PDA

View Full Version : I'm not above bribery...

tricollie4me
09-10-2005, 09:49 AM
I finally got the notion to simply bribe my collie girl, Bijou, in order for her to be more compliant with home grooming. I love brushing her, I think it's one of the loveliest things to do for a dog; however, Bijou hates to be groomed. I've never been succesful at brushing her at home, despite many attempts and different techniques. Because she managed to deal with the groomers when we took her in for baths/brushing/etc., I knew it was just a matter of finding the best way to have her comfortable at home with me doing the brushing.

This morning in a blink of clarity on the matter, I decided to offer her the one thing she cannot refuse, and the one thing that might give me enough time to brush her out...a Greenie. She loves these little things and she gets one almost every day, but this time I gave her one with my right hand, with her brush and shedding comb held in my other hand. As she gnawed, she watched me warily, and I knew she'd run if I let her go! So I held her collar with one hand and brushed and combed her as thoroughly and quickly as I could. I got about 10 minutes of solid attention to her hugely thick coat, and Bijou even relaxed enough to lay down and work on her Greenie as I continued. I was so proud of her! In hindsight, it seems obvious -- give her something she wants more than her dislike of being brushed.

Hopefully, over time, she'll come to enjoy being brushed, but even if she just gets to the point of tolerating it, it'll be a welcome improvement! I'm going to continue my little trick every day...she's such a sweet girl and she absolutely needs the grooming!

BTW, you'd think with five kids I'd have tried this months ago, but it finally dawned on me that just as with my kids, distraction, love and a special treat is often the best way to get through something difficult!

:)

Karen
09-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Heee hee - that's the way to do it! Spoonful of sugar ...

joycenalex
09-10-2005, 10:44 AM
alex thewonder dog often gets a bath with peanut butter spread on the farwall of the tub,....whatever works right;)

tricollie4me
09-10-2005, 11:17 AM
joycenalex, that is a brilliant idea! :)

veegan
09-10-2005, 01:01 PM
haha congrats on the revalation and the success! ;)

another thing you can try is ONLY give her greenies when shes getting groomed. this will make greenies even more of a special treat for her, and will help her associate GREAT things with grooming!