PDA

View Full Version : As if things weren't bad enough in the disaster zone

Killearn Kitties
09-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Now they are getting British Army ration packs! I don't think soup, followed by curried lamb with rice, then fruit dumplings in custard is a menu I would have chosen myself. I hope they have included some indigestion tablets in those condiment bags. ;)

Here's a review of the packs.

Food Review (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4221838.stm)

I can't say that I have ever tasted military rations. Does anyone know what they are like?

kittycats_delight
09-07-2005, 08:39 AM
I haven't either but I think no matter what the help is it is all good. I am sure these ration packs won't go astray and people will be more than glad to have them and what they contain.

1 French onion soup
2 Hot chocolate
3 Savoury biscuits
4 Milk chocolate
5 Tissues
6 Cooked rice
7 Boiled sweets
8 Fruit biscuits
9 Chewing gum
10 Chicken pate
11 Orange drink powder
12 Curried lamb
13 Fruit dumplings in custard
14 Bacon and beans
15 Condiments
16 Hot pepper sauce

Ok some of it sounds pretty nasty but I think it will be greatly appreciated in this time of serious need.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Better than nothing I suppose - marginally!

Karen
09-07-2005, 11:04 AM
MREs aren't as bad as they used to be, but ANYTHING is better than starvation.

Killearn Kitties
09-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Oh I couldn't agree more! I found the article interesting because I have never seen one, I suppose, and I was really keen to know if anyone had tasted them. My husband remembers his Dad bringing home chocolate from his RAF pack, but being a kid at the time, the chocolate is all he remembers.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Terry remembers one such Thanksgiving turkey dinner in Vietnam. Said it was the best turkey dinner he ever had. :)

So I'm thinking what that means is the quality of the food isn't of utmost importance at the time.

Fruit dumplings in custard sounds kind of yummy. French onion soup sounds yummy, but I think you can keep the curried lamb. ;)

DJFyrewolf36
09-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Military rations aren't really too bad, at least not the good ol U.S. ones I've had. They have some darn tasty selections! One morning though, my breakfast was Chili mac...which was pretty good but not what I really wanted at 6 am! :D The only thing I really hated was the ham slice, as it seemed to be made of the icky gelly stuff on the top of SPAM lol. Everyone tried to trade it away if they drew it from the ration list.

RICHARD
09-07-2005, 12:23 PM
lololololol,

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

There are people here in Cah Lee Fuh Nee Ah that will pay money to eat stuff like that!!!

----------------------------

We picked up some date nut loaf from a surplus store one time...

As a gag...the can was a already a few years old and I couldn't wait to open it and get a taste.

It was dense and sweet and kinda like an undercooked starchy
cinder block.

I wouldn't turn it down......if you gathered enough you could get out of the elements with it

Of course, the novelty of living in a date nut house would wear off after a while....

:eek: :rolleyes: ;)

lv4dogs
09-07-2005, 03:09 PM
This may sound gross, but I guess they never expire (or at least the old types didn't back then).
Years ago I was in New Mexico, traveling with my ex, when our car broke down. We ran out of money & were stranded. We found a friend who allowed to stay in his camper for the time being.
He had quite a few military foods, they were kind of old, all in tin, like sardine cans.
I ate turkey w/ stuffing, macaroni & Cheese and a meat loaf one, all were actually pretty good, the macaroni & cheese I must say was awesome.

My brother hikes & camps a lot, (hiked the appiliachian trail & the such) and has eaten a lot of similar foods. Not sure if they are the same as the military ones or not, but they are all in bags & look just like those.
He says that they are good. There are a few that he doesn't really care for but he's not too fond of those certain food in "real" form either so he really can't say anythign about those. He says they are better than you think, and better than carrying around a lot of weight & are nutritious.

Lady's Human
09-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Having lived on MRE's and T-rats for extended periods of time, I'll take the brit ration packs anyday. (though the brit troops used to tell us the same thing about their meals, I guess change in the diet is all we're looking for after 30 days in the field)

Killearn Kitties
09-08-2005, 08:08 AM
:D I'll bet you're desperate for a different taste after weeks of the same.

You all make these rations sound quite appealing. I'd be keen to try them out now!

moosmom
09-08-2005, 08:20 AM
MREs aren't as bad as they used to be, but ANYTHING is better than starvation.

Karen said it best!!! If I were in such devastation, I certainly wouldn't turn it down. I'd also share it with my cats.

RICHARD
09-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Karen said it best!!! If I were in such devastation, I certainly wouldn't turn it down. I'd also share it with my cats.

I posted the story about the woman who refused to eat the cold MREs that were given to her at the shelter.

A few more days of living off her 'body stores' she'd eat cardboard and dirty water.:rolleyes: