PDA

View Full Version : Cats on vehicles HELP ASAP

lv4dogs
09-09-2005, 12:55 PM
I know that like every other post of mine is always asking for help. I'm sorry & do try to post more pics & happy posts but time is so limited. My life has been so very hectic. I thought it would calm down by now but it has only gotten worse. I promise as soon as things calm down I'll bombard you with pics & the such!

My Emergancy:
As you know I have 2 cats, Meko & Tiki. They are indoor/outdoor cats. They both like to lay on top of vehicles, Meko more so that Tiki. Even though I don't mind them on my cars I have always still tried to keep them off. I got them to be up there less but they still sometimes get up on vehicles.

My neighbor got a brand new truck and knows that my cats like to lay on vehicles sometimes. He warned me that if he ever catches a caat, doesn't matter what cat or whos cat, on his truck that he will kill it. And believe me he will.
Now I have NEVER seen my cats on anyone elses vehicle, don't ya know it just 2 nights I caught Meko on his truck. :eek: Luckily he didn't see her up there & she left no scratches. And I didn't tell on her either.

So I have been trying to keep them inside. Hahhahaha. They have ripped 3 screens so far, 2 of them were that pet scratch/chew resistant screening.
The pet screen won't work & I can't afford to keep all my windows shut. Heck I can't even afford to replace all the screening on all my windows at this moment even if I found something that would work. The a/c costs too much to run in my whole house all the time & I need the fresh air to help with my allergies to the cats. I can't afford to pay for a new paint job on a truck either. And I certainly can't afford to loose one of my beloved kitties.

I offered to buy my neighbor a scat mat or 2 or the like to put on his truck but he says:
A. He does not want anything on his truck
&
B. He shouldn't have to, the cats are not his problem
So I offered to buy him one of those scat noise makers that is supposed to keep animals away, he doesn't want anything on his property, because of his reason B.

I am out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions at all?

ramanth
09-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Get an air horn. When you see your cats on your car (or any vehicle), scare them with it.

Cats are creatures of habit. The car is warm and so they lay on it and they have not been deterred from such activity.

If you sound that air horn when they are on it, they'll associate that sound with the car.

Or you can get in the car and lay on that horn.

Or turn the hose on them.

Good luck.

catmandu
09-09-2005, 01:12 PM
THAT,IS A SHAME,THAT YOU LIVE,NEXT,TO BE A MEAN SPIRITED OAF,WHOSE THINKS,THAT MANS CREATIONS,ARE MORE IMPORTANT,THAN GODS CREATURES.
AND I HAVE THE FEELING,THAT IF THIS BOOB TRIED,TO GRAB YOUR CAT,THE BOOB,WOULD GET PRETTY BADLY SCRATCHED UP.
I WILL TRY,THE AIRHORN,JUST IN CASE MR GOOFS BITE,IS WORSE,THAN HIS BARK,AS BUGSBUNNY SAID,WHAT A MARRROOOON!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture675.jpg

Sonia59
09-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
Get an air horn. When you see your cats on your car (or any vehicle), scare them with it.

I would think the same, but isn't there a risk that they try another car then?? (may be a stupid idea)

I have no other idea for you. OMG your neighbour is :mad: :mad: :mad: unfortunately those kind of people exist everywhere in the world! They probably don't like human beings either!

lv4dogs
09-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Although I don't mind cats on my vehicles I have always scared them off when I catch them on them.
Creatures of habit... 2 years of being scared off cars & she still gets on them???
Sometimes she knows she shouldn't be up there & jumps right down as soon as she notices that I notice her up there. Other times she looks at me like "who do you think you are trying to get me off of here".

Meko will lay on cold, wet cars, she doesn't care. I think she just likes to be up & off the ground. I have many other high places she can lay but she chooses the vehicles... well sometimes.

I'll try the air horn thing but I don't know if my neighbors would appreciate that. I willcertainly give it a try, for daytime use only though.

