PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with Bunnies....HELP!!!!

tazz1227
09-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Hi everyone. I am looking for any advise I can find. I am relocating from Georgia to Colorado and I am trying to figure out the best way to transport my bunnies. I was going to drive them in the car and people say it is too long and stressful. Then I was going to leave them here and fly back and get them and take them on the air plane. Again, I am told it is stressful. Either way they will have "some stress", it can't be avoided but I am trying to figure out the least stressfull way to do it. So if anyone can offer any suggestions or have any experience, please help!

Thanks.
Jackie

Suki Wingy
09-05-2005, 12:07 PM
If they have cages that you can pick up and put in the car I would suggest doing it that way, all separate, and driving around a bit beforehand to get them used to it. You might also have to make the trip in two days for their saftey and health. I take mine in his little travel carrierand he sits in the basket in the front od the mini van when we go to shows, and he actually doesn't seem to mind it and doesn't pee or poop if he can help it.

dab_20
09-05-2005, 03:34 PM
yeah that sounds good. when i have baby bunnies and the go to their new home, we just put them in a box with food and water. but your drive will be much longer, so i would suggest keeping them in their cage and put them in the car with food and water. a little pet carrier works, too. and make sure to seatbelt the cage so that their cage wont slide around. its good to get them used to the car before hand.

Karen
09-05-2005, 03:48 PM
I think driving with them in the car, when they can still be with you, and hear your voice, will be far less stressful than being shipped. Miss Hoppy does not LIKE car rides (as she is convinced they all end at the vet's office, where she simply MUST bite people), but she does fine with the short trips she's taken. An airplane is so very much noisier and cold, and airlines have differeing rules regarding live animals in the cabin, so I'd go with the car trip.

dab_20
09-05-2005, 03:55 PM
oh yah, and airplanes consider rabbits as rodents so they will have to ride down below with all the luggage. and that is way more stressful then a car ride.

wolfie
09-05-2005, 04:42 PM
I vote for the car trip.

Benjamin doesn't love car rides, but he's okay with them. Start out with short rides so your buns gets used to it.

As long as you stop every few hours and take care of your buns needs like food, water, bathroom, I think they should be okay.

Good luck on your move!

buttercup132
09-05-2005, 07:57 PM
roxy loves car rides but she's also been coming shopping with me scince she was like a month old so shes really used to it, try getting them a carrier one big enough for them to move in and strech and stop every once in a while to let them pee and poo ect bring food and lots of water and maybe a litter box then put them somewhere where there is air conditioning a must then they should be fine and maybe bring soemthing from there cage so they have the scent of the cage in there with them or put a blanket or towel wat ever your gonna use to put in a crate if you have one and let them get there smell on it then put it with them, or if you dont mind letting them maybe run in the car then just bring a litter box and food and water if you have a car then i advise you to buy a dog thing that blocks them form jumping over the seat and put it in the middle so they cant get under your feet while you drving and if you have a van or suv i suggest still getting one and blocking off the trunk and letting them rome freely there i highly recomend car then airplane airplane is a bad idea and could cause alot more stress then a car hope that helps if any more further questions pm me