PDA

View Full Version : Monster Goldfish!

Jennsen
09-10-2005, 02:02 PM
I put these 15 cent feeder goldfish in my outside pond in the spring when they were about an inch long. I took them out yesterday to put them in a tank for the winter, and WOW! have they grown!!! They are so huge I dont think my 10 gallon tank is going to be big enough!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/LynnSea7/tanks.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/LynnSea7/tank.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/LynnSea7/fishes.jpg

IRescue452
09-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Yep that happens. Cute fishies though. Depot must be some sort of koi/comet mix because she doesn't look a thing like a common goldfish. I'm still wondering why she isn't bigger at four years old. She's smaller than your fish. I really never understood how the myth got around that goldfish can live life in bowls and small tanks, it was such a common belief but nobody seemed to know how big they grow, no matter how many people had. Did they all die before they got big back in the day? Guess we'll never know.

chocolatepuppy
09-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Uh oh! Time for a bigger tank! They are beautiful! I love goldfish! :D

ashleycat
09-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Did they grow big cus they had room to grow?

Could they grow customed to their surroundings?

IRescue452
09-10-2005, 09:34 PM
If you put a puppy in a cage does it stop the dog from growing, no. Same with fish I believe

salamander
09-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Everything grows!!:) For example: I got my first 2 salamanders right when they lost their gills, and about 2 or 3 weeks later, they were HUGE.

cocker_luva
09-11-2005, 10:26 PM
wow

CagneyDog
09-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by IRescue452
If you put a puppy in a cage does it stop the dog from growing, no. Same with fish I believe

Actually, thats not true. They will grow according to their tank.

Suki Wingy
09-11-2005, 10:37 PM
yes, but be dwarfed and have many health problems if the tank is too small, right?

king2005
09-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by CagneyDog
Actually, thats not true. They will grow according to their tank.

Yes it is true.
Fish never stop growing until they r fully grown. When u place them intoa tiny tank, it will slow their growth down, & that brings on health issues & then death. Goldfish r supose to live long lives, not just a couple of years.

I've been raising fish for many years now & the same with my parents. Mind u my fish r a we bit harder to care for. they grow to a foot long & have nasty bites.

If a kid in a pet store told u they grow to their enviroments, they are wrong, they know nothing about fish at all. Go to a "REAL" fish store & they will give u proper information (like Big Al's).

PJ's Mom
09-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Suki Wingy
yes, but be dwarfed and have many health problems if the tank is too small, right?

Right. :)

Putting a big fishie in a little tank or expecting a fish to stop growing when it reaches it's tank length is certain to cause health problems. :(

puggywuggles41893
09-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Wow! They have gotten big!:D