PDA

View Full Version : barking pooch

Kata
09-06-2005, 08:20 PM
We need help. Our 8 month old Bichon sits in front of the window and barks whenever anyone walks in front of the house. This is rather irritating. Any suggestions? Many thanks.

IRescue452
09-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Welcome to the world of owning a bichon. I'd suggest restricting access to the window as well as giving the pup some better activity. It sounds like the pup is quite bored and is having a ball barking at passersby. Don't yell at the puppy or say no because he will think you are barking right along with him (what a fun puppy-owner activity!) Instead use a quick eh-eh or shhh sounds and then distract him with a toy. Make sure to use plenty of praise each time he doesn't bark at people.

juju
09-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Have just been watching a programme on tv about dog behaviour and one ladys dog wouldnt stop barking so the behaviourist stated to her that she must not yell at the dog use hand signals, followed by the word quiet and then treat the dog, as stated to you shouting at the dog and the dog thinks you are barking back at it. hope you sort it, i am having this problem to
so i am so glad i watched it.