PDA

View Full Version : Payson dropped out of school.

Uabassoon
09-10-2005, 01:02 AM
We had a talk with our trainer today and decided that it would be best to take a break and wait a little while before taking Payson back to school. He was just so uncomfortable there and unable to focus on anything. We were getting frustrated and we could tell he was frustrated because he didn't understand what we wanted from him.

Right now we are just going to focus on simple things like getting him used to new environments. We are going to try to take him out as often as possible so that eventually we will be able to get his attention in a new environment. Today he went to Starbucks and to Petsmart. I think it was good for him, lots of people pet him and talked to him. After a while at Starbucks he even felt comfortable enough to take a nap.

So I hope we made the right choice, but I really think this it what was best. We just had such a hard time getting his attention, that I think we just need to work on that alone before we can work on anything else. They offered us a refund or a credit and we chose to take the credit because we do want to take him back.

At least for now I can't complain because he's a doll at home and that is what is most important to me.

Ginger's Mom
09-10-2005, 06:33 AM
I am sure that however you work with Payson, you will do what is best for him. How long has he been with you now? Who knows what the poor boy went through before you adopted him. Good luck, and take heart, I am sure that he loves doing different things with you, and will start learn to listen to you with all kinds of distractions.

lizbud
09-10-2005, 10:55 AM
I think you made a wise decision. Just keep on taking him places with you & work on a few commands with him. He won't
have the stress of a class inviroment so this time could be used
to strengthen the emotional bond with his people. Formal lessons
can wait awhile. Payson will still be learning, just not in a formal
enviroment.

veegan
09-10-2005, 12:57 PM
aw thats too bad, but def sounds like you made the right decision. and it was really nice of the trainer to give you a credit! exposing him to new environments and getting more socialization is wonderful, that should definitely help him. its never too late to go to classes, and you can always work on training at home. when my dogs are going crazy and embarassing me in public lol I just remind myself that like us, no dog is perfect, they all have different strengths and weaknesses, but we love them anyway. :) he has a great home with you, is safe and loved, and thats what is important. good luck with everything!

Uabassoon
09-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Ginger's Mom we've had Payson for around 2 months. I get the feeling he was a lawn ornament type of dog, just left outside all the time by himself. Which I think would explain why he is so scared of new places. It's obvious that he wasn't socialized at all before. It took weeks for him to just get used to the backyard.

Karen
09-10-2005, 06:06 PM
I think you made the right decision. Poor guy needs to get used to just being a loved dog. Once he's more secure about his place in the world, and his firm spot in your hearts, then he can go back to school a little older and much wiser. Bet he'll be the star pupil then!

Giselle
09-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Aw Payson, Lucky has the same problem. We brought him to a relatively quiet training class and he went beserk! I pulled him out and we're content with training and socializing on the dog trails, which are very quiet and peaceful with a minimum of disturbance. Do you have any of these trails near you? They really did help with Lucky's fear. Also, I just wanted to add that the minute Payson starts to "go deaf", it's time to back up to a quieter place. You made the right choice :)

Have you bought "The Cautious Canine" by Patricia McConnell? It's a short booklet that costs, oh say, 5$, but it is so worth it!

veegan
09-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Also, I just wanted to add that the minute Payson starts to "go deaf", it's time to back up to a quieter place.

thats a good point.

oh yeah, Patricia McConnell is awesome! you can prob find that book at http://dogwise.com its a great site, kinda like amazon.com for dog trainers lol

Giselle
09-11-2005, 12:33 AM
I ordered mine on BN.com. Hehe, I admit, I'm a Barnes and Noble fanatic. I usually don't buy the book if I can't find it on BN :p

Crikit
09-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Don't feel bad about taking Payson out of school right now. You did what you thought was best for him. Having a rescue dog is a lot different then having one from a puppy because you're never really sure about what kind of life they had before they came to be with you, believe me I know all about that.

Just take some time and get Payson out there seeing new things and meeting new people eventually with time you should be able to go back to class where I'm sure that Payson will be the star pupil.

finn's mom
09-11-2005, 01:12 AM
it sounds like the best decision! good luck with the home schooling. ;)

Uabassoon
09-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the book suggestion. Right we have the Culture Clash, it was given to us on our first day of training class. I'm only on the second chapter but I really want to finish reading it. I try to order the Caution Canine soon, hopefully that will help me as well.