PDA

View Full Version : A list of abbreviations of USA states, please?

Randi
03-11-2002, 09:39 AM
Does anyone have a list of all the abbreviations of USA states? I know I could probably find one somewhere on the net, but some of you just might have one handy!? I think I know only about half of them. :o

Thanks! :)

Randi
03-11-2002, 10:32 AM
Spencer the Lion! Thanks a lot, just what I wanted! Now I can see where everybody is from! :D

Hope you're feeling better today. Are you keeping your diet! ;)

lynnestankard
03-11-2002, 03:27 PM
What a good idea Randi :D

Thanks again Chuck for coming up with just the right link - I had been wondering where ND was - so it's North Dakota eh?:) :)

Lynne

Randi
03-11-2002, 03:42 PM
Lynnestankard! I'm glad you don't think I'm a moron for asking. Like spencer says: It's confusing with all the ones starting with M.
Interesting also to know about the East and Westcoast, I bet not many Europeans know this. :)

anna_66
03-11-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
What a good idea Randi :D

Thanks again Chuck for coming up with just the right link - I had been wondering where ND was - so it's North Dakota eh?:) :)

Lynne

Wondering where North Dakota was! Can you believe I used to live there! Your not missing much by not knowing where it is!

http://www.photogra.com/index.cfm?p=viewphoto&albumID=35355&PG=Yes&d=1 http://www.photogra.com/galleries/37743/thumb/4456395_20020308_160115_20020308162305_t.jpg

gini
03-11-2002, 04:28 PM
That site is just terrific. Recently with all of the negative in the news it depresses me. I had the thought that I wondered if it was just as bad the year I was born. (there will be no discussion of "which" year).

I logged on my birth year - and the news/headlines were just as depressing as today. I guess we haven't learned much since I was born. We are still fighting, only now it is in the middle east and Afghanistan instead of someplace else.

Maybe we should move Pettalkville to ND - there may not be a lot happening there - but at least it is a sane place.

LoudLou
03-11-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Randi
Lynnestankard! I'm glad you don't think I'm a moron for asking. Like spencer says: It's confusing with all the ones starting with M.
Interesting also to know about the East and Westcoast, I bet not many Europeans know this. :)

:o Ya know sad to say there are a lot of us who live here in the U.S. who didn't know that either.:o ;) ;) :D

Angels3
03-11-2002, 05:22 PM
Thanks, SpencerTheLion. I couldn't figure out the US states starting with 'M' ...now I'll know which is what!:)
Marie

*LabLoverKEB*
03-11-2002, 09:44 PM
Alabama- AL
Alaska- AK
Arizona-AZ
Arakansas-AR
California-CA
Colorado-CO
Connecticut-CT
Delaware-DE
Florida-FL
Georgia-GA
Hawaii-HI
Idaho-ID
Illinois-IL
Indiana-IN
Iowa-IA
Kansas-KS
Kentucky-KY
Louisana-LA
Maine-ME
Maryland-MD
Massachusetts-MA
Michigan-MI
Minnesota-MN
Mississippi-MS
Missouri-MO
Montana-MT
Nebraska-NE
Nevada-NV
New Hampshire-NH
NewJersey-NJ
New Mexica-NM
New York-NY
North Carolina-NC
North Dakota-ND
Ohio-OH
Oklahoma-OK
Oregon-OR
Pennsylvania-PA
Rhode Island-RI
South Carolina-NC
South Dakota-SD
Tennessee-TN
Texas-TX
Utah-UT
Vermont-VT
Virginia-VA
Washington-WA
West Virginia-WV
Whisconsin-WA
Wyoming-WY

I hope this helps! :) ;)

Karen
03-11-2002, 10:02 PM
Couple of typo's in the stat names there, kiddo - should be Wisconsin=WI
Arkansas=AR

and it's New Mexico!=NM

but otherwise a good list!

The list Spencer linked to has some ones, like Guam, that aren't actually states - Guam, which is in the Pacific ocean west of Hawaii but East of Japan, is not a state, it's a "protectorate" as are a couple others on that lists. Gets confusing!

*LabLoverKEB*
03-11-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Couple of typo's in the stat names there, kiddo - should be Wisconsin=WI
Arkansas=AR

and it's New Mexico!=NM

but otherwise a good list!

Thank you, Karen!!! :) ;) Oops, I noticed the typos!:o Sorry!

Love.
Sarah & Sadie

lbaker
03-12-2002, 06:30 AM
..and there are lot's of local spots that aren't that well known to "outsiders" either. Around here (mid-Atlantic) if you refer to the Eastern Shore it means the east side of the Chesapeake Bay. If you refer to the west side you simply write western shore (with no caps):confused: Everybody knows the Eastern Shore is where you get the best corn, blue crabs, asperagoose etc.:p :D

Edwina's Secretary
03-12-2002, 09:11 AM
When I cannot sleep at night (which unfortunately is alot of the time) I recite the states in aphabetical order. If that doesn't do it, I recite the state capitals in alpha order.

Consequently, I'm very good at trivia games about the states (e.g. the four state capitals with the word "city" in them.) But I still can't sleep!

Randi
12-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Sara, I stole your idea and did the same - now I see why got stuck on B and J. Must admit I had problems when I got to D, too. ;) But I cheated and used cities (Denver).

I wonder how you US folks would do with European countries? :eek: LOL!

phesina
12-06-2008, 06:30 PM
What exactly is Spencer the Lion? I did a search and found another pet site, this one saying "Talk Pets!" Hmmmmm...

Where does it give the states' abbreviations?

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-07-2008, 06:21 AM
What exactly is Spencer the Lion? I did a search and found another pet site, this one saying "Talk Pets!" Hmmmmm...

That is a former member, who left several years ago:)

phesina
12-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Hmmm... The similarity AND dissimilarity are notable.

Grace
12-07-2008, 09:17 AM

I'm with phesina right now. Where is the link that is alluded to in the second and succeeding posts?

Randi
12-07-2008, 09:33 AM
The link has probably been removed long ago, but here's one: http://www.usps.com/ncsc/lookups/abbreviations.html#states