Turning on a hose, great... but what if it is when I catch her on someone elses car? I can't turn on a house (it won't reach anyways) on this guys truck. He'd kill me & her, unless I washed & dried it too. lol

Granted I have only caught her on his truck once & never anyone elses vehicle. I did have to coax her down nice & quietly so the evil neighbor wouldn't notice that she was up there. So if I do catch her on his truck how can I scare her off without the neighbor noticing that she is up there.

lvpets2002
09-09-2005, 01:23 PM
:) Well if it was me I would turn your babies to be indoors only {as I do mine} however I know it is hard if your babies already know the outdoor world.. I am :( on that mean old **%%!!?/ that lives next to you. By the way does he have pets at all or does he just hate cats??

Logan
09-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Sounds like indoor only time to me, too. Sorry that I don't have a better suggestion.

My cats are outdoors, and Butter gets on our cars, and occasionally one neighbor's truck, but they like him, and the fact that he hunts in their yard (gets all the voles), so they have no problem. But, if I thought the threat was out there to "kill" one of mine, I wouldn't hesitate to make them miserable if it saved their life!

Logan

LaRana
09-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Air horn might work, Indoors definitely would work, and I'd also put a surveillance camera on the neighbor's driveway where he parks the car and see what he does with your cat if he ever does "catch your cat" so you can have evidence to go to the police if he ever hurts your babies.

lv4dogs
09-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks guys. I don't have a problem with making my cats miserable & keeping them inside if it means saving their lives, but how can I? They rip through the screens, even screens that are made special to prevent pets from getting through them?
I can not afford much right now. I can't even afford to replace the ones they broke but I have to.

I can't keep the windows shut cause I'm allergic to the cats and my allergies are a lot better with the fresh air. I already have air filters & purifies, one in almost every room.

My neighbor has 2 beagles which he says are hunting dogs. In 2 years I've never seen them leave their little 6'x6' pen, not even to hunt.
They are outside 24/7. He says he brings them inside in carriers when it gets too cold out, I've never seen that either.

He did say numerous times that he likes my cats (before he got the truck) because my cats are always catching mice around our houses. In fact they caught one in his yard this morning.
I think they live in the straw bundles that he keeps & uses for his dog pen. And from his wood piles too.

CalliesMom
09-09-2005, 03:38 PM
:( That has to be a very difficult situation. I'm not really sure what to suggest, but I hope you can work things out with your neighbor. He HAS NO RIGHT to harm an animal just because it goes on his car; if he does, I would definitely call the police and the Humane Society. Some people just make me so mad...it's a material possession. :mad:

Logan
09-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by CalliesMom
:( That has to be a very difficult situation. I'm not really sure what to suggest, but I hope you can work things out with your neighbor. He HAS NO RIGHT to harm an animal just because it goes on his car; if he does, I would definitely call the police and the Humane Society. Some people just make me so mad...it's a material possession. :mad:

I agree with you in principle, but most communities have leash laws that apply to cats as well as dogs. Thankfully, my neighbors don't get upset that my cats are outside at times. But others might, especially when they are using flowerbeds for litterboxes and vehicles for warm sleeping spots. It's a fact.

Just be careful, Robyn. Wish I had some better ideas for you. I am so grateful that Butter and Mimi spend most of their outside time in our driveway and yard. Even more than that is spent indoors.

Logan

Logan

moosmom
09-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Oh those men and their toys!!!! You KNOW what they say about a man's BIG truck compensating for their otherwise small (and I do mean small) equipment.

Sounds to me like he hates cats. What a jerk!!!! :mad: May a bazillion birds fly over his truck and let one lose all over is nice new truck and ruin the paint job. :mad:

lv4dogs
06-05-2006, 02:21 PM
UPDATE:
I am brining this up again because you guessed it, Meko is at it again, this time Handsome is in on it too.

Between the suggestions yous have posted before and trying to keep her inside she has actually behaved for quite some time, months & months. Then a couple weeks ago she started it again & nothing is working.

Handsome can NOT be an inside only cat, he will pee & poop out of the box, scratches things up, is aggressive to the other animals, etc.. etc..

We are however trying to keep Meko in and are actually doing an ok job at it. She'e VERY good at darting out the door under your feet and there's always a lot of people & pets going in & out, yet we've managed to keep her in for 4-5 consecutive days so far. She is NOT happy. But of course as the weather gets nicer the windows will be more open again. Meko can get out of screens, even the pet-proof ones that I posted about priviously.

