PDA

View Full Version : PETA is WRONG about the animals left from Katrina!

mugsy
09-06-2005, 11:44 AM
I have seen that letter written by PETA all over the place and it is SO wrong.

The HSUS is there and has rescued either hundreds or thousands as of today, NOAH'S WISH has done the same and the ASCPA as well. People are being reunited with their pets all over the place. On another board I belong to a young police recruit found out that his dog and his room mate's dog are ok and are now awaiting transport arranged by a friend of mine. A local rescue here in Fort Wayne headed down today to get 75 animals and bring them back here for vet work and adoption. There is absolutely no truth to what is printed. Even Fox News is doing stories about the pets and how to reclaim them.

OY! I guess it's just another ploy for attention by PETA.

DJFyrewolf36
09-06-2005, 11:55 AM
What did PETA say? I haven't seen the letter although I'm sure they've gone over the top yet again...:rolleyes:

*Edit* I just saw the letter in another thread....Yeesh! Sigh, don't they watch the news?

lizbud
09-06-2005, 12:25 PM
People Try To Help New Orleans Boy Find Dog
One Vet May Have Missing Pet

POSTED: 9:53 am EST September 6, 2005

NEW ORLEANS -- People everywhere are trying to help reunite a young New Orleans boy with his dog, Snowball.

The story of the tearful boy torn from his dog while being shuttled to safety last week prompted an outpouring from around the country.

Volunteers have been scouring shelters, posting notes on the Internet and making phone calls.

The head of the Louisiana SPCA says "Everyone wants to know about Snowball."

A Florida woman was so distressed that she started a reward fund and set up a Web site to help reunite people with their lost pets.

There is a ray of hope. The United Animal Nations said Sunday that Snowball was safe, citing news from the state veterinarian's office. But there's some confusion as to whether it's the same dog.

Animal welfare agencies have been working to rescue hundreds of animals left behind in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

mugsy
09-06-2005, 12:32 PM
[There is a ray of hope. The United Animal Nations said Sunday that Snowball was safe, citing news from the state veterinarian's office. But there's some confusion as to whether it's the same dog.
. [/B]

It has been determine that the dog is, in fact, Snowball. I got an update this morning.

elizabethann
09-06-2005, 03:06 PM
What did they say???? I can't find anything about it. Please share!!!

Thanks!

mugsy
09-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by elizabethann
What did they say???? I can't find anything about it. Please share!!!

Thanks!

Here it is from one of the threads on here....

Urgent: Tell Your Federal Representatives to Demand Animals’ Safe Evacuation From New Orleans!
Dear Friend,

Your immediate attention and response is requested. No animal rescue groups have been allowed into New Orleans to help animals, who have been left stranded on their own. Sending money is not solving the animals’ problem, which is worsening by the hour.

Meanwhile, federal authorities are forcing everyone—including elderly residents who have stayed in water-logged residences for five days just to safeguard their beloved animals—to leave their animals behind to starve. In some cases, people are told that they must choose between bringing vital medicine and bringing their dog when they are evacuated. This is illegal and it must stop.

PETA has issued a media advisory stating that we will prosecute any known violators, but that is not stopping federal evacuators from insisting that animals be left to die. Today, Rue McClanahan wrote to President George W. Bush, calling on him to order officials to allow people to evacuate with their animals.

Please, immediately call your member of Congress today to ask that people be allowed to evacuate with their animals. Leave messages for them in Washington and at their home offices and get everyone you know to call. The names of—and contact information for—your representative and senators can be found online. Please forward this alert to others willing to lend their voices to help with this emergency.

Thank you for your compassion for animals and for your willingness to act today.

Sincerely,

Daniel Paden
Domestic Animal and Wildlife Rescue & Information Department
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

Lady's Human
09-06-2005, 04:30 PM
I really can't decide what's worse. Media not reporting or distorting the truth, or people using media distorions and late news to inflame the public.

RICHARD
09-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Lady's Human
I really can't decide what's worse. Media not reporting or distorting the truth, or people using media distorions and late news to inflame the public.

