is I'm really strapped in the funds department right now, but I'm concerned about how bad their breath is!! They both eat only dry food. Does anyone know about how much it costs for a tooth cleaning?? How do cats take it? I know they have to go under anesthesia, and I'm worried about taking Marius in after the horrible reaction he had to a regular vaccination!! I'm sure Scooter would be alright though.

My mom's cat Socks is also in need of a dental cleaning, but she's concerned about making an appointment because of his age. She was actually wondering if it would be worth the risk for him to get his teeth cleaned. He's 12 years old. Any advice or suggestions??

Logan
03-11-2002, 10:32 PM
Butter's breath is horrible!!! :o When he bites us, which is quite often, we have to go wash our hands because they stink too!!!

Finding the source of Butter's halitosis breath is on the agenda for when he finally lets me take him to the vet.

Logan

Former User
03-12-2002, 01:32 AM
Sometimes yes, depends on the food. Not all wet food give bad breath, I've noticed it is more when we give tuna or other fish, that their breath smells.

purrley
03-12-2002, 06:39 AM
OH MY YES they have bad breath, but I kiss them anyway;)

lynnestankard
03-12-2002, 10:26 AM
Purley - But Of Course You Do!!!!!!! Don't we all? Stinky breath or not we luv 'em furbabies!!!:D :D

Ours eat dried food the whole time - and Bagel and Dan seem OK but Ketchum - pweh smelly boy! Bit like you Logan whenever he's been playing and/or licking hands, we have to go and wash them!!

D'you know I think I have the only cats in the world who don't like tuna!!! All three of them too. So at least that doesn't add to poor old Ketchums problem:o

Lynne

momoffuzzyfaces
03-12-2002, 04:47 PM
Leonardo's breath could knock a mule over! The other 3 cats don't seem cursed with the problem, yet anyway! :)

Edwina's Secretary
03-14-2002, 09:04 AM
Edwina gets her teeth cleaned every other year. Her vet suggests every year but it pains me so to have it done to her and my sister-in-law who is a vet says every other is sufficient. Even though she eats dry food (except for the treats my husband gives her :mad: ) she has a plaque problem.

The last time she had a cleaning was not a good experience. She was mad and woozy for a few days. (I suspect she was not well behaved and they may have felt the need to use more force.) As a result we switched to a "cats only" clinic. I discussed with the vet how they do the cleaning and they use a method that can best be discribed as putting the cat in an aquarium and blowing gas into the aquarium. This allows the minimum amount of ether (I can't spell the correct word) to be breathed by the cat.

She will be having her cleaning in the next month or two. I believe it costs about $125 (another reason for every other year.)

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-14-2002, 07:18 PM
I think Tinky has sweet breath. It may be because she is still a kitten. You know that sweet smell of a puppy's breath, it smells like that kinda but not as strong. I only feed her dry food, and that may be the reason too. I give her tuna every once in a while, when I just can't stand her cuteness anymore.:D

purrley
03-15-2002, 06:32 AM
Sara -"When you Just Can't Stand her Cuteness" when does that ever happen? NOT OFTEN I bet;) ;)

Randi
03-15-2002, 09:56 AM
Our Fister had a really bad breath, but after we took him to the vet and got his teeth cleaned, it dissapeared completely. He had to have two out - one was loose already, after a fight with another cat and the rest needed a good cleaning. Our vet used utra sound (is that what it's called in english?) and we got him back with shining white teeth - ready for a toothpaste commercial! :D He was under anesthesia of course, but the vet gave him a smaller dose because it was his first time there - and it worked sufficiently! :)

We're now feeding him dry food mostly and that helps to keep his teeth in a good condition. :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-15-2002, 05:45 PM
Sara -"When you Just Can't Stand her Cuteness" when does that ever happen? NOT OFTEN I bet

I almost consider myself lucky that I can't understand what she is saying. Just lookin at that sweet little face, I would give into ANYTHING she wanted!!!

wolflady
03-15-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Sara luvs her Tinky

I almost consider myself lucky that I can't understand what she is saying. Just lookin at that sweet little face, I would give into ANYTHING she wanted!!!

LOL LOL Isn't that so true??!! It's just not fair how cute they are!!!:rolleyes: LOL LOL

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-16-2002, 12:52 AM
It's just not fair how cute they are!!!

AMEN to that wolf lady.............just like it has been said before you could be twisted up like a pretzel trying to sleep and your furkid hoggin all the room and you won't budge while your little precious ball of furr is comfortable.....:D :p

purrley
03-18-2002, 06:45 AM
AWWW Sara - what a sweetheart you are!!! The ideal furmom for sure:) :) Bless Ya!!!!

sammi
03-18-2002, 08:19 AM
The other night my pillow landed on the floor & I found Buddy sound to sleep resting his head on it! So I slept the rest of the night without a pillow.:D

purrley
03-18-2002, 08:26 AM
:D :D Sammi - now that's the ultimate sacrafice:D :D

04-08-2002, 01:10 PM
ha , lol !!
No my cat Sydney never had a bad breath .
But my previous cat ( I was still with my parent then) had an awful breath , and it got worse day by day .
A visit to the vet learned us two things : first he had 2 bad teeth , which had to be pulled out ; and second , his stomach was not working as it should . A week medicine and extraction of the teeth took care of it all !! TWIST lived happily ever after !!!:D