PDA

View Full Version : Cairn Terrier,Poodle ???

poofy
09-05-2005, 01:27 AM
Does anyone have one or a pic of one..Im looking to adopt
one but they didnt have a picture.
Also I was told that Shizus are mean and have a bad smell..I have never heardd this before..
But really would like information on the cairn Terrier poodle mix..thanks PJ

AllAmericanPUP
09-05-2005, 01:30 AM
ugh please dont get a designer mutt

Giselle
09-05-2005, 02:45 AM
Agreed, but at the same time...Poofy, I really think you've been conversating with the wrong people. Whoever told you Shih Tzus are nasty dogs need to get their head out of their butts. You can never label an entire breed as vicious. That's how BSL starts (BSL=BS ;)). Shih Tzus are extremely loving, doting companions who adore their owners. No dog should ever be naturally vicious and mean. If properly bred and raised, all dogs should be naturally loving towards their owners and tolerant, if not friendly, towards strangers. I hate when people label Toy dogs as yappy and nasty, too. They're not. They're made that way through unscrupulous breeders and even worse owners. If you're looking to adopt a dog, it doesn't really matter what mix they are as long as they can love you and you can love it. But I am curious as to why you'd want a Cairn Terrier/Poodle mix specifically? Whatever your case and whatever breed you hope to acquire, Go through the Shelter!!!

Vette
09-05-2005, 05:47 AM
I dont think they are a mean breed of dog. my mom had a Shih when i was growing up and he didnt have a mean bone in his body. however,, the breed does have a strange smell to them. i remeber my mom bathing her dog a lot and he still had a weird smell to him. would start to skin again less then a week later. the vet said its known in the breed to have a smell to them because of their skin oils.

Vette
09-05-2005, 05:51 AM
Heres a Carin/Poodle mix that i found

http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=156446&j=t&t=t

the only one though.

Pam
09-05-2005, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by AllAmericanPUP
ugh please dont get a designer mutt

I agree. Please go to a shelter for a mixed breed. Don't encourage breeding of *designer* dogs by buying one.

poofy
09-05-2005, 09:20 AM
But I am curious as to why you'd want a Cairn Terrier/Poodle mix specifically? Whatever your case and whatever breed you hope to acquire, Go through the Shelter!!

She is at a shelter..that is where i came across it. I was cking the shelters online and its at the Maricopa shelter. But they had no pic and only a vague discription.

The Shizu was at a shelter to and one of the comments was that the breed had a tendency to bite.. I hadnt read that before.. also I was told they had a bad odor from another souce..As for
desigern breed..lol..I thouht it was just a mixed breed like any other. I was going to get my daughter to go there and see her tuesday as she lives in Px and I have no car but am like an hour n half away..I dont know why the person labeled them as mean, and short tempered.I have never been around one and just wanted to know .I had never had any thing but that they were sweet before then..and then i read the part about the tempter and they bite , and another said they had a bad ordor that got wose as they got older and never went away. ???? So I thought id ask.. But yes I am going thu a shelter, she is about 1 year old , both of them..that is..thank u so much for the ans and am going to ck out the pic now...thanks so much..please let me know why some ones shizu would have a bad odor no matter how much it was bathed? thanks PJ

poofy
09-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Thanks vette, that is a real cute dog..

Also can i ask why they are called a designer breed?
Here is the pic vette found.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/lvpups/carinpoodle.jpg

sammy101
09-05-2005, 11:36 AM
She said she's looking to adopt one,so im guessing she looked at a rescues website,and they didnt have a picture up?I think she's just wondering what the mix looks like.
People breed 2 different breeds for some reason,i dont really understand why they would.You just pay $2000 for a mutt,when you get the same mix at the shelter for only $100.Shelter dogs are in more need of a home than a breeder,but please dont go to a breeder to buy this specific mix.
I dont now very much about poodles,cairn terriers or shihtzus.:o

poofy
09-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks Sammy101 that is it exactly..lol..want to adopt from the shelter..PJhttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/lvpups/b112.jpg

Giselle
09-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Ok, I see. Good for you!

Why are they called Designer mixes?

You know, I don't think anybody can really put their finger on how these mutts came to be called Designer mixes. The main point was that after the failed experiment of non-shedding guide dogs, the Labrador Retriever/Poodle mixes, unscrupulous breeders then saw their chance for $$$ and started breeding mixes, and gave them ridiculous names.

Why do Shih Tzus have a weird smell?

