PDA

View Full Version : Barbara Bush's Comments

elizabethann
09-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Hmmmm....think these comments are true? Do you think they were taken out of context? Thoughts please.

Finally, we have discovered the roots of George W. Bush's "compassionate conservatism."

On the heels of the president's "What, me worry?" response to the death, destruction and dislocation that followed upon Hurricane Katrina comes the news of his mother's Labor Day visit with hurricane evacuees at the Astrodome in Houston.

Commenting on the facilities that have been set up for the evacuees -- cots crammed side-by-side in a huge stadium where the lights never go out and the sound of sobbing children never completely ceases -- former First Lady Barbara Bush concluded that the poor people of New Orleans had lucked out.

"Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them," Mrs. Bush told American Public Media's "Marketplace" program, before returning to her multi-million dollar Houston home.

On the tape of the interview, Mrs. Bush chuckles audibly as she observes just how great things are going for families that are separated from loved ones, people who have been forced to abandon their homes and the only community where they have ever lived, and parents who are explaining to children that their pets, their toys and in some cases their friends may be lost forever. Perhaps the former first lady was amusing herself with the notion that evacuees without bread could eat cake.

At the very least, she was expressing a measure of empathy commensurate with that evidenced by her son during his fly-ins for disaster-zone photo opportunities.

On Friday, when even Republican lawmakers were giving the federal government an "F" for its response to the crisis, President Bush heaped praise on embattled Federal Emergency Management Agency chief Michael Brown. As thousands of victims of the hurricane continued to plead for food, water, shelter, medical care and a way out of the nightmare to which federal neglect had consigned them, Brown cheerily announced that "people are getting the help they need."

Barbara Bush's son put his arm around the addled FEMA functionary and declared, "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."

Like mother, like son.

Even when a hurricane hits, the apple does not fall far from the tree.

lizbud
09-06-2005, 05:41 PM
I did read her quoted words,

"Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them,"

but there was no commentary on what she said. It just went
on with the rest of the article. I'll admit I was shocked a bit. I've
always liked Mrs. Bush.

RICHARD
09-06-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
I did read her quoted words,

"Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them,"

but there was no commentary on what she said. It just went
on with the rest of the article. I'll admit I was shocked a bit. I've
always liked Mrs. Bush.

LOLOLOLOL

But, you cut that Klowne West some slack for saying that the troops sent into the disaster area were brought in to "shoot us"......

Simply amazing!

;)

lizbud
09-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Not me. I don't even know who that is. Better go back and
find who you're talking about.

RICHARD
09-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Not me. I don't even know who that is. Better go back and
find who you're talking about.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87676

Please comment on this, please?

I saw this twice over the weekend

The first time to shake my head and the second to make sure that I heard correctly.

His 'speech' is after the Harry Connick Jr./Marsalis Jam.

lizbud
09-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Richard,

I want some of what you're smoking.:) That's Elizabethann.

Not me.

RICHARD
09-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Richard,

I want some of what you're smoking.:) That's Elizabethann.

Not me.

I can't 'smoke' at work.....

I was making a joke about the pass.....

What do you think about his comments?

I should be home in about 45 minutes...then?

FLAME ON!!!

:D

elizabethann
09-06-2005, 07:34 PM
I'm so confused.

lizbud
09-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by elizabethann
I'm so confused.

Me too.:D I'll have to sign off soon, I have a pupster that's
not feeling to great. Check back later if I'm able.

lizbud
09-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by RICHARD
I can't 'smoke' at work.....

I was making a joke about the pass.....

What do you think about his comments?

I should be home in about 45 minutes...then?

FLAME ON!!!

Richard,

Still can't figure out why you were quoteing me in this thread
while refering to another that I didn't read or comment on?

What's the pass?

RICHARD
09-07-2005, 12:44 PM
HOKAY..

Since you posted about Baba Bush, I was wondering why didn't post anything on the West comment, Since you didn't see or hear him ....I used EA's post as a reference point.

;)

lizbud
09-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Saw this this morning. Funny.:D

Mother's remark puts silver foot in Bush's mouth
John Kass

September 7, 2005

I was all set to defend President Bush as a guy who really doesn't want poor black people in Louisiana and Mississippi to die of starvation and disease, no matter what the Democrats say.

But then Barbara Bush, the president's mom, went and dusted off the Bush family silver foot Monday. And she used it.

While touring the Houston Astrodome, where thousands of Hurricane Katrina refugees have been huddling, Barbara Bush said they didn't have it so bad because, heck, they were poor to begin with.

