PDA

View Full Version : kitten problem

dab_20
09-07-2005, 09:07 PM
i have a 6 month old barn kitten named oreo. we are moving her inside because she is the sweetest kitty in the world, and we have absolutly fallen in love with her. she loves being inside, too. Anyways, when she wants to be held or wants to play, she climbs up your leg like its a tree. OUCH! we can't declaw her because she will still be able to go outside with us daily. how can we stop her from doing this?

AlleyCat
09-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Most of my cats are not declawed either. It is often a kitten thing and they grow out of it. You can further that along by picking her off your leg and setting her down, I find I don't even have to say anything -- enough times of putting her down, she will get the gist of it.

dab_20
09-07-2005, 09:39 PM
ok thanks, i will do that.

dab_20
09-07-2005, 09:40 PM
if anyone has any other suggestions, i'd be glad to hear them!

rkidsrcats
09-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Learn how to clip her claws (your vet can show you) and start routinely keeping them clipped. We have adult 5 cats and all but one get claws clipped regularly without much fuss, because we started when they were young.
Clipped kitty claws makes a huge difference when you have a cat that likes to climb and hug on you!

rg_girlca
09-07-2005, 09:54 PM
What I do and have had success with it, is grab my kitty, not too hard and firmly say "NO", then place him on the floor away from me. If I am lucky enough to catch my kitty before he makes the leap, I stomp my foot and say "NO."

Good luck.

catmandu
09-08-2005, 07:32 AM
PUT A FEW DROPS,OF WATER,ON OREOS HEAD,AND HE WILL ASSOCIATE,CLIMBING YOUR LEG,WITH DROPS,OF WATER,FALLING,AND WILL STOP.
THE CLIPPING,OF HIS CLAWS,IS AN EXCELLENT IDEA,AND ITS BETTER,IF YOU GET HIM USED,TO IT,WITH TREATS AS A BRIBE,WHILE HES YOUNG.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos1053.jpg

dragonchilde
09-08-2005, 12:18 PM
As the others said, keep those little kitty claws trimmed. You'll have to do it a LOT, since baby claws grow so fast, but it'll be worth it, because they'll get used to having their nails trimmed, and you won't hurt so much. :)

Our Mozart used to be BAD about it, and he's now a 10 lbs fatty who just lays around all the time. :) Noodles would climb all the way up to my hip! Keep those claws trimmed discouraged it, because he couldn't get a good grip, and fell down a lot, so he quit bothering.

Good luck!

lvpets2002
09-08-2005, 12:39 PM
:) Oh its not a problem & your baby will grow out of it.. I went thru this with all of mine.. However be sure to get your little one some toys & a climbing post.. This will help with all the energy they have..

dab_20
09-08-2005, 04:20 PM
ok thanks everyone. i will try that. and we went to walmart yesterday to get a litter box, litter, toys, and a small scratching post. we are moving her inside tomorrow. wish us luck! thanks:)

LaRana
09-08-2005, 04:31 PM
My cat used to climb up my jeans until I put the softpaws on him one day. He went to jump up and climb my pants and then the claws just didn't work and he slid down and I just laughed at him and I was waiting for one of those "WOOOOooooooom" sounds like in the cartoons.

I don't use softpaws on him anymore, but I do keep his nails trimmed regularly now that he's grown up. The softpaws seemed to teach him that "that's not a good idea since it dun work anymore" and we kept them on for a couple months (replacing the ones that fell off).

dab_20
09-08-2005, 04:49 PM
what are soft paws?

lvpets2002
09-08-2005, 05:05 PM
:) Hello Dab_20

Soft Paws are little rubber like tips to go on your cat's toe nails {as tips} so they cant scratch furniture & ect.. Good Luck with your baby

Lightning SuperCat
09-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Lightning still does this, and we just keep his nails trimmed and I don't feel any nails. But I also sqirt him with a little water squirter if he is too rambunctious. He isn't so forceful when he jumps on my legs now. Good Luck!

dab_20
09-08-2005, 05:42 PM
thanks!

Cataholic
09-09-2005, 08:54 AM
All my cats grew out of this....I think the weight of the kitty as he grows begins to be too stressful for the nails to support? OR, LOL, maybe they just get too fat and lazy. Either way, it stopped. Good luck.

dab_20
09-09-2005, 05:02 PM
lol thanks