I don't have one, but I do have the breed that supposedly help build the Shih Tzu, a Pekingese. I think that the reason behind their odd smell stems from their thick double coat and skin oils, like your vet mentioned. However, a lot of how your dog smells comes from its diet, too. A dog on a high quality diet usually smells a lot nicer than a dog on Kibbles n' Bits.

poofy
09-05-2005, 05:26 PM
thanks, lol..what dog food general is best. I have my sammyj on benifical..I think that is how its spelt..but he wont eat any thing unless there is at least one weiner ground up in it..dont know why, but he wasnt fed right as a pup and and when i got him he only wanted table food, I dont feed him that, except for the weiner ground up in his regular dog food..hes a very good dog now that he has gotton over being as jumpy..but I have tried several brands and this seems to work ok..he eats it all..but only eats onece a day..I give him doggy vit bacon sticks as a treet .
Any way my daughter is going to see the shelter early tomorrow to see about the little girl and i have all my toes an fingers crossed n sammys paws, hopeing we get her..
I think this cross breeding on purpose is a shame to do it for money. But that is the way of the majoirty of the world, will do any thing for money, never mind the humanity of the thing..and we see how much humanity matters with the people in New Orlens, makes me sick to see such a disgrace to treat americans that way..thank you agian for telling me of the smell thing..lol..yes they do have very thick coats..

AllAmericanPUP
09-05-2005, 05:38 PM
sorry...shouldnt have assumed the worst

"designer breeds" are popping up everywhere, puppy mills and back yard breeders are sticking 2 breeds together, giving them a cute name and selling them for alot of money....seems people are popping out of the woodwork to get a cute lil fluffy designer mutt :rolleyes:

stay away from store bought brands(beneful, ol roy, iams, purina, pedigree, kibbles n bits, etc.)

some good brands are timberwolf, innova, wysong, merrick, chicken soup for the dog lover's soul, etc.

usually you can find the good brands at some pet stores(the small ones..not ones like petsmart) or your local feed store.

Giselle
09-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Yep, you'll find the best selection of dog foods at mom and pop stores.

If you can't find any of our recommended foods, try to look for a food that has
1) A specifically labeled meat as its first, and preferably, second ingredient. You DO want meat like "chicken", "turkey", "venison", etc. You DON'T want meat like "poultry", "meat", and the oh-so-generic "animal". Who knows what kind of filthy trash can be called "animal meat"? Ick!
2) Minimal amounts of corn, wheat, and soy. You also want to make sure that there are more meat products than grain products. I found a food that boasted they were the best and blah blah blah, but when I checked out the ingredients, they had two meat products and FIVE grains. That significantly outweighs the amount of meat that is in the food.
3) No BHA, BHT, propylene glycol, or ethoxyquin. All are potentially carcinogenic.
4) No by-products. By-products *can* include animal poop, and still be considered safe for dog consumption.

With this in mind, you should be able to find a decent food. Here are some greyt brands:
Wysong
Wellness
Innova/Innova EVO (I feed EVO and raw)
Pinnacle
Fromm
Solid Gold
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul
California Natural
Artemis
Blue Buffalo
Merrick
The list goes on and on. Have fun shopping and you might want to Google some of these brands. :)

poofy
09-05-2005, 05:49 PM
thats ok AllAmericanPUP I dont like the puppy mill thing either, I saw one pic of a pupppy mill mommy and that was enough for me , I wish they all could be stopped..will ck out the food brands you suggested at the small feed store down the road..
Its been very hard getting him to eat dog foods , wish hed decided this is what im getting and so i better eat it..lol..lol..
Hopefully i will get the little one tomorrow..(quite Yippie)..lol..

poofy
09-05-2005, 05:51 PM
thank you Giselle I copy n pasted that list and will save it..
thank so much for the info..
Hope to find something he will like

veegan
09-05-2005, 09:09 PM
shih tzus are awesome dogs, I see a lot of them at work. unlike most small breeds they tend to be very out going, not stand-offish and afraid, or snippy, and very playful, wiggly and sweet. they are the only small breed Id ever own. EDIT: is that a bichon you have? we see lots of them at work too, they are another small breed I like. for the same reasons as the shih tzu, they arent jumpy/snippy or afraid.

as for the odor, that is a slightly founded statement. they are a breed very prone to allergies, and shih tzus who have allergies are prone to yeast infections (more so than other breeds with allergies) and this is what gives them a bad odor. if their allergies are being treated though, the yeast infections with lessen. and of course once the yeast infection is treated the odor will go away.

poofy
09-05-2005, 09:30 PM
that was really interesting..thanks, I can see why a smell would get bad... and yes I think they are adorable dogs, but have never been around one, all the other people i know have big dogs..lol..
I love my sammyJ hes really a mutt..Bischon/shi zu..lol..he is the most lovable sweet adorable, and i could go on..lol..smart as a whip and really shows he loves me....lol...
Im so glad you told me about the shizus..so if that is being treated and the allergies are treated no bad smell..a lot of people dont know that I guess..A bischon is a very adorable dog, but i have to keep a close eye on him or he will jump in any car, or try to follow some one he likes off..I am trying to teach him not to do that but my daughter is one person he really loves to and she gets very upset when i correct him..and I said I wont have anohter dog taken by jumping in the car with someone..jsut because he likes car rides..its kinda frustrating..Im not to sure how to handle it she got really upset with me this evening.And i was really upset because he didnt come when i called..and that is the only time he has not come..But thank you for your post so much..glad to hear all that