"What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas," she was quoted as saying in an interview on National Public Radio.

Thousands of hurricane refugees were sitting on or near their green army cots, perhaps thinking of lunch, presumably waiting to be fed something hearty.

Anything but cake.

"Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality," Barbara Bush said. And here comes the fastball over the middle of the Democratic plate:

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them."

At least she didn't ask them to sing and dance. But I'm sure it's working out very well for them. How often does something nice like a hurricane come by and change your life so you can hang out with thousands of others in the Astrodome and have Barbara Bush say it wasn't so bad, because you were poor anyway?

By my calculations, Barb's foot is about a 10 1/2 EE, but by the time you read this on Wednesday, after Leno and Letterman get through with her, she'll have an EEEE at least. There should be some back teeth stuck to the pinky toe when the surgeon general finally pulls it out.

You've got to figure that somewhere, former Texas Democratic Gov. Ann Richards is smiling. It was Richards, or perhaps one of her pointy-headed ghostwriters, who came up with the devastating line about former President George H.W. Bush.

Richards said the former president couldn't be blamed for his misstatements, because he was born with a silver foot in his mouth. Now it turns out Barbara was in charge of the silver. She polished it up good and shiny. And in political terms, she put her foot in her son's mouth and knocked loose a few teeth.

I'm sure Barbara won't be able to fix things up just by bringing a lime Jell-O mold (with floating chunks of pineapple) over to the White House at suppertime.

"Son?"

"What, Ma?"

"I'm sorry what I said about those people. However, I did make Jell-O to cheer you up."

"With the chunks?"

Most of us have moms, but if we're lucky, they never made Jell-O with or without the hideous chunks. But most of us don't have moms who could start a war with China or overturn the Republican's Southern Strategy with a few choice words, like Barbara Bush just did.

Please don't get it into your head that my constant exposure to people in the mainstream media--many of whom are still peeved that Al Gore isn't president--has changed my political views. It hasn't.

But what Barbara Bush said can't be ignored. She's the former first lady, the current first grandmother, and she's no political cream puff.

Even though she's got that soft white hair and those crinkly blue eyes, she also has that deadly string of pearls and probably rattled them at Laura Bush when they first met, and Laura got flustered and blurted out that her two hobbies were reading and smoking.

Who wouldn't get flustered? I'm scared of her, too, and I've only seen her on TV.

Like the president, my mom's a Republican, so I called to warn her about what Barbara Bush said.

"No!" she said. "That can't be true."

I could hear her fingers typing on her laptop, frantically trying to get to The National Review Online, where she could find ammunition to refute such a heinous story created by the liberal mainstream media.

But it is true and she knows it now, and I had to remind her of something that all reporters and editors remind their families, particularly moms: Don't talk to reporters, ever.

It has nothing to do with journalists thinking we're famous or popular or that anyone cares what we say. It does have to do, however, with the ancient fear held by most humans (except for the Jerry Springer set) that anything our moms say may be embarrassing, that the women who brought us into the world can take us out of it with one foolish statement, a la Barbara Bush.

And, besides, we're reporters. We know what we're like.

So, what did I say about reporters?

"Never to talk to them, ever?" said my mom, who was a reporter once, but repeated this to humor me.

Exactly.

----------

RICHARD
09-08-2005, 01:40 AM
So I guess West gets a pass???

moosmom
09-08-2005, 08:39 AM
"Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them," Mrs. Bush told American Public Media's "Marketplace" program, before returning to her multi-million dollar Houston home.

I used to like Babs too. Thought she was very grandmotherly, compassionate and very smart.

Now, after that remark??? DUMBER THAN A BAG OF ROCKS!!! It's a little late for HER gene pool to be filtered. I mean, like Elizabethann said it perfectly...

Even when a hurricane hits, the apple does not fall far from the tree.

As far as the Bush Silver Boot going anywhere??? Bend over Babs!!

RICHARD
09-08-2005, 04:15 PM
there have been plenty of people making dumb remarks and It's a gas to see that the dumb remarks are being monitored a lot closer that the racist crap that Jackson, Sharpton and west have spewed over the last week..

Stupid is stupid,
But being a friggin racist, bigot or widening the gap between all of us is o.k.?

Support the troops,
Even when they are accused of going down to "shoot all of us"

The silence is deafening.

RICHARD
09-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Howard Dean just shot one across the bow of the White Houise

He went to a black caucus meeting for the Baptists and started to play race cards.......

