PDA

View Full Version : cockapoo owners?

dab_20
09-06-2005, 06:29 PM
i have a toy poodle mix. we recently had a cocker spaniel die. :( next spring we are going to get a cockapoo puppy. i can't find information about them, (because they are a mix breed) can anyone tell me their cockapoo's personality, or give me a site that has alot of info.?

Glacier
09-06-2005, 06:34 PM
So in your last thread, the one about pounds, you said that irresponsible breeding is a problem. Right? Cock-a-poos are a prime example of irresponsible breeding--the intentional breeding of a mixed breed dog. So you don't like pounds and shelters who are trying to help and now you are going to contribute to the problem? Every puppy bought from an irresponsible breeder, a pet store ect, leads to the death of another pound puppy who can't find a home.

IRescue452
09-06-2005, 06:42 PM
There is a cockapoo standard I will try to find for you. Basically they are like any other mix, it depends on the dog and its individual situation as to what it will be like.
edit: http://www.cockapooclub.com/ccapagesgen/ccabreedstandard.htm
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/11111/80844
http://www.cockapoos.com/generalcontent/nacrcockapooinfo.htm

There are many sites as the cockapoo is a ckc recognized mix which means they set forth a standard and they keep track of registered dogs' pedigrees. I recommend looking into a rescue group as there are so many homeless cockapoo puppies and adults already.

dab_20
09-06-2005, 06:44 PM
so what is going to happen to that puppy if it can't find a home or goes to a bad owner? it goes to a shelter! all i asked is a simple question! CAN ANYONE ANSWER ME THAT ISN'T GOING TO TELL ME I AM IRRESPONSIBLE FOR WANTING A MIX BREED PUPPY???

dab_20
09-06-2005, 06:44 PM
THANK YOU IRESCUE.

cali
09-06-2005, 06:49 PM
it goes to a shelter!

exactly which mean you get one that was dumped at the shelter and support the shelter rather then handing over money to a breeder that because you handed them your many they will make more dogs suffer. think ahead, nobody is upset that you want a mixed breed, people are upset that you would rather support a puppy mill then a shleter.

animal_rescue
09-06-2005, 06:50 PM
there's a cockapoo list on petfinder.com

buttercup132
09-06-2005, 07:22 PM
im sure you couls find a cockapoo in a shelter youd feel better about getting it from there knowing youv'e saved its life and are helping take down the pound population

Lexi_Lover
09-06-2005, 07:24 PM
I know that PrinceBrewJulia has a beautiful girl named Julia! :D LOL! I see her ALL the time!

dab_20
09-06-2005, 07:51 PM
in the first place i didn't even say i wasn't getting it from a shelter. i prolly will get a cockapoo from a shelter. but we have to wait because my mom needs to save up money so we can get the dog spayed and for groomers and stuff. also right now their are no cockapoos in our area. i go on petfinder.com almost everyday. it is a really good website.

poofy
09-06-2005, 09:34 PM
every body has mixed breeds, just that most of them dont have names, and there arent breeders out there making a mint off of them.which should be regulated . But you can like all kinds of mixed breeds, but if you like one that is the (quote) desiger breeds(unqote) your a ucky person..even if you do find it at a shelter..Im sick at heart because alittle carin terrier,poodle died today at the shelter it was at..they didnt even know she was dead till we gave them the id number and asked about her..what a shame..sick..:mad: there are the mixed breeds that need homes to..they are there so we like them..good thing we do, there has to be some one to take them in..:rolleyes:

bckrazy
09-06-2005, 09:35 PM
:( Your statements are SUPER hypocritical. You say you are getting a "Cockapoo puppy", not just a Cockapoo. There are rarely Cockapoo puppies in shelters... why? Because the irresponsible, impulsive buyers that do dump their dogs in shelters almost ALWAYS postpone that until the puppy gets bigger, starts going through adolescent phases, the newness wears off, or they dump their senior Cockapoo that is starting to get health problems.

AND, you just said your Mom is saving up money to "spay" the puppy. If you intended to rescue a Cockapoo from a shelter, you wouldn't need money for spaying ~ you'd just need $80-150 to adopt the spayed, utd on shots, healthy dog.

