PDA

View Full Version : Grrr... family members!

catnapper
09-06-2005, 09:37 PM
My brother called me tonight for his yearly brotherly duty of wishing me a happy birthday. We only talk to each other twice a year - once on his birthday, once on mine. Of course mom keeps us updated on each other (whether we care to be updated or not).

Anyhoooo.... he called tonight and asked what I did for my birthday and I excitedly told him about Nessa and Elfie's adoption. He said "wow, thats good. You need to get rid of those cats. What are you up to now? Mom said something about 8?" Silly me corrected him and admitted to the 9 I have. Then he launched into a lecture of how thats "7 cats too many" and how thats too much work for me.... "what do you do, change litter 3 times a day" No, I corrected him and said "I SCOOP three times a day. I take the trash out at night anyway." Then I asked him, "Besides, how many times a day do you have to walk the dogs? At least three, right? and you carry pooper scoopers and such with you, right? So how is THAT any different than me scooping three times a day?"

UGH! Why does he spoil my high? I was feelign so awesome tongiht and with one five minute phonecall I'm irritated and annoyed. :(

What is it with supposedly "well meaning" family members who stick their opinions where they don't belong? Do I question how he can be a "strict vegan" and still eat cheese pizza, but refuse to drink milk? Do I question why he chose to buy 2 HUGE SUVs in these gas conscious times? Do I question his choice to work night shift? NO! So what makes him think he's free to question MY choices?

catmandu
09-06-2005, 09:41 PM
I GET,THE SAME NONSENSE,BUT I JUST TOLD THEM,THAT I LOVE,THE CATS MORE THAN I DO THEM,AND IF ANYONE,WAS GOING,TO BE LEFT OUT IN THE COLD,IT WOULD CERTAINLY NOT BE MY CATS.
NOW,I GET NO MORE INTERFERENCE,FROM WHAT,IS LEFT,OF MY FAMILY.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos934.jpg

UP AGAINST,THE WALL,CAT HATERS!!

HAHA!! WE LOVE OUR DAD,AND WE ARE GRATEFUL,THAT HE HAS NO LIMITS,AND ROOM,IN HIS HEART,FOR US ALL.

caseysmom
09-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Gently remind your brother that its your life and he can "KISS OFF"....just kidding....I hate that kind of stuff too but some people just don't get it do they?

G535
09-07-2005, 03:36 AM
That old saying about how you can pick your friends but are stuck with your relatives is so true. I just agree with everything they say and as soon as they have gone go on with life as usual.

jenluckenbach
09-07-2005, 04:48 AM
I am sorry, but I understand. I don't even talk to my dad or siblings about my cats (or my life in general). All I would get is judgement or boredom.
Next year when he calls tell him you are too busy enjoying your birthday to allow him to bad mouth you and hang up. :p

Barbara
09-07-2005, 05:06 AM
Understand it as well. With my sister communication has to stick to a very thin surface.

Just keep your yearly routine up- two times a year is something you will just manage;)

Killearn Kitties
09-07-2005, 06:45 AM
You are obviously far too polite, Kim. Perhaps something along these lines would work better?

"Oh thanks so much ... a poisonous lecture for my birthday ... it's just what I've always wanted! Really you shouldn't have ... it's too much!
Speak to you next year. Bye!"

catnapper
09-07-2005, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Killearn Kitties
"Oh thanks so much ... a poisonous lecture for my birthday ... it's just what I've always wanted! Really you shouldn't have ... it's too much!
Speak to you next year. Bye!"
ROTFLMBO! Karen! I wish you were here with me! Man, what a great line!

I've had to realize over the years that my brother and I are two completely different people. He'll say black and I'll say white, and neither of the two of us will ever agree on grey. If we did, then we'd be arguing over grEy or grAy. :rolleyes:

I'm in a better mood now, thanks to my son who's in college - he called me to wish me a happy birthday. I wasn't even worried that he'd call because I know he's overwhelmed with classes and his cross country duties. But he called. Good boy! :)

orangemm
09-07-2005, 07:22 AM
You'll get more love & devotion from your babies than you will from some family members, so just go with the flow.

If anyone ever criticizes my love or caring for my guys all I'll say is "they were here and YOU weren't". End of conversation.

Corinna
09-07-2005, 07:55 AM
I have differnt look at it SOrry but at least he calls you (badly yes but a call none the less) My Brother lives 3 hours from me and I never hear from him . Mom tells me when she does (which isn't unless one of his darling kids did something dumb) (not unlike him as a kid) No cards or anythinng noi even at christmas. I send e-mails which never are answered gifts to kids no thank yous . So I give up but my daughter needed the five acres mowed when hubby was gone guess who came did it and left town and I didn't even get a phone call.
Bad call or not at least yours cares enough to say something to you.

tricollie4me
09-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Catnapper, sorry to hear you're frustrated with your brother. I do wonder why some folks (friends and family alike) want so desperately to judge our choices -- as if our life decisions actually impact them in some way!

