PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing?

slleipnir
09-06-2005, 12:30 AM
As TOO much of a tip? (Like, for waitressing/bartending)

I usually get 5 bucks from most people, unless their tab runs really high...but even though it balences with how much they spent.

Tonight however, this really nice couple came in and had some wine. I did have anyone else in at that time and they asked me to come over and talk with them...so I said sure. They are such nice people! Really really kind. Anyway, we have 5 VLT's in the bar, and she went and played one of them. I guess she won 44 bucks from putting 3 in.

I cashed her ticket and gave her the money, and she was like that's to pay for our tab and the rest for you. And I was like "Oh, you're tab is going to be under 20" and gave her everything but a 20. She said no, they were going to have more and whatever was left was mine. I thought ok, they'll drink some more, fine.

Anyway, the lady comes up to me later and hands me a 20. I looked at it and was like "Oh, what's this for?" Thinking she wanted 5's for the machine or something. She was like "For you." I was like "But you already gave me MORE thant enough money" and handed it back. She wouldn't take it. I told her her tab was only 26 dollars and that left me with over 15 dollars for a tip. I said she was VERY kind to leave that! She said "Nope! Take it" and walked off.

I was like "Uhhh??" That's over a 35 dollar tip from a 26 dollar tab o___O I felt REALLY guilty taking it, and I wish she would have let me give it back. It doesn't seem right. She gave me a hug when she left and said "Did I leave you enough?" I kinda looked at her and was like MORE!!!! than enough. I even tried to get her hubby to take some -sigh-

Doesn't this seem wrong to you?? Do you think I should have like..MADE them take it back? I feel kinda badly...I don't know why..we don't get too busy, so we usually don't make A LOT in tips..and only ever have 1 person one (except trivia)

Sorry this is SO stupid....but it's kinda bugging me..I feel really greedy..:o I'd feel better if she wouldn't have left so much

Nomilynn
09-06-2005, 12:37 AM
One thing I have learned from my family is that there is as much joy in giving as there is in receiving. If it made that lady happy to give you big tip, thank her, and pass on that joy to the next customer that comes in :) Don't feel guilty - give yourself some credit for doing a good job and making some people very happy to have had you serve them!

slleipnir
09-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I guess you're right. I did thank them a lot. And kept asking if they were sure. lol. Such nice people! It sure brightens your day to have such wonderful people come in. That's why I love my job. You meet the nicest people!

Uabassoon
09-06-2005, 12:42 AM
As long as the customers were nice and respectful then there can never be too big of a tip! Honestly the reason she tipped you so much is because not only does it make you happy it made her happy. Sometimes people like to leave large tips because maybe they worked a restraunt through college and know it's tough, or sometimes it's even something as simple as your reminded them of their daughter and it made them happy. But when people leave big tips they are happy to do so. If she gave you a hug then it just means you gave her great service and it made her enjoy her evening out. So I say don't feel guitly and enjoy the extra cash!

NoahsMommy
09-06-2005, 01:15 AM
That's great!! :)

I think that as long as she KNEW what she was doing, its just fine to take it. People enjoy giving...and you get to benefit! :)

G535
09-06-2005, 03:38 AM
Buy your cats some treats with it, nothing at all to feel guilty about, you probably made her day too!

Daisy and Delilah
09-06-2005, 07:51 AM
I always like to tip well when I like the service. She must have really appreciated your service and tipped you accordingly. Give yourself the credit you deserve for doing a great job and enjoy the money;)

Terry:)

anna_66
09-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Don't feel guilty at all! Obviously she wanted you to have it.

Short story....
One of the girls I work with was waiting on a couple that had just gotten back from Vegas. She's quite a talker and chatted with them most of the time they were there (telling her about what a good time they had and all). Well there check was only around $75 and they left her a $1000 tip:eek: :D
So no, I don't think you should feel guily one little bit;)

new mom to a veiled
09-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Take pride in the fact that you did (do) your job well and made these people happy..........Theres no shame in that ;)