I have talked with my neighbor, asked him if I bought a scat mat if he would be willing to put it on his trucks hood. Of course he said no. He said it probably wouldn't work, or it would scratch his truck (I even offered to buy a nice fleece blanket or the like to put under it) and he also said it is not his responsibility to put the mat on his truck every time he parks it. Which I have to admit he is correct on the last one, it is not his responsibility.

Now granted I have not actually caught her up there but he says he has multiple times. I think she was getting up there at night or when I am at work. I can not afford a viceo camera to tape it when I am not there, heck I can not afford much of anything lately.

I am afraid this is my last warning from this guy so this is my last chance. Does anyone have any more/different advice?

If worse comes to worse and I can NOT keep her inside only would it be mean of me to find a home for her? (VERY LAST step of course, she's my heart cat, the cat who got me to like cats). But I honestly do not know what else to do. :(

Kfamr
06-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Sue,
I know you said you can't afford much but is there anyway you can buy a small outdoor enclosure or make one yourself? With a kitty door leadin to the enclosure so they can go in/out as they please but still be safe??

lv4dogs
06-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Sue,
I know you said you can't afford much but is there anyway you can buy a small outdoor enclosure or make one yourself? With a kitty door leadin to the enclosure so they can go in/out as they please but still be safe??

I am not allowed to up ANY type of fencing what so ever on my property. I own the trailer but rent the land. :rolleyes: (well the small garden fencing we can have, but nothing taller than 1.5'). Unless it is grandfathered in anyways (there before you moved in).

moosmom
06-05-2006, 02:51 PM
I have a friend who built an enclosure with an opening through their basement window. They go in and out whenever they want. It has a big tree branch and a bunch of ledges for them to sit on. It's built with 2x4's and chicken wire. That might be your only recourse. They're pretty simple to make. Got a spare basement window??? It's worth it so you don't have to worry about Mr. Macho A-hole killing one of your cats.

The only other option I can think of is indoors only with Feliway Defusers.

Keep us posted.

Gary,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture675.jpg

This pictures has "GOT MILK" written all over it!!! Too cute!

Catty1
06-05-2006, 07:16 PM
I know Kirsten has a cat run - you might ask her about it, or check with a godo pet store.

Also - do your cats have things to do indoors? Like cat trees with dangly things, etc? That might help, too - if they have a couple of play/lounge spaces.

Wonder if your local Animal Control would have any advice on what the guy said - might want to give them a heads-up and just mention what he said.

hugs
Catty1

lv4dogs
06-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Meko was doing so good the last 4-5 days then last night she ripped through yet another screen and escaped. I repaired it & she ripped through it again. I shut the window & she ripped through another one. Now I have 6 screens in my house that need to be repaired. :rolleyes:

She's a GREAT cat, except for this problem that is.

I think a cat run would be a good idea but like I said to Kay, kennels & fencing over 1.5' are not allowed on my property. So cat runs are out.

I just don't know what to do with her.

lizbud
06-06-2006, 04:57 PM
There is a screen cover thingy you can put on your storm door they
supposed to protect the screen from dogs & cats. It's a wire screen
cover that lets in the air but can't be broken through.I think Edwina's
Secretary used it to keep Eddie inside. :)

mrspunkysmom
06-06-2006, 06:25 PM
My neighbor has 2 beagles which he says are hunting dogs. In 2 years I've never seen them leave their little 6'x6' pen, not even to hunt.
They are outside 24/7. He says he brings them inside in carriers when it gets too cold out, I've never seen that either.

I feel sorry for those poor dogs.

I take it your neighbor was there before the management outlawed enclosures?

Have you asked the management to let you put up a pen? It would be cost effective, sicne you are having to replace screens. You can put some plants in it, cover part of it, put a sandbox for a litter box; it would be great. Cover it to give them some shade. The pens come with bottoms so the cats can't get out. If my area weren't so tick infested (they do come in through the floor from time to time), I would let mine out. (I really need to move.)

Perhaps your local humane society will have a solution.