Please consider rescuing any small, poodle mix. There are a lot of sweet "designer" dogs that are bought from pet stores and BYB's and many dumped in shelters. With Cockapoo's, you basically have no clear prediction on what the puppy's personality/size/coat type the dog will be because it is a MIXED breed. Puppies will also cost a LOT of money besides the initial spaying and grooming ~ what if the puppy contracts an illness? Think about all of the rounds of shots in the first year, all of the heartworm and flea meds, good food, many toys and chewies. Not to mention, 99% of dogs from pet stores ARE sick with kennel cough or a number of other illnesses, as are pups from BYB's and mills ~ NO responsible breeder will breed mixed breeds! Therefore, rescuing is the only way to go, unless you just want to pour more money into the pockets of greedy puppy mills and BYB's at the expense of the dogs. You say you want to "rescue" a Cockapoo puppy... but what about that puppies parents, still trapped in cages pumping out several litters a year? What about that puppies siblings? And their cousins, uncles, aunts, etc? Supporting the mills and BYB's IS contributing to the overpopulation, because if there is no demand there will be no supply.

You said you'd like to volunteer at a shelter? Why don't you try volunteering, and find a dog that truly fits you and you'd like to give a loving home to?

Pam
09-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by dab_20
we have to wait because my mom needs to save up money so we can get the dog spayed and for groomers and stuff.

If you are having to wait to save up money for grooming you might want to think of looking at another breed because grooming is an ongoing need. Cockapoos are half poodle and, as such, need to be groomed at the minimum every 4-6 weeks. Groomers can be very expensive. I would suggest that you might want to learn to do it yourself but clippers and all of the grooming tools you will need would involve a cash outlay of $150+.

dab_20
09-07-2005, 04:59 PM
ok ppl lay off me. we are planning to get any poodle mix, just a cockapoo would be the ideal size. any poodle mix that size would work. i know that grooming is an on going thing, we've always had long haired dogs. i was giving an example. we mostly need to save money to BUY the dog. i think if you dont have any HELPFUL information to give me, dont reply at all. almost every post i put, someone has to tell me i am wrong, and i dont have good judgement. just cuz i am young, doesn't mean i dont know anything!!!

PJ's Mom
09-07-2005, 05:19 PM
You're young and we're trying to teach you. Nobody is trying to give you a hard time.

I own a cocker and while I don't own a cockapoo, I know the grooming can be very expensive. It's at least $40 a month..and that's on a good month. Usually I spend between $60 - 80 to keep Peej looking and smelling nice. You should let your mom know how much to expect to pay. (and that's not even mentioning the health problems that common to cockers.)

There are some really great dogs in the shelter. bailey came from the shelter and we were looking at getting another cocker at the time. I bet if you go, you'll be surprised at who finds you. ;)

Pam
09-07-2005, 05:30 PM
ok ppl lay off me. we are planning to get any poodle mix, just a cockapoo would be the ideal size. any poodle mix that size would work. i know that grooming is an on going thing, we've always had long haired dogs. i was giving an example. we mostly need to save money to BUY the dog. i think if you dont have any HELPFUL information to give me, dont reply at all. almost every post i put, someone has to tell me i am wrong, and i dont have good judgement. just cuz i am young, doesn't mean i dont know anything!!!

I'm sorry. I didn't realize the way my post must have sounded. I just thought I would mention that there is really nothing wrong with learning to do grooming yourself. :) I started way back 30 years ago because I had two toy poodles and thought I would like to save some money. I actually really do enjoy doing my dogs to this day. I had no formal training when I started. I just bought a book and sort of experimented. Once the grooming equipment is bought there is no expense involved at all except for shampoo. :)

I guess I sounded harsh because ungroomed poodles are a pet peeve of mine. I think there are a lot of folks around who will get a poodle or poodle mix just because they fall in love with the dog (completely understandable) but don't realize what is involved in keeping up their coats.