How's about people who don't google?:mad:

Lady's Human
09-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Check sources? That's so 1970's of you.

moosmom
09-08-2005, 09:48 AM
I read in another thread here that a cop was taking the dog away from this little boy as the poor kid was screaming "Snowball, Snowball!!

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87828&highlight=snowball

I don't know what to believe anymore. And leave it to PETA to grandstand THEIR organization. :mad:

mugsy
09-08-2005, 01:10 PM
I'm about sick of Snowball stories. Good God they act like Snowball is the only flippin' dog to be taken away from his owner. Snowball has been found and is on his way to being returend to his owner.....ACK!! We need to focus on the other dogs that have been abandoned....this is getting sad. They have now switched gears from rescue to recovery of dead bodies, so there is little hope now of finding survivors....hopefully the animals fare better.

lizbud
09-08-2005, 01:53 PM
I wish the heck they would quit showing film clips of boats
in the water where they show pictures of dogs tied up on porchs
or sitting on steps surrounded by water. They make no effort to
rescue these pets or even thrown them some food.:mad: If they
are going to ignore them anyway, why show their pitiful plight?

I did hear Brian Williams on NBC Nightly News last night say that
the network has had many, many calls about the animals. Tonight
he said they would show more coverage concerning them. Hoplfully show some who were rescued.

mugsy
09-08-2005, 04:26 PM
They're a little behind the times....Fox News has been reporting on the plight of the animals for a week and have all the numbers etc. I'm just glad that other networks are following suit....it should help.

jesse_3
09-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Poor dogs:( I could cry watching all of it..It isn't fair..I would just take what I have, and try to climb the rooftops, swim, whatever I could to be with Jesse. No one can take her away from me.

I feel sorry for all the owners who had to leave their pets behind.

Steph, Jesse, and Splinter

LorraineO
09-12-2005, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by mugsy
They're a little behind the times....Fox News has been reporting on the plight of the animals for a week and have all the numbers etc. I'm just glad that other networks are following suit....it should help.

is there a site where the numbers and stats are up for viewing ??

I just cant handle much more news of leaving animals stranded and not bothering to help them,, My heart is bursting with pity and anger at the same time.. in fact,, I had to take meds the other day because I got so damned stressed over the thought and few pics I have seen.. its pitiful to see those babies staring back at the cameras with such hope and then change to confusion as they keep on going leaving them behind,, I simply wanna strangle those so called rescue workers,, kick some serious butt or something!!! WHY are we so cruel as a species to those who love us unconditionally?? Makes me ashamed to be a human being........

senorita02
09-12-2005, 09:24 AM
I agree with you 100% Lorraine!

And Lizbud i also agree why are they showing us these animals and then just passing them by???

One lady rescuer stupid B#$%@!!
She attempted to rescue a little dog and grabbed it by its tail and cornered it on a balcony and he was so scared and he fell off into the filthy polluted waters and the lady looked at the camera , smiled and said " We tried" as the dog was flailing around in the water , they did not save him, she practically murdered him!

Corinna
09-12-2005, 10:36 AM
I know I'm going to get hit hard for this here but I think it kind of a comment on our socity when the rescurers of pets were able to be orginized and be there before the humans could get started. I don't mean for adults who were to stupid or poor to get out but kids who had no say in the descion to leave. I know its weird but to me pets and kids are in the same class, both need guidance and care.
Maybe in the future the human rescures could learn from the pet people (no pissing match of whos in charge) just get the job done.!!!!! I have been glad and proud to hear of all the rescures and rehomings if I could I would take one too but landlord says the 2 I have now are plenty.

mugsy
09-12-2005, 04:19 PM
1. I have 2 friends that are down there now doing dog rescue work and they say that it's sad, but, they are still finding dogs and cats and they are on 20 hours and off 4 a day. Once a week they get a 1/2 a day off to de-stress.