I read the NY manufactured home laws. NY Manufactured Homes and Lease Laws (http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/ohm/pubs/html/mhprpl.htm) It's not much help. There is a section on unreasonable rules.

Anne

Catty1
06-06-2006, 09:19 PM
And 1.5 feet should be high enough, especially if there is a bit of length.

yeah, if that guy can have a pen - so can you!

hugs
Catty1

PS Handsome is neutered, right?

Sevaede
06-07-2006, 03:14 AM
Oh those men and their toys!!!! You KNOW what they say about a man's BIG truck compensating for their otherwise small (and I do mean small) equipment.

Sounds to me like he hates cats. What a jerk!!!! :mad: May a bazillion birds fly over his truck and let one lose all over is nice new truck and ruin the paint job. :mad:

I second that!

G535
06-07-2006, 03:24 AM
I second that!

I third that!

I do so hate it when people put inanimate possessions before living creatures.

moosmom
06-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Don't they have CAR WASHES where that idiot lives???? DUH!!

lv4dogs
06-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks a bunch for the ideas. Unfortunately most won't work for me. :(

Meko is getting out of all the screens EXCEPT the storm door. lol BUT maybe I can find similar screens that lizbud mentioned for my windows. I know I'll be looking for them thats for sure.

And yes the neighbor has always had the dog pen there, way before the new rules came into effect. Although the rules are not that new, they are years old.

I held a ruler up to her last night, with her standing fully errect 1.5' does not give her that much room at all, in fact I think she would even have to kind of have to have her head dunked. AND besides I am unable to bury any fencing either, no matter what the height. I would be afraid Meko would dig right out of the pen. And besides even if she still had a little pen wouldn't she continue to try to escape through the windows and dart out the door?

And YES, ALL of my cats are spayed &/or neutered, no worries there! :D They are all also UPT on ALL their vaccines and are tested yearly for FIV (they get the leuk vaccine).

moosmom: Yes they do have car washes and I have even offered to wash his truck & buy him car washes. He is not worrried about the dirt or paw prints, he is only worried about the scratches.

I have spoken to behaviorists and vets as well as the humane society & friends & family the last week. I have also done extensive research on this behavior on the net. Basically what I have found out is teaching her to stay off the vehicles is nearly impossible, that is without my neighbors help. In order to teach the cat to stay off you would need a scat mat or the like or watch her 24/7 AND hide and spray her with water. Pretty much she needs to think the car is punishing her and punishes her as SOON as she starts the act. This is a very hard behavior to re-direct.

BUT WHAT DO YOUS THINK OF THIS IDEA?
Soft paws? A friend mentioned it to me this monring and I think it is a great idea EXCEPT I am worried that she would have no protection. Now in the 2.5 years she has been an outside (and inside) cat she has never gotten into a fight and I have never even seen any wildlife (besides birds) nor have I seen any loose dogs or aggressive animals of any kind. But then again you never know.
Would it be worth a shot? Or no? (Even if I do try the soft paws I will continue to do my best to keep her indoors all the time).

mruffruff
06-07-2006, 02:50 PM
I don't think the Soft Paws will appease your neighbor. He really just wants the cats off the truck --- period.

I think I'd have to replace my screens with hardware cloth and keep the cats inside. Hardware cloth is actually more like fine woven fencing and cats can't tear it.

Unfortunately this is one of the costs of renting.

Have you seen the KittyWalk Deck and Patio enclosures? They are 19" high by 24" wide and 6 feet long. They can be connected together to make them longer. They are item 9B10788 on the DrsFosterSmith.com wewbsite. You might want to look at them.

Good luck!

lv4dogs
06-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Actually my neighbor did say he wouldn't miond them up there as long as they don't scratch his truck, he's said that a few times to me before.

Do you know if the air & breeze go through the hardware cloth just as easily as normal screens?

Thanks for the link, but at $80 a pop thats out of my price range. I just know that Meko would despise such a small enclosure. I'd be better off just keeping on detering her from the outside all together. I'm afraid that even with a little bit of outdoor activity it will just bring out her need to go outside even more.

mruffruff
06-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Yes, the air flows through just as well as a regular screen. Ask for it at your local hardware store. They should know what you're looking for.

lv4dogs
06-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Yes, the air flows through just as well as a regular screen. Ask for it at your local hardware store. They should know what you're looking for.