My Ripley was a stray. I found him at a shelter over two years ago. He was the most matted mess of a dog that you would ever want to lay your eyes on. It may be because he was *on his own* for quite some time or that his former people just didn't care. When I saw him at the shelter in that condition I just got so mad :mad: but also fell in love. :)

Researching breeds is the best thing anyone who wants a dog can do. There is a dog out there for anyone who wants one for sure! Good luck on your search!

caseysmom
09-07-2005, 06:23 PM
When we were looking for a small dog we went all over to 4 differerent shelters MANY times....people were fighting over the small dogs. I guess now looking back I think that if I did not get him I would have saved a larger dog from a shelter.

And actually I adopted casey from a shelter she is 35-40 lbs and she is much less work than Bubba....I guess its the puppy thing, its much easier adopting an adult dog.

The grooming is a big expense also, I have tried to do it myself and its a lot of work and not the same. I am not trying to discourage you, bubba is half shitzu/half poodle...he was supposedly a whoops litter but now I kind of wonder.He is a really nice dog with a great personality, long term health wise I can't say.

dab_20
09-07-2005, 07:46 PM
yah when i posted this, we were getting another dog because my cocker spaniel died. i know cockers very well, their sweet and happy all the time. but the health problems! thats why she died, she got some kind of cancer. i miss her alot:(

dab_20
09-07-2005, 07:47 PM
oh and the place we go to (i live in a little town) we only have to spend 25$ every couple months:) its cheap, and she does a good job.

dab_20
09-07-2005, 07:49 PM
OH AND PAM, IM SORRY, I DIDN'T MEAN TO GET MAD AT YOU. I MEANT THE OTHER PERSON. SO DONT WORRY ABOUT IT, AND I KNOW, UNGROOMED POODLES ARE PRETTY BAD:p LOL

Uabassoon
09-07-2005, 07:51 PM
oh and the place we go to (i live in a little town) we only have to spend 25$ every couple months:) its cheap, and she does a good job.

Groomers vary their price depending on the dog. Some dogs are easier than others to groom. Dogs that require less work cost less many than those that require a lot of work. You can't go a couple of months without grooming a poodle, their hair will become very matted.

dab_20
09-07-2005, 08:39 PM
well the last time the lady SHAVED her without our permission, and so right now her hair is less than an inch long, and its been a couple months. otherwise we do it every five weeks. i brush her twice a day and give her baths regularly

LexieLove
09-07-2005, 08:58 PM
http://www.fischerprocess.com/rescuedogs.html

there thats a website you can go to.. its a cockapoo/poodle mix RESCUE.. i hope that makes everyone happy.. she gets her dog and also saving it.. no HOW easy was that? :rolleyes: ;) :) :eek:

dab_20
09-07-2005, 09:11 PM
thanks alot, but i cant get the dog until spring. i just needed some information.... but thanks anyways! i will look at that next spring. ok, i know that ppl get angry in this thread, so im sorry. i dont mean to make anyone mad, i just asked something. so i will remove the thread. unless someone doesn't want me to.

IRescue452
09-08-2005, 08:23 AM
That is the second time recently I've heard of health problems in cockers. I've never had a problem with mine and she's 14. My uncle's cocker/springer died at an older age with no health problems- she was hit by a car, my grandfather's cocker was a year older than Pepper so she must have been 13 when she died, my aunt's cocker was 15 when he died. Where are people getting these unhealthy cockers?
Back to grooming, I think you should learn to do it yourself. It's not hard at all if you get a blade that cuts the fur to about an inch or 1/2 inch length. You will be so proud of your work each time you are done.

PJ's Mom
09-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Peej is very healthy except for his eye. Cockers tend to have ear problems and eye problems more often than anything. :)

The fact that Peej has clean, shiny ears always amazes his doctor. ;)

dab_20
09-08-2005, 04:11 PM
well we got my cocker from alcoholics. she was in a nuerotic line. she was sooooo afraid of strangers and thunder storms and chased cars. but we loved her soo much, because she was a sweetie with her own family. she died right before she turned 8.

dab_20
09-08-2005, 04:13 PM
oh, and about the 'grooming your own dog thing', that would not work for us. my mom tryed it on my cocker once, and it took 4 hours just to get half of it done, and she hated hair cuts, so taking molli, my toy poodle mix, to the groomers is no problem for us!