PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Bites

sammy101
09-05-2005, 12:01 PM
Kodie has mosquito bites all over inside his back legs.He doesnt stop itching them,and they're not healing. It's all red,and just doesnt look very good.He seems to get this every summer,and its even worse w/ fleas.Fleas are horrible here. I was just wondering what can i use to stop the itching?Is there anything from Petsmart that we can use?Or something from the drugstore?
I'll be getting bug spray for him,one that is safe on animals.My aunt actually makes bugspray for dogs and other animals,but i dont remember what its called:o

elizabethann
09-05-2005, 12:09 PM
I remember when Fenway was a puppy and I saw all these spots on his belly and on the inside of his legs! I freaked and brought him to the vet. They told me they were mosquito bites! I was relieved. To be honest, they just went away after about 1 week. I just put bug spray on him before we go out in the deep woods. I don't know what you can put on him to help with the itching. I know at PetSmart I bought some scratch/cut lotion. It looks like q-tips but you break it open and put it on the wound. Perhaps something like that would help?

Good luck.

Den Anne Pen
09-05-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm looking in my home remedies for dogs it's a really a good book it gives you alot of info on many things anyway in this book it suggets

apply a thin layer of aloe vera 2x daily

or
Hydrocortisone cream a thin layer again use one with 0.5 percent hydrocortisone 2x daily also

And it also says you can put skin so soft on the dog to repell flies, mosquitoes, fleas and others it recommends mixing about 1/4 capful in a quart of water then put in spray bottle and give him a spritz weekly,
If you use more then that you'll end up with a greasy pet

I'm going to try that skin so soft not only will it help with the bugs it will make tham smell really good :) :) :)

Hope this helps :)

sammy101
09-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Ok thanks for the ideas. We have some SkinSoSoft,so i'll try that on him next time i take them for a walk.
I'll try the Aloe Vera since we have it,but if that doesnt work i'll go out and buy that stuff elizabethann said,or Hydrocortisone.

thanks!:)

lvpets2002
09-05-2005, 01:51 PM
:) Sammy101 you have gotton some very good advice.. However I just wanted you to know that mosquitos can cause heartworms; so make sure your dog has protection each month..

sammy101
09-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Yup,he has his monthly Heartworm treatment,but i didnt know that so thanks!:)

dragondawg
09-05-2005, 06:07 PM
If they are red and don't look good then that points to infection. A possible short term treatment with Cephalexin or another antibiotic from the Vet would help. Bug bites of any type if repeated set up allergic reactions. Thus start using Benedryl to control the reaction to the new bites. The Vet may recommend 1-2 mg/lb. Finally a precription salve such as Panalog will help to treat externally. If excessive licking of the salve is a problem then after applying it (Panalog is oil based), then apply a thin film of a 1:3 dilution of tea tree oil. The astringent taste is quite unpleasant and the licking will stop. On open wounds it can burn, so be careful.

The Skin So Soft product has a Citronella component that repells (or deters) some bugs. You could try that or there are now Botanical insect repellants with higher concentrations of Citronella in them. Either way you might end up with a greasy mess. More likely once the skin recovers and the allergic reaction calms down that will be sufficient for puppy dog.