Thanks! I hope it's durable. I have tried that expensive screening that is supposed to be claw resisitant and totally pet proof, it didn't work for her. :rolleyes:

pnance
06-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Sounds like you neighbors a real pain.

MC destroys screens. He went through I think 3 screen doors when living with my mom and then when my brother took him destoyed another at his apartment, not to mention the window screens. Sure enough when I took him he went to work on mine. I didn't have the money to keep replacing screens and in my area outdoor cats are dead cats because of the coyotes. The screen doors (I have 2) I went and bought the metal pet barriers you can attach to screens, the window sills I put double sided tape on which he hates. I also put a scratching post near the back screen door (his favorite screen to destoy) so he could take out his frustration of not getting to the screens on that. In the end the post was shredded but my screens were fine. The metal screen protectors are still on but I no longer keep the double sided tape. A couple of times I've caught him stretching on the screen which I use a squirt bottle for, but for the most part he no longer just tears through them.

I wish I had some suggestions how to keep them away from the truck. I don't know how well they work but don't they have sprays that keep cats away. Maybe you could line your property line and his with that to discourage them from going that way?

mruffruff
06-07-2006, 04:43 PM
I should add that the weave on hardware cloth is bigger than ordinary screening, so it won't keep bugs out. You might want to have both. If you can, attach it to the window frame with a strip of wood over itfor stability.

I have part of an old metal crate propped between my window and screen to keep the dogs inside while the window is open. It looks like a refrigerator shelf, but it does the job. The size is important; has to be wide enough to touch both sides of the wood but narrow enough to put it in. It only covers the bottom half, but the storm window covers the top anyway.

lv4dogs
06-08-2006, 01:33 PM
I should add that the weave on hardware cloth is bigger than ordinary screening, so it won't keep bugs out. You might want to have both. If you can, attach it to the window frame with a strip of wood over itfor stability.

I have part of an old metal crate propped between my window and screen to keep the dogs inside while the window is open. It looks like a refrigerator shelf, but it does the job. The size is important; has to be wide enough to touch both sides of the wood but narrow enough to put it in. It only covers the bottom half, but the storm window covers the top anyway.

Thanks for the tip. I am going to replace the screens this weekend, and I would of just put the hardware cloth on them. Mosquitos are bad in my area so I am very lucky I read this before I replaced them with just the hardware cloth. ;)

And thats a great idea, metal crates. I have a few pieces left over from remodeling ferret cages. Hopefully some or all of them will fit my windows, that will save a bit of money!

Catty1
06-08-2006, 11:50 PM
WAIT A MINUTE...I thought of something today.

I have NEVER heard of a cat leaving scratches on a car.

Is that just me? Have you heard of this?

I am wondering if Grumpy Neighbour hasn't created a red herring.

(And even heavier [non-cat] scratches are EASY to rub out with 'rubbing compound', available in any auto supply department. Get macho idiot a bottle, and gift wrap it nice! :D )

Catty1

lv4dogs
06-09-2006, 08:49 AM
WAIT A MINUTE...I thought of something today.

I have NEVER heard of a cat leaving scratches on a car.

Is that just me? Have you heard of this?

I am wondering if Grumpy Neighbour hasn't created a red herring.

(And even heavier [non-cat] scratches are EASY to rub out with 'rubbing compound', available in any auto supply department. Get macho idiot a bottle, and gift wrap it nice! :D )

Catty1

Oh yes, I have cat scratches on my own vehicles from them. lol Granted they are not that bad what so ever. BUT I think the only time they really scratch the vehicles is when they are scared off, they kind of scurry & their claws come out & try to grab onto the smooth surface. I tried telling that to my neighbor, that scaring them causes more/worse scratches but he's still not willing to let me put a scat mat or spray with a hose or the like.

Meko is getting a *little* better about staying inside, but then again half my windows are all closed because I have to replace the screens this weekend. :rolleyes:

CagneyDog
06-11-2006, 08:13 PM
I have no suggestions but I wish you the best of luck.

