PDA

View Full Version : Betta Nutrition?

areias
09-06-2005, 06:16 PM
I got my first betta fish last Thursday, who I named Elvis.

I got one of those 1 gallon betta setups, and it came with betta flakes.

Fast forward to Thursday, and he still hasn't eaten the flakes.

So I go back to Petsmart after some research, grab some pellets and some bloodworms as a treat, and come home. I changed his water, and threw 3 pellets in there. Still didn't eat. Two days later, he still isn't eating, so I break open the bloodworms and throw a couple in there. He gobbles them right up.

So my question is, do bloodworms provide enough nutrition to keep him healthy? Is there anything I can do to get him to eat his pellets? He's happily eating the bloodworms but I can't imagine they have the full round of vitamins. I am fish-challenged, but I'm trying to learn. I want to get a 10 gallon aquarium, but if I can't get even my Betta to eat...heh, it might be a bad idea.

Personally, I think Elvis is laughing at me..he figured he could wait out long enough for the good stuff.

dab_20
09-06-2005, 08:33 PM
i would do some research on the internet. sorry i couldent help!

AvaJoy
09-08-2005, 07:33 PM
For everything you ever wanted to know about Bettas, I recommend bettatalk.com, as it is a very comprehensive (and entertaining!) website that I found most helpful when I had mine.

areias
09-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks guys. I'll definately check out the website. From what I can find, I should get a couple different types of frozen foods...I think. Well, I guess its trial and error about now.

AvaJoy
09-08-2005, 08:18 PM
It has been a few years since I had my Bettas, but if I recall correctly, she (the breeder that has the website I mentioned . . . it is like 60 pages so plan to spend some time when you go on it) recommends BettaMin as a staple food, and worms as a treat. I believe that is partly due to the fact that the worms tend to foul the water. Best of luck and lots of enjoyment with your fish!:)