Come on Democrats!!!.

Defend your man!;)

That pesky Babba Bush makes stupid statements...

Stupidity, It's just not for Republicans anymore.:eek:

lizbud
09-08-2005, 06:12 PM
GULF COAST CRISIS: SNAPSHOTS FROM THE STORM
Barbara Bush's remark clarified

From Tribune staff reporter Angela Rozas and news services
Published September 8, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Barbara Bush was making "a personal observation" when she said poor people at a relocation center in Houston were faring better than before Hurricane Katrina struck, President Bush's spokesman said Wednesday.

Mrs. Bush, after touring the Astrodome complex in Houston on Monday, said: "What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them." She commented during a radio interview with the American Public Media program "Marketplace."

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said: "I think she was making a personal observation on some of the comments that people were making that she was running into. ... But what we're focused on is helping these people who are in need."

Asked if Bush agreed with his mother, McClellan said: "I think that the observation is based on someone or some people that were talking to her that were in need of a lot of assistance, people that have gone through a lot of trauma and been through a very difficult and trying time. And all of a sudden, they are now getting great help in the state of Texas from some of the shelters."

RICHARD
09-08-2005, 07:16 PM
GULF COAST CRISIS: SNAPSHOTS FROM THE STORM
Barbara Bush's remark clarified

Go "West" young lady....

lolololol,

Lay off the oldy lady.

Let's pick on the crotch grabbing, stuttering, R and B artists..

You know...the people that America takes seriously, the people who are real morons...

Or as Kayne says....

"Katrina victims, I love you...."

I warned you about the killer troops sent into the area.
:cool: ;)

lizbud
09-08-2005, 07:37 PM
One of these days you're going to have to explain who this
"Kayne" person is anyway & why anybody should listen to
anything he's ever said.

Forgot to mention, I don't follow the lastest goingson of "celebrities" Seems like a new celeb is creeated every 15 min.

kuhio98
09-08-2005, 07:53 PM

I can't see that this is a negative or insensitive comment.
"Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality....." I believe that. I would be overwhelmed if I was warm and safe and dry after losing everything. The generosity of strangers would overwhelm me that's for sure.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underpriviledged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them........." I believe that too. Many of the people rescued did not having electricity or running water in their homes. Didn't have a safe place to sleep or enough food to eat even before Katrina. If I was in that situation, I'd be thrilled to be in the shelter.

Now the part about Mrs. Bush returning to her multi-million dollar Houston home, is just unnecessary. While it's the truth, the whole story seems slanted to cast the Bush family in a negative light. Are they supposed to be ashamed that they have a nice home? Why? Are they supposed to leave their nice home to move into the shelter? Why? I'm scratching my head. 'Cuz I don't see why her comments were taken negatively. :confused:

And no, I didn't vote for either President's Bush.

RICHARD
09-09-2005, 01:47 AM
One of these days you're going to have to explain who this
"Kayne" person is anyway & why anybody should listen to
anything he's ever said.

lololololololol,

An apropo zinger.....

So why should we listen to anything that Babba Bush says, for that matter....

So you don't respect the elders, eh??;)

-------------------------------------

You'll know Kayne West when he shows up on the police blotter portion of you local news!!

RICHARD
09-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Here's a jewel from Dr Phil...

"We have never seen anything like this before"
-talking about Katrina..

I guess he's too busy yelling at people and counting his money to remember the Tsunami of 2004.

Yeah, we have seen it before, this time it showed up on our doorstep.

:rolleyes:

RICHARD
09-11-2005, 12:40 PM
A local radio voice defended West last night.

And used the exact reasons that everyone else used...

Are ALL Democrats like the BORG???
Oh, and she knew who he was..

A talented muscian. tee hee........

I watched part of his frentic contribution to the concert the other night...

"Feet don't fail me now......."

Oh my, he's a writer too.

Please.

lizbud
09-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
A local radio voice defended West last night.

And used the exact reasons that everyone else used...

Are ALL Democrats like the BORG???
Oh, and she knew who he was..

A talented muscian. tee hee........

I watched part of his frentic contribution to the concert the other night...

"Feet don't fail me now......."

Oh my, he's a writer too.

Please.

Richard,

Is this the person you've been obsessing about? I saw that
concert & you are right, it was a lame choice of songs to sing.

RICHARD
09-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Richard,

Is this the person you've been obsessing about? I saw that
concert & you are right, it was a lame choice of songs to sing.

Me, obsessing??

It's probably my evil twin you are talking about.

:o