PDA

View Full Version : Trixie 1991-2005

honor_fl
09-08-2005, 11:05 AM
My beautiful calico, Trixie, was put down yesterday at the vet’s office. She was 14 years old.

Trixie wasn’t the brightest bulb in the bin, but she was the sweetest, most loving cat I’ve ever owned. She never met a person she didn’t like, which I found most unusual. She loved belly rubs, and being brushed, and sleeping on my head. She adored children and would go belly up for them if they just looked at her. She and Ralph, a tortie, maintained a good relationship from the minute I brought them home together as kittens from the shelter. Many tongue baths were shared between them.

The last couple of years have been a challenge for the cats, since we added dogs to our house, but Trixie, as usual, made friends with the poodle and I found them sleeping together more than once. (We don’t let the cats mix with the other 2 dogs as they have strong prey drives).

Ralph is kind of lost right now, searching the house for her friend. I don’t know if Trixie was ever smart enough to realize it when Ralph was out of the house, but Ralph is a smart one and knows something is wrong. I hope she’ll eventually adjust.

Trixie suffered from kidney problems her whole life, and in the end that’s what got her. She was wasting away, even though she was eating, and I was having trouble watching it, even though the vet assured me she wasn’t in pain. We had her on subcutaneous fluids for about the last 6 weeks. Yesterday morning, she squatted on the carpet in front of me and peed, and then almost fell over. (She has never had an accident before in her life). I knew it was time. I don’t think she weighed more than 4 pounds when I brought her in.

I don’t feel bad about the decision to put her down, but its so hard to actually take the action. I watched her slip away peacefully, and I hope that she wasn’t scared or in pain at all.

She joins my other cats Radha, Cleo and Rags in that place in my heart reserved for those gone but never forgotten.

Shady
09-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Trixie sounded like a trooper, she fought the good fight all of her life, you did the right thing. I know how hard it is, it removes a part of your soul.

My sympathies for your loss, Trixie is now well and playing at the bridge.

Godspeed Trixie, RIP.

Cataholic
09-08-2005, 11:47 AM
RIP, Sweet Trixie. You sounded like my kind of cat- loving and non assuming. May the RB be all that you deserve.

lvpets2002
09-08-2005, 11:50 AM
:( So sad to hear of Trixie gone to the angels.. May you rest in peace now & Now can play at the RB..

Flatcoatluver
09-08-2005, 05:51 PM
rip trixie, hes in a great place, now

catmandu
09-08-2005, 07:20 PM
THIS,HAS BEEN A VERY SDA WEEK,ONPET TALK,LOSING ALL THOSE WONDERFUL CATS.
TRIXIE SOUNDED,LIKE A VERY PRATICAL CAT,ABLE,TO ADAPT HERSELF,TO JUST ABOUT ANYTHING,AND WE KNOW,THAT SHE WILL MAKE A STELLAR PET TALKER ANGEL,AND SHE HAS ALREADY JOINED THEM,IN THE ALGAVE REGION,OF PORTUGAL.
SHE MISSES YOU,SO MUCH,BUT WILL HAVE SOME WONDERFUL PLACES,FOR YOU TWO,TO VISIT TOGETHER,WHEN YOU ARE TOGETHER AGAIN,ONE FINE DAY.

sasha the cat
09-08-2005, 11:53 PM
We are sorry to learn of Trixie's passing. Losing a beloved pet is very painful but you were lucky to have this sweet calico for 14 years.

We do understand what you feel because it is now 11 days since the passing of our darling Sasha. We find it soooo difficult and know you are feeling what we feel.

gini
09-09-2005, 12:14 AM
I too, want to tell you how very sorry I am to hear of your sad loss of Trixie. Several years ago I lost my sweet Patches in just the way you describe her kidney disease. It is so heart breaking to see them waste away.

I hope the day comes when your heart will be lighter and you have only all of the fond memories of her with you.

honor_fl
09-09-2005, 07:43 AM
I want to thank you all for your very kind thoughts. I miss her more than I imagined I would.

furrykidsmother
09-14-2005, 01:10 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss of Trixie. Remember the beautiful 14 years you had together. RIP sweet Trixie!

kb2yjx
09-14-2005, 02:29 PM
May the wonderful memories of Trixie help you during this sad time to recall what a great cat she was. Trixie will be always with you!!! Sleep softly, dear Trixie....
Sandra