PDA

View Full Version : Found newborn kitten

ashook65
09-05-2005, 12:09 PM
My husband found a newborn kitten in our driveway. It looks like it was just born last nite. I have no idea where it came from. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to take care of it. I have cats but I have never had to take care of their kittens. I have no idea where this kittens mother is. I need to know how often to feed it and any other helpful thing that anyone can help me with.
Thanks Angela

PS: I have a cat that has milk but her kittens are almost weaned and she wont have anything to do with this kitten.

catnapper
09-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Do not give her regular milk. Get to the store and buy KMR - its kitten milk in a can. Feed her with a bottle every TWO HOURS. Keep her warm. Bottle feeding is messy and time consuming, but oh-so-worth it.

You'll also have to help her potty after each feeding by gently rubbing a warm wet cloth on her bladder/belly. Her mom would have done this if she was around.

I have never had bottle babies as young as that, but I have had a few older ones. Good luck!

QueenScoopalot
09-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Bottle feeding is time consuming, but worth it. The kitten must be kept warm as it can't regulate body temperature for several weeks. A heating pad set on low, and well covered to prevent the kitten from getting burned works well. Never feed a kitten on it's back as a human infant would be fed. Lay the kitten on it's belly to nurse. Milk can very easily aspirate into lungs otherwise. KMR is a complete substitute for a cats milk, and as Catnapper said, every few hours around the clock! You'll have to be prepared to get up several times during the night to keep the baby alive. You may want to try removing your nursing cats own kittens, feed the mom cat something really stinky like sardines, and rub some of the sardine juice all over the newborn kitten. I've introduced many orphans to a surrogate mom cat this way.;) If you end up needing to bottle feed in the end, I use very sharp scissors and cut a small X going from the tip of the nipple down. Peircing the tip with a needle never worked for me. Another thing you may want to try, is contacting area shelters in the chance there is a cat with newborns in a foster home. This will save you a lot of lost sleep. ;) Good luck, and keep us posted!

lvpets2002
09-05-2005, 02:19 PM
:) They all took the words right out of my mouth.. Now dont forget to burp the kitty.. They are just alot like human babies.. I have not had a 24 hr old baby; but have had several 3 to 4 day old feral kittens & they all lived.. However it is very time consumnig.. But it will be well worth it & you will be such a proud meowmie..

moosmom
09-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Couldn't have said it better. Call some of the shelters and even vets to see if there are any lactating new mamas. If they do have one, they can put the baby with the mama and she'll get the nourishment she needs. Like Jan said, it'll also save you lots of sleep.

Good luck and PLEASE keep us posted.

momcat
09-05-2005, 04:25 PM
How wonderful of you to take this little baby in and give him/her a chance at the life every kitty deserves! The folks here at PT really know their stuff and you can depend on their good advice. The only thing I would suggest is to take the baby to the vet for a good look see just to rule out some kind of medical problem that might have caused mommy cat to abandon or reject this baby. Please keep us updated?

rg_girlca
09-05-2005, 04:36 PM
You have been given some great advice and I just want to add that I pray that this little one will make it.

Please keep us posted.

K & L
09-05-2005, 05:22 PM
http://www.2ndchance.info/orphankitten.htm

http://www.hdw-inc.com/tinykitten.htm

catmandu
09-05-2005, 06:17 PM
I WOULD CALL,A SHELTER,AND SEE,IF THERE ARE ANY MOM CATS,TAHT ARE NURSING,AS THAT IS A VERY YOUNG,AND FRAIL KITTEN,YOU HAVE THERE.
I HAVE NO ADVICE,JUST PRAYERS,FOR THE LITTLE ONE.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos519.jpg

Uabassoon
09-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Good luck with the kitten, I see you have been given some great advice.

I noticed that you said you have a cat with kittens. When the kittens are weaned you should look into getting the mom and her kittens fixed. There are already so many cats that get put to sleep everyday because there aren't enough homes for all of them.