In my case, hubby and I have five kids. We adore being parents. We also have a dog and three cats. We adore our furbabies! We keep a happy, well-organized home and are completely independent, but for some reason, others want to tell us how many kids we should have had, or on the matter of our recently adopting our sibling pair of orange & whites, folks offered comments like "gee, don't you know what two more kittens will do to your house? Are you ready for that?" Sigh. You know, my husband and I really did want a bunch of kids. And we really did want to adopt our collie pup from a local rescue. And we really do know what three cats will "do" to our house...add fun, love, companionship and a laugh or two after a long day to our already blessed family! I just don't get why someone would feel righteous enough to decide for me or anyone else what makes a "good" number of kids or pets or whatever! I would never presume to know what makes someone else tick -- a new baby? Great! Another dog? Awesome! A pretty pair of orange & whites (tee hee)? Perfect! There's a reason for the phrase, "to each his own."

And by the way, pottying the pup and scooping four litter boxes is nothing compared to still having two youngsters in diapers, lol!;)

Cataholic
09-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by tricollie4me

And by the way, pottying the pup and scooping four litter boxes is nothing compared to still having two youngsters in diapers, lol!;)

LOL, how true that is! With 7 cats and one child in diapers...I can tell you it is FAR easier to scoop than change a diaper! LOLOL

Catnapper, as to your brother/issue- I would just tell him,'okay, I get your point, anything else to talk about?"

Catsnclay
09-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Oh Kim, I feel sorry for you. I too was once in your positon, but learned very *quickly* how to handle the situation.

You need to be gracious and kind, but do NOT offer any insite to your life. I know that sounds cruel, but your family sounds oh so much like mine. They ask questions to be "friendly" then turn on you and stab you in the back with the knowledge that they have. So don't give them anything to get back at you with.

When your brother calls the next time to wish you a happy Birthday, acknowlege it - sweetly - then YOU start asking questions (how's your life, family, etc) Then say (once again , sweetly) "Well thanks for calling, but I must go now." Done, end of the dutiful phone call.

If you want to PM me we can exchange horror stories!! :rolleyes:

BTW- HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

lvpets2002
09-08-2005, 03:53 PM
:( I am sorry he saddened your Birthday.. The next conversation you have with him ask him if he wants salt or pepper with that roll of duck tape for his mouth.. Then if he starts on you again then say you live your life & I will live mine the way I want too & or hit the receiver on the wall & say must have a bad connection..

:D By the way Happy Birthday:)

CalliesMom
09-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Yes, Happy Belated Birthday. My family makes fun of me too for being the "crazy cat lady." Whatever..just because my cats are fed properly and I give a crap about them doesn't mean that I'm strange. People in my family view their pets as possessions and not family members..their loss...not mine. :rolleyes:

catnapper
09-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Grrr... he just is clueless! I was a block away from his work last night, so TRYING to be a good big sister I called him and asked if I could stop by to see him and possibly stop by the company store (he works for Lenox and the company store sells $50 figurines for like $10 or lower), and if he'd meet me there. So I showed up after my appointment and he walked into the store, said "hi, just go to that register, she knows me and will give you my company discount" then walked back out of the store and returned to work... leaving me standing there with my jaw on the ground.

But I DID get the CUTEST cat salt and pepper shakers~!
http://www.wwwlenox.com/images/pg/product_images/097286_wb2.jpg

They were only $5 :) Now I need to paint my kitchen blue and white to match my darling little kitty salt and pepper shakers! :D :p

Lightning SuperCat
09-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Oh, I am so sorry I missed this! :o I didn't get to give you the official Lightning birthday picture! :p
Without further ado..... :p
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid180/pf07c6bad69679f9da4e94e6900205bd0/f2f7f8f6.jpg
I know how you feel my brother drives me nuts every day, and my birthday is just a better excuse to annoy me!!! :rolleyes:
BTW, the salt and pepper shakers are so cute! I love tham!

Pawsitive Thinking
09-09-2005, 10:48 AM
He's your brother - that's what they do!

Belated happy birthday to you :)

Samantha Puppy
09-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Sorry your brother spoiled your high. If it makes you feel any better though, I get comments about how many cats I have from EVERYONE - my husband's family, neighbords - and it's made even worse now that it is apparent that I'm pregnant. My neighbor admonished me for having 4 cats and said "That's not good for the baby." :mad:

So you're not alone. Not much we can do but grin and bear it and stick up for ourselves and our furballs when necessary.

Happy belated birthday!

moosmom
09-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Kim,

You sound like you've got the same kind of brother I do. ALWAYS lecturing me. I try to call him just to talk and he's always too busy. But emails???? I get those on a weekly basis about what I should do with my life, look for a better job, blah, blah, blah. He makes it sound like it's so easy.

I would've told him to kiss off too! Afterall, you're a grown woman and can do whatever you want. When I told my brother about the Sphynx Rescue going on, his comment was, "I certainly hope you don't plan on taking another cat in." My reply??? "Whether I do or don't is none of your f------ business."

Just remember...God made great friends to apologize for BAAAAAAAAAAAD relatives.

(((((((HUGS)))))))))))

G535
09-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Most of my family has gone, the ones left, except for a sister, I'd like to swap for cats.

CathyBogart
09-09-2005, 08:11 PM
I can relate...try having reptiles/inverts for awhile...People are always saying "ooh, I'd SQUISH it!" or "How can you stand to have those in yur house - I know I'LL never come over THERE!" or other stupid mean rude things.