Honestly, I think the comments about your neighbour being and "idiot" or not being fair are not justified. It is your responsibility to take care of your cats. And correct me if I'm wrong, but there are laws against them being outside anyways? I would be peeved if some cat came and scratched, messed up, or ruined anything of mine. You guys should all try to see things through his eyes. Would YOU like to be paying for damage repairs that came from someone elses cat!?

G535
06-11-2006, 09:18 PM
I thought that the main reaction was against the neighbor for threatening to kill the cat(s) that he found on his truck, surely that is the type of reaction only a person of low intelligence would have?

Catty1
06-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Cagney - I know what you mean...but in earlier posts on this thread, lv4dogs said (I haven't double checked but I am pretty sure) that the neighbour had NO problems with the cats, and even liked them, til he brought his new truck home.

So lv4dogs has to suddenly change course; cats that were ok to be outside and visit this guy now can't; so it is a major thing.

Cats do dig up others' gardens; they can certainly wreck things. The arrival of this new truck has caused upheaval...it'll get tiny scratches soon enough from grit and etc while being driven.

Anyway, she is trying hard to suddenly make her cats indoor cats. I guess I feel kind of on her side...since the neighbour DID like the cats - now buys a shiny new inanimate object, and is threatening the same cats.

I wonder if he would even notice a cat scratch on it?

I used to have outdoor cats...but now any cat I have is indoors from day 1.

Cheers
Catty1

orangemm
06-12-2006, 05:36 AM
I, too, am a cat lover and devoted owner (or ownee, whatever the case may be), AND I have a car that I LOVE. It is my first NEW car ever, after driving clunkers and junkers all my life. I take very good care of it and it has no dings, dents, scratches, etc. on it even after almost 4 years.

My neighbor sometimes lets his cats out and they will perch on my car. I don't particularly like it, so when we see them, we'll get the hose out and squirt them.

However, this weekend we were out working in the yard and I thought I saw a leaf on the convertible top and went to get it off. It wasn't a leaf. SOMEone hacked up a hairball in two places and we had to use a scrubber and soap to get it off. Not pretty. :eek:

Don't worry, we told the owner what happened! Hate to think what would happen if that guy came across something like that. :(

Pam
06-12-2006, 06:04 AM
This looks like an old thread that was brought back to life and I am wondering how things turned out. I had a neighbor who had an indoor/outdoor cat and had some of the same problems with another neighbor just as you have had. The cat was scratching his car and he showed her the scratch marks. She turned her kitty into an inside cat because of threats from this man. :(

In all honesty, my hubby would go into orbit if a cat (even our own) scratched his car. He would never harm the kittie but I can tell you he would be very vocal about his displeasure. Fortunately that won't happen here as mine never go outside. My suggestion to you would be to buy window fans. They are relatively inexpensive and can be put in and taken out easily. They protect your screens and provide lots of air so you won't need to close your windows and run the a/c which can be very expensive. I often put one in my bedroom window on nights when we turn the a/c off and it makes for a comfortable night. Good luck!

lv4dogs
06-12-2006, 12:31 PM
I have no suggestions but I wish you the best of luck.

Honestly, I think the comments about your neighbour being and "idiot" or not being fair are not justified. It is your responsibility to take care of your cats. And correct me if I'm wrong, but there are laws against them being outside anyways? I would be peeved if some cat came and scratched, messed up, or ruined anything of mine. You guys should all try to see things through his eyes. Would YOU like to be paying for damage repairs that came from someone elses cat!?

Oh I know that, I even stated that it is not his responsibility to help me care for my cats & that he has every right as it is HIS property.

It is just the fact that he used to LOVE my cats, he used to even feed them & pet them. But as soon as he got the truck he wasn't even willing to try to help me in any way what so ever, he just automatically stated to HATE my cats.

I am trying my darnest to keep her inside & it gets better with time. But because she is so used to going outside & also being at his house that she does everything she can to get outside, tears through screens, darts out under your feet, etc... No matter how hard I try every few days she manages to get back outside.

Not that I agree or disagree with the law, but there is NO law stating you have to keep your cats leashed or indoors in my area, in fact a LOT of NY state is the same way.