PDA

View Full Version : One floppy ear?

beeniesmom
09-09-2005, 10:20 AM
Hi, I have a question....
maybe you can help...
maybe you cannot...
maybe I'm just getting worried for nothing.

As you've seen by the pics, Frankies ears both were up several weeks ago.

Well, it's been a few days that one ear is flopping down again.

Could it be that he is lazy.... ?
Maybe one ear is getting bigger than the other?
Or.... my fear, that Beenie broke it during a wrestling session?

:(

I'm afraid to call the vet about it.

gemini9961
09-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Carmen, I don't think it's anything to worry about. Does it seem to bother him? If it looks like it's bothering him then maybe a call to the vet would be appropriate.

beeniesmom
09-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by gemini9961
Carmen, I don't think it's anything to worry about. Does it seem to bother him? If it looks like it's bothering him then maybe a call to the vet would be appropriate.

No, it doesn't bother him at all. I even touched it and made sure it wasn't bruised or anything and he didn't seem to care I was handling his ear. I guess if it hurt, he'd winch or sqeek. I just hope Beenie didn't break it. He kinda looks cute with it. I promise I;ll post pics soon. I haven't been able to take many in the past few days. I will post some this weekend.

Glacier
09-09-2005, 10:35 AM
He's just a puppy right? If he is then I wouldn't worry about it. When Earle was a puppy his ears were all over the place--up, down, half and half! It changed frequently. As he matured, his ears stayed up like a husky's are supposed to.

If he's an adult than his ear probably hurts. Bandit has one floppy ear right now. He has a cut inside his ear that likely hurts a bit so he's letting it flop while it heals.

beeniesmom
09-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Glacier
He's just a puppy right? If he is then I wouldn't worry about it. When Earle was a puppy his ears were all over the place--up, down, half and half! It changed frequently. As he matured, his ears stayed up like a husky's are supposed to.

If he's an adult than his ear probably hurts. Bandit has one floppy ear right now. He has a cut inside his ear that likely hurts a bit so he's letting it flop while it heals.

He turned 4 months old 2 days ago.
Thank you for answering. I feel better now.
I rememeber when Beenie was a pup hers would go backwards too. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
09-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by beeniesmom

I rememeber when Beenie was a pup hers would go backwards too. :)

Tobey's ears are very rarely in the same direction!

new mom to a veiled
09-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Up, down, frontwards, or backward.......it doesn't matter. Frankie you are still a handsome little bugger!!!!!

lv4dogs
09-09-2005, 12:29 PM
Kaige's ears are all over the place too. Although they never stand up fully & hopefully never will, they are sometimes all the way down, sometimes half & half, sometimes one & not the other. lol
He's probably going through a funny puppy growth spurt. lol

To ease your mind, a dogs ear can not break, there are no bones in it. However the muscles &/or cartilidge can become soft or damaged etc.. and cause it not to stand correctly.

beeniesmom
09-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
To ease your mind, a dogs ear can not break, there are no bones in it. However the muscles &/or cartilidge can become soft or damaged etc.. and cause it not to stand correctly.

Ooops, I used the wrong term then. My poodle in Italy damaged one of my other dogs ear (Ciccia - pronounced chischa) when it was a puppy. She still has one flop ear!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/beeniesmom/ciccia/ciccia.jpg

lv4dogs
09-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Thats alright. :) In a way the ear is kind of broke. ;)

Kia here on PT, got an ear hematomma (sp?) and her ear has been floopy ever since.

ramanth
09-19-2005, 10:01 AM
Yep... Kia had two upright ears, till she burst a blood vessel in one (a hematoma) to cause it to flop over.

Before:
http://kia.cutestsandgirl.com/images/kiamisc/kiadotdpic.jpg

After:
http://kia.cutestsandgirl.com/images/kiamisc/winter2004/IMG_3411.jpg

beeniesmom
09-19-2005, 10:10 AM
She is still beautiful.
Frankie has been lifting it almost completely in the morning and it slowly goes down by the end of the day.... then they both are floppy.
I really think he's being lazy with it.
:)