2. I am finally going to say what I have felt all along (and knowing this board, will get blasted for it) and that is why in the bloody hell did these people leave their animals there in the first place. They would have been prying my dogs out of my cold dead hands before I would have left them. I realize I wasn't/aren't there, but, I know how I feel and what I would have done. A friend of mine's niece and her husband put their animals on a tarp and swam 2 miles to safety. The other question is why didn't these people leave when they had 4 days advance notice? If they couldn't afford to leave then go somewhere close that would have been safer...I know, I know, I don't live there and wasn't involved, but, as an outsider looking in, that is my thought. In fact, I had this exact conversation with a friend of mine 2 days before the storm hit...and made the same comment then.

3. I would suggest going to Fox News' website and seeing if the numbers are there. I will look on the other board that I am on that is heavily involved with collecting donations and where to send things etc...

LorraineO
09-13-2005, 05:47 AM
Quote from MUGSY
******The other question is why didn't these people leave when they had 4 days advance notice? If they couldn't afford to leave then go somewhere close that would have been safer...I know, I know, I don't live there and wasn't involved, but, as an outsider looking in, that is my thought. In fact, I had this exact conversation with a friend of mine 2 days before the storm hit...and made the same comment then.*******

Virtually all of those ppl left behind who couldnt leave are living from pay check to pay check,,,, some have NO $$$ after paying the bare necessities,, so just how do you propose these ppl leave?? It takes $$ to do anything these days,, esp to get to an area that was even remotely safe from the storms path.... and where was your ever powerful Govt thru this all?? Being idiots and not sending buses that could have prevented most of the human suffering......

(Yes,, there were those who stayed who had the means to leave and they are indeed dumb butts)

Lady's Human
09-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Being idiots and not sending buses that could have prevented most of the human suffering......

The governmental idiots who failed to use buses to get people out were first and foremost the Mayor of NO and the Gov of LA.

lizbud
09-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Lady's Human
The governmental idiots who failed to use buses to get people out were first and foremost the Mayor of NO and the Gov of LA.

Did she say otherwise? I believe they handed over their
obligations to FEMA expecting they would call the shots. Very
bad decision.

Lady's Human
09-13-2005, 09:35 PM
Normally when people refer to the government in terms such as "the ever powerful Government" they're referring not to the state and local governments, but the federal government.

LorraineO
09-14-2005, 05:37 AM
Well I was referring to the whole lot of them....... They all had a hand in being completely incompetant

Laura's Babies
09-19-2005, 09:48 AM
The sad part is that even if the busses had been provided for the people days ahead, their pets wouldn't have been allowed on them. I saw a news report where when they were taking people off those overpasses, there was a lady with a little white poodle and she had to put it down to get on the bus. The little baby ran around frantically, trying to get back to his Mommie.. I cried like a baby over that.

Someone that somehow has connections told me that Mayor Nagin had asked the govenor DAYS ahead to evuacuate the city, forceably if they had to and she said "NO"! Everything he asked for, she told him "NO!". If she actually said "NO" to all he said she did, those people and pets all suffered and or died needlesley and she has a LOT to account for. She need NOT run for re-election!

Samantha Puppy
09-19-2005, 10:09 AM
In 1927, a horrible flood hit Mississippi. Here are some human and geographical stats regarding this disaster:

16.5 million acres flooded in seven states
637,000 people dislocated
$102 million in crop losses
162,000 homes flooded
41,000 buildings destroyed
6,000 boats used in rescue
250 to 500 deaths.

How much aid did the government give out at that time? Not a single penny. How much help did the army offer? They helped by loaning tents and camp stoves to the refugees. Did that area of the country rise again? Yes - so much so, most people don't even know about the flood of 1927. So what's the difference this time around?

Quite simply, the mantra for the US goverment is "protect life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" - is it not? That's what it says in the Declaration of Independence. 80 years ago, the American people understood that. Now however, it seems as though the American people expect the government's job to be that of PROVIDING life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Last point - Each refugee's story is different. There is no black and white here. Why didn't they leave? We'll never know why most of them didn't. But I will say, if you are too poor to be able to evacuate a city when a Category 5 hurricane is headed your way, how are you supporting an animal (or more) and their needs? I don't know - I'm not rich and we're about to be spread even thinner with the impending birth of our first child... but if a Category 5er was headed my way, I don't care if I had to throw all 4 cats into a bookbag - ALL my animals would've been headed out of town with me.