PDA

View Full Version : From the Houston SPCA - Katrina

ParNone
09-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Since Sunday, the Houston SPCA has received more than 600 animal victims of Hurricane Katrina. On Sunday morning, we opened our doors to 263 canines and felines from the Louisiana SPCA. On Thursday, we accepted almost 400 animals from refugees at the Houston Astrodome and Reliant Arena. And, we anticipate hundreds more in the coming days and weeks.

We will continue to make space for the animals of our neighbors to the East. The Houston SPCA is offering free temporary board, shelter, and care to the pets of people streaming out of those states hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina. To make room for the anticipated flood of refugees, we are working with our dedicated adoption partners throughout the area, state, and United States to place our adoptable animals in other shelters. All owned animals will remain with the Housotn SPCA to offer a central place for their famialies to reclaim them.

People needing pet-related information are urged to call the Houston SPCA Hotline at 713-802-0555 from 9 am - 5 pm daily. Volunteers are standing by to take calls and assist pet owners.
The Houston SPCA will also provide free pet food to anyone needing assistance. Pet owners can come by the shelter at 900 Portway Drive, Houston, TX 77024. Pet owners must show photo identification.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A friend and I are going down there tomorrow with supplies to donate and we're going to see if they need anymore volunteers, with it being a holiday and all. They were doing okay volunteer wise on Saturday, when my friend called them about it. I'll report back tomorrow with news of what I see.

Par....

cyber-sibes
09-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Will keep you in my prayers, Par. Bless you for going and volunteering.

delidog
09-04-2005, 09:58 PM
Thats' the First Good news I've heard for these poor animals...Please Thank Yours and the other shelters...and of course Thank You for helping!!
Please keep us posted!!!

Daisy and Delilah
09-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks so much for helping!! God Bless You!!

Terry:)

lizbud
09-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Thank you for doing this.:) I wish you the very best Par.:)

Cataholic
09-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Way to go, Par!

moosmom
09-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Bless you Par!! And Bless the Houston SPCA!!!! I only wish that other shelters in other areas would follow suit!

Anita Cholaine
09-05-2005, 12:09 PM
It's great to know that there are still so many good people in the world...:)

ParNone
09-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Hey guys,

We went out to the shelter with supplies today. You've never seen so many people and donations. There's a major outpouring of love and concern for the animals, so not to worry everybody.

We asked about lending a hand right then, but they said we needed to fill out the online application and go through a Saturday orientation. They did say they needed fosters, so I'm gonna fill out the application and see if I get accepted to be a foster.

Amazing how they're taking people on the spot to volunteer for the folks evacuated to the Dome, Reliant Centers and George R. Brown convention center. Apparently you need more skill to work with pets then people.

Par...

sabies
09-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Thanks Par for being there and for filling us in. I watch the news and see dogs on rooftops and feel sick.

cyber-sibes
09-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Yes, the stories are heartbreaking. I can't imagine having to leave my furbabies behind. I wouldn't want to go if I couldn't take them with me. Good to hear that they are getting lots of volunteers to help out. Keep us posted...

Pam
09-05-2005, 08:53 PM
I have been waiting to read something encouraging like this! Thank you for posting it and thank you for all that you are willing to do! I saw a woman today who refused to leave her home because they wouldn't allow her to take her dog. :( :( I just don't understand that. If dogs are not allowed into the shelters with humans, why not take them to animal shelters. I guess it all seems so easy to those of us sitting here at home on the outside looking in.

Bless you Par and please keep us updated!