PDA

View Full Version : The best photo hosting site?

gini
09-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Ally Cat's Mommy just gave me this idea.

I was downloading pictures the other evening on Imagestation.
It took soooo long - even with their "E-Z" new loader. And now they want me to upgrade and pay for a Platinum level service. Not sure what this is........and I only have a few days to sign up.
Is this just the beginning of annual fees and eventually I could lose my pictures if I don't pay??

I wanted to get some feedback from the rest of you about which sites you think are the very best and easiest and reliable.
I notice that a lot of times Imagestation is down..........and pictures can't be shown.

Imagestation
Kodak
ShutterFly
Snapfish

Is there really a "best" out there?

Thanks!! xxoo

Roxyluvsme13
09-10-2005, 03:51 PM
i use photobucket and i know a lot of others do too...photobucket is good.....

joanofark
09-10-2005, 03:52 PM
I think the best is Photobucket.com. Its pretty reliable. Its hardly ever down. And it is never slow for me:)

Kfamr
09-10-2005, 03:56 PM
I used to really like photobucket, but now they've limited the amount of pictures you're able to store.
I think the "best" way to go is get your own server and use it through an FTP program.

EssTer
09-10-2005, 04:05 PM
I use usually photobucket.com or imagestation, also I´ve started using one Icelandic page very much - www.dyrarikid.is/gallery although it´s in icelandic lol :)

Logan
09-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Shutterfly is off the list now, Gini. There is no way to post pictures from their site to here. I had found a loophole, but it is closed now, too.

Logan

fritz03
09-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Try using photobucket.It works great.You don't have to upgrade if don't want to and you can set up a free account.

Chica
09-10-2005, 09:51 PM
I use photobucket also. I don't have any problems with it.;)

popcornbird
09-10-2005, 10:58 PM
I like Photobucket too. They do limit space, BUT...I just went and opened a new account. 'snicker'

:p

Craftlady
09-10-2005, 11:03 PM
I love Photobucket. Very reliable and user friendly.

Cinder & Smoke
09-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Photobucket:

** Pros:
* It's free (for now)
* Works pretty well most of the time

**Cons:
* They keep changing the "rules"
* They limit the amount of storage (# of photos)
* They limit the number of times your photos can be viewed per month
* They used to threaten if you didn't "visit" oftten, they'd delete your pix

ImageStation:

**Pros:
* Been around a long time
* Owned by Sony - prolly WILL be around a while longer
* NO storage limits
* They *ignore* folks directly linking photos on web sites
(as long as you don't abuse the privilage)
* They offer cheap prints and "Back-Up" CD's and DVD's)
* They try to offer "live help" - quality varies depending on WHO you get!

**Cons:
* It ain't "FREE" no more!!
* They DO "prohibit" directly linking photos onto web sites like PT -
they just don't "enforce" that rule (YET!)
* Site does go down for maint & mods :mad:
* Can be VERY SLOW to load photos - it's better late at night

------------------------------------------

Fair WARNING to current ImageStation Users!!

If you have photos "stored" on ImageStation ...
You should visit and READ the current "User Agreement" and
be sure you UNDERSTAND the "Upgrade Policy" as it relates
to the new "Membership FEES" ...
They really Want you to PAY a minimal Yearly Fee to store photos ...

You can read it either way if they will or won't :eek: Delete your
stored photos if you Don't Pay up ...
I decided NOT to take a chance and "paid" for the Gold Level. ($20 / year)

The "minimum" membership is only $5.00 a year -
good Insurance that your stored photos won't vanish!

/s/ Phred

krazyaboutkatz
09-10-2005, 11:44 PM
I also use photobucket and I love it.:) If I go over my storage limit, I just delete a few photos from old threads so it really isn't a problem for me.;)

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-11-2005, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
I also use photobucket and I love it.:) If I go over my storage limit, I just delete a few photos from old threads so it really isn't a problem for me.;)

A question: where can I see the storage limit?
Poppy, I have 2 accounts too :D ;)

I have lots of pics on imagestation too, and also received that upgrade-warning. What will happen when I don't pay??Will I loose all pics:eek: :confused:

slick
09-11-2005, 06:50 AM
I've never had a problem with Imagestation, mind you, I only have about 10 photos stored there. I only store the photos I want to post and after a few months, I delete them from Imagestation. I have them all stored on CD so I don't worry. Maybe that's why I've never had any "upgrade" notices.

