PDA

View Full Version : Smokey update

mugsy
03-10-2002, 03:57 PM
Hi all, Smokey has made a miraculous recovery and adjustment. One would think that if the dog was a fighter, or even a bait dog, that he would be aggressive to all dogs, but not Smoke!! He has adjusted so well, that last night I let him stay out of his crate and he slept on the floor next to the bed and never bothered anyone and he's been outside with all the other dogs and he actually plays with them. He and Sophie were having a great time the other day playing tag. When he went to the vet on Thursday, he weighed in at 44.4 pounds and probably should weigh between 60 and 65 pounds, but still looks to have gained between 5 and 10 pounds since I picked him up, which means he weighed about half of what he should weigh when I got him off the people's porch. Dr. B said that he looked very good considering his situation and his coat is a glossy black now since he's gotten good food and also, he said that the hair on his neck that is gone from the wound should grow back slowly, but since Thursday about 1/3 of it is already back. He is a joy to have around, he follows me everywhere and LOVES to go bye bye.

kobieeli
03-10-2002, 04:48 PM
So good to hear that Smokey is improving! :D You and Mike did a wonderful thing in helping him. I just know he's grateful for your warm home and your love.

LoudLou
03-10-2002, 04:57 PM
Yippee for Smokey!!! Well done, Mugsy & Mike! You must be proud. Hope Smokey gets to stay with you two.

tatsxxx11
03-10-2002, 04:58 PM
It is so heartwarming to know that dear Smokey is thriving and adjusting so well. Then again, with such love, devotion and care, how could it be otherwise???:) Thank you Mugsy and Mike for yet again, proving that love DOES conquer all! Hugs and kisses to your precious Smokster Pup!!

lizbud
03-10-2002, 05:06 PM
Mugsy,

That's Great news about Smokie !!! I'm sure glad
you answered that womens call when you thought
it might be Tobey. Smokie could have died, alone and
unloved somewhere, if not for your love & kindness.
Give Smokie and all your other pupsters a hug & kiss
from me. Liz.

Logan
03-10-2002, 05:09 PM
That's a grateful boy if I've ever heard of one! :D He knows a good thing when he gets it, and it certainly sounds like he deserves it. :)

Thanks to Mike and you for always finding room for one more. :)

Sudilar
03-10-2002, 06:36 PM
WONDERFUL NEWS FROM WONDERFUL PEOPLE!!

So glad you have taken Smokey into your hearts.

sammi
03-10-2002, 07:45 PM
That is great news!!! I would like to know how you get all these furkids to adjust to each other. You & Mike must have a special bond with them.
The last time my dog had a play date that spent the night (this little guy was a pup and neeeded some manners- I shouldn't say that as he spent so much time alone at his house when he came here and all this attention and a playmate he went wild). It was 2am in the morning and they were running around chasing each other! I was about nuts - I was stomping my feet and yelling for them to settle down right now!:eek: This little guy Coco stops and looks at me like does she mean it LOL and keeps it up. Around 3:am they both crawled under the bed and crashed! Boy I was happy to finally get some sleep.:rolleyes:

Crikit
03-10-2002, 08:40 PM
glad to know that Smokey is doing good, I was actually wondering about him a day or two ago.

mugsy
03-11-2002, 08:26 PM
Sheesh!! It's about time...I couldn't post all day because I changed my email and it was really screwy. Well, anyway, thanks all for your interest in our dear little Smokey. He's doing great....he even pushed me out of bed last night because he wanted more room....needless to say I was NOT amused at 3AM!! lol I'm beginning to wonder if he hadn't been stolen by this slime and used as a bait dog because he has adjusted to our dogs really well and seems to be quite at home in the house and sleeping in bed, which I would not have expected had he been with them forever.

Gio
03-12-2002, 06:47 AM
I'm so happy that dear Smokey is feeling better. He sound like a really lovable "little" thing. By what you say it really looks like he was stolen by the guy you rescued him from. :( Poor angel, it makes me so sad (and terribly angry) when I think what he must have goen through. Please hug him for me.

mugsy
03-12-2002, 09:09 PM
Gio, it just seems like he has known happiness somewhere in his short life. He just adjusted so easily to our group and the life of luxury. I agree with you that scum like these don't deserve to breathe my air (and to be perfectly honest, I resent the fact that they DO breathe my air).

Stenograsaurus
03-13-2002, 11:36 AM
HOOORAY FOR SMOKEY!!!! I am so glad that the Angels (Mugsy and Mike) were went to rescuse poor Smokey. May the rest of your days be filled with love, Smokey. I have no doubt that they will be. :D

mugsy
03-17-2002, 02:38 PM
Smokey goes in for his second set of shots on the 4th of April and gets neutered at the same time. He is adjusting so well...he even chases the other dogs in the yard. He went after Dudley the first week we had him and now they lay next to each other and are fine. Today I heard a crash out in the kitchen and went out to find Butterscotch, Smokey, and Billy happily eating the mashed potatoes I had just made (I was just a little IRRITATED! lol) and Smokey was just fine sharing. His hair on his neck is starting to grow back, but he's losing some around some of the scars and he has a round patch on his head that has lost hair, but it appears to be an old wound too. And liz, he WOULD have died, because the woman was on the phone with animal control when I got there and in Fort Wayne, if it's a pit or pit mix they are put down after the mandatory 3 day waiting period, they don't even check for temperment. They aren't my most favorite people sometimes. Well, that's the latest. Thanks again for all your interest and your prayers for our special little guy.

tatsxxx11
03-17-2002, 05:41 PM
Smokey's a "counter cruiser!!" I guess it's official Mugsy! What a special fellow! He sounds so sweet. Hugs and kisses for Smokey and the crew!:)

mugsy
03-27-2002, 10:01 AM
We had a slight glitch in the system on Saturday, we had two simultaneous fights (when I was out there alone with them) between Serenity (who required 4 stitches in her ear) and Tigger (who had a small bite on the side of his head) and when Mom tried to break them up, they both nailed me!!! My hand still hurts (Mike thinks I broke a bone) and the other was between Vonney (who has so much hair he had no damage) and Smokey (who also came out smelling like a rose). They scared the snot out of me, but all seems to be ok now. Smokey is feeling a little left out since we got our little foster guy. He is still wonderful and such a lover!!

Gio
03-28-2002, 08:38 AM
That's how it usually happend, everything at the same time. Poor Serenity, poor Tigger and poor you! I hope your hand is better. I'm pleased that Vonney and Smokey did not hurt each other and I hope that things have settled in your household.

mugsy
03-28-2002, 10:36 AM
Thanks Gio...yes, things have settled down and my hand is almost back to normal and the puncture is healing nicely...I can actually see my knuckles again! hehehe