PDA

View Full Version : Well last night was interesting...

Crikit
03-10-2002, 09:07 PM
So last night my agility group (the name of the group is Paws N Effect) had a practice in a barn south of the city out near Spruce Meadows (I know that info isn't really relavent but I had to add it :D ) We had to have it in the barn because it was waaaaaayyyyy to cold to be outside and I don't think the dogs would like to run in the snow...okay the dogs might, but the handlers wouldn't ;)

Anyway all it really consisted of was the dogs running a couple of courses that the "coach" designed and the handlers standing around talking and just having fun...plus we got to see how well the bridge that my dad made works.

The interesting and probably most fun part of the night was after the practice when half the group had gone home and the only people that were left were the people who were going to moxies (it's a chain of restaurants in Canada) Well we put all the equipment away and then for the heck of it released all the dogs so they could run around the arena and have a good ole time in the dirt with one another.

All I can say is it was some of the funniest things I ever saw. We had three border collies (Winter as well as two males named Arnold and Tork) trying to herd ten other dogs around the arena, that was until we took out a couple of balls a small one for the papillions, lakelands, and minature schnauzer(sp?) and a big one for the borders, Smudge and NSDTR's it was like an all out race and the only one that was playing fair was Winter.

She would get the ball and then bring it back and drop it at someones feet like we've always taught her to do, then one of the other dogs usually Arnold or Score (one of the papillions) and occasionally Rookie or Tegra (the NSDTR's) would scoop it up and refuse to drop it until some squeaked a toy to distract them.

The whole time that this was happening Smudge was running with the other dogs and kind of wondering what the heck he should be doing at the moment, he was kind of sad in a cute sort of way :D he finally decided to follow Winters lead and started chasing the ball and trying to get her to play with him which she didn't want to do...not when there's dogs to herd around.

Oh yes I forgot to mention that when the broders were hearding one of the smaller dogs named Gizmo who I think is a pom cross got feed up and tried to herd one of them around I think it was Arnold or maybe Tork she was trying to get at...very funny.

We were all just amazed though that not once when the dogs were playing did a fight break out...okay well peaches and prickles got in to a slight altercation which I think included annie but they all live together so it was alright.

I was going to take pics of the gang but I sort of forgot my camera so it will have to wait until next practice. That's about it, just thought I would share the fun with everyone.

Karen
03-10-2002, 09:16 PM
Border collie heaven - other dogs to herd, and an enclosed space to do it in! Must have been hysterical! :)

aly
03-10-2002, 09:29 PM
You definately HAVE to get some pictures of that!!! It sounds like so much fun. What I would give to have seen all that :D

Thanks for sharing it with us :)

delidog
03-11-2002, 04:37 AM
hey cricket...sounds like border collie heaven....i love your area of canada....i used to show at spruce meadows....with pierre joliceur,michelle vaillancourt,robert ridland,gail greenough,ian millar.....i have always loved working with the canadian team....how are ron and marge southern doing??? are they still active in spruce meadows???? or does linda run it now???? its' a great facility....is cattlemans' still open???

Crikit
03-11-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by delidog
hey cricket...sounds like border collie heaven....i love your area of canada....i used to show at spruce meadows....with pierre joliceur,michelle vaillancourt,robert ridland,gail greenough,ian millar.....i have always loved working with the canadian team....how are ron and marge southern doing??? are they still active in spruce meadows???? or does linda run it now???? its' a great facility....is cattlemans' still open???

I actually haven't been to Spruce Meadows since Ian Miller stoped riding Big Ben, it just doesn't seem right to me any more so I'm not sure whose running it, it's just with that area south of Calgary it's easier to say near Spruce Meadows, we were at a barn that was literally in it's back yard a couple of months ago though...Cattleman's? Could you mean Ranchman's if you mean Ranchman's then yeah that place is still open my sisters go there all the time.