Rachel
09-11-2005, 06:56 AM
I use Photobucket, but when I post pictures, the quality varies. Sometimes they come up bigger and better, other times they come up compressed and not that good quality, even though my photo was good to begin with. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Personally I still miss Pointpoint, it was the best photo website ever.

swimma253
09-11-2005, 09:35 AM
I use photobucket, in my opinion its the best. I have gone over the storage limit many times. I think Im up to 4 accounts now. :p The only thing I dislike about it is it takes FOREVER to load my ppics, because they are so big! :o

Carly

lvpets2002
09-11-2005, 10:03 AM
:) I use PhotoBucket also & have not had any problems with them.. Their yearly fee is very affordable..

Cinder & Smoke
09-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Maya & Inka's mommy

I have lots of pics on imagestation too, and
also received that upgrade-warning.
What will happen when I don't pay??
Will I loose all pics :eek: :confused:

Did you see this posted above? >>>

Fair WARNING to current ImageStation Users!!

If you have photos "stored" on ImageStation ...
You should visit and READ the current "User Agreement" and
be sure you UNDERSTAND the "Upgrade Policy" as it relates
to the new "Membership FEES" ...
They really Want you to PAY a minimal Yearly Fee to store photos ...

You can read it either way if they will or won't Delete your
stored photos if you Don't Pay up ...
I decided NOT to take a chance and "paid" for the Gold Level. ($20 / year)

The "minimum" membership is only $5.00 a year -
good Insurance that your stored photos won't vanish!

-------------------------------------------

/s/ Phred

Randi
09-11-2005, 11:20 AM
This seems to happen with all the storage sites we've been using over the past few years, and to be honest, I can't blame them that they want a little for their service.

Some people are uploading pictures like there's no tomorrow, and not even resizing them. I think it's a lack of respect and will ruin it for everybody in the long run. Upload the best ones, the ones you want to post, and keep a copy on your harddisc.

Barbara
09-11-2005, 11:52 AM
I just paid 5$ for my Silver membership at Imagestation. I think it is worth that much- regarding the fact that they will never make much sales out of me living in a different continent.

slleipnir
09-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I used to really like photobucket, but now they've limited the amount of pictures you're able to store.
I think the "best" way to go is get your own server and use it through an FTP program.

I agree. That's what I do.

luvofallhorses
09-11-2005, 06:01 PM
I like photobucket and I have 4 accounts there as of now :o but it takes me forever to get my pics uploaded, like Carly because they are so big and I resize them. :)

poofy
09-12-2005, 12:21 AM
"best" way to go is get your own server and use it through an FTP program.

How do you do the above???
I use photobucket..but just keep what i want to use there , and delete photos often.

binka_nugget
09-12-2005, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by poofy
"best" way to go is get your own server and use it through an FTP program.

How do you do the above???
I use photobucket..but just keep what i want to use there , and delete photos often.

Find a hosting company and get a domain and space from them. I pay $7 a year for my domain oh-my-dog.net and about 5 bucks a month for LOTS of space. I think I get 30 gigs of bandwidth (lots and lots of sharing with others) and 2 gigs of space. I'm currently with Magicomm.net on a custom plan but they have a $1 plan that I used for a while too. I think you get 200mbs on that plan.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-12-2005, 09:02 AM
Having struggled with Imagestation I am now a convert to Photobucket! So much easier..........

BitsyNaceyDog
09-12-2005, 12:16 PM
I either use photobucket or I upload my pictures to Justin's server. It depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

todd
09-12-2005, 10:14 PM
i use photobucket