PDA

View Full Version : heartwrenching pets,, hurricane PLEASE DONATE!!!!!!!!!!

LorraineO
09-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Katrina victims anguished at leaving behind pets
Last Updated Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:21:09 EDT
CBC News
As Valerie Bennett was evacuated from Lindy Boggs Medical Center in New Orleans, her rescuers told her there was no room in the boat for her two dogs.

NEW ORLEANS - SEPTEMBER 03: Donnie Panarello Sr. (R) and Donnie Panarello Jr. (L) pull dogs Chance (2nd R) and Buddy down a flooded street as they evacuate the hard-hit Chalmette community of Saint Bernard's Parish September 3, 2005 in New Orleans. (Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)
She pleaded. "I offered him my wedding ring and my mom's wedding ring," the 34-year-old nurse said Saturday.

They wouldn't budge. She and her husband could bring only one item, and they already had a plastic tub containing the medicines her husband, a liver transplant recipient, needed to survive.

It's a scene that's been repeated over and over again during the past week: rescued pet owners, forced to leave their animals behind.

In an oft-repeated story reported last week by The Associated Press, a police officer took a dog from a little boy waiting to get on a bus leaving New Orleans. "Snowball! Snowball!" the boy cried until he vomited. The policeman told a reporter he didn't know what would happen to the dog.

Some at the medical centre, fearing their animals would starve without them, asked a doctor to euthanize them. He improvised a makeshift gas chamber by wrapping a dog kennel in plastic.

"The bigger dogs were fighting it. Fighting the gas. It took them longer. When I saw that, I said 'I can't do it,"' said Bennett's husband, Lorne.

The Bennetts ended up leaving their dogs with the anesthesiologist, who had promised to care for people's pets - about 30 in total - on the roof of the centre.

"He said he'd stay there as long as he possibly could," said Valerie Bennett, speaking from her husband's bedside at Atlanta's Emory University Hospital. She said that Saturday, he was still there, according to a posting on the PetFinder web site.

Louisiana State Treasurer John Kennedy, who was helping with relief efforts Saturday, said some hurricane victims were refusing to leave without their pets.

"One woman told me 'I've lost my house, my job, my car and I am not turning my dog loose to starve,"' Kennedy said.

He said he persuaded refugees to get on the bus by telling them he would have the animals taken to an exhibition centre.

The U.S. Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals picked up two cats and 15 dogs, including one Kennedy found tied up beneath the overpass next to an unopened can of dog food with a sign that read "Please take care of my dog, his name is Chucky."

The fate of pets is a huge but underappreciated cause of anguish for storm survivors, said Richard Garfield, professor of international clinical nursing at New York's Columbia University.

"People in shelters are worried about 'Did Fluffy get out?"' he said. "It's very distressing for people, wondering if their pets are isolated or starving."

The Bennetts had four animals, including two beloved dogs.

On Saturday, as Hurricane Katrina approached, both went to the hospital to help and took all four animals with them.

They fed their guinea pig and left it in its cage in a patient room. They couldn't refill its empty water bottle because the hospital's plumbing failed Sunday, they said. They poured food on the floor for the cat, but again no water.

"I just hope that they forgive me," Valerie Bennett cried.

LorraineO
09-05-2005, 09:23 AM
wow,,, doesnt anybody care that this is going on???

Pawsitive Thinking
09-05-2005, 10:48 AM
where are the donations going? you didn't say

Karen
09-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Calm down LorraineO - lots of Pet Talk people are donating their time, money, prayers and whatever they can to help the pets and people affected by Hurricane Katrina. There are many threads throughout the board talking about just that. Just because someone doesn't post in a thread that they are donating doesn't mean they have't, won't or don;t care.

This is a very caring community, look through some of the other threads.

dukedogsmom
09-05-2005, 11:33 AM
I've donated to Noah's Wish.

Daisy and Delilah
09-05-2005, 12:10 PM
I've donated to Noah's Wish, the Humane Society, and to the Red Cross. I'm still willing to help. I know how you feel Lorraine. I feel so desperate and helpless with all the help that's needed. It is killing me and many others because we can't do more. Thanks for caring so much.

Terry

LorraineO
09-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Daisy and Deliah,,, thanks for NOT telling me to calm down :) lol lol lol

Karen
09-05-2005, 05:46 PM
I told you to calm down because I felt your post saying "wow,,, doesnt anybody care that this is going on???" was over-the-top and accusatory, and that you hadn't read the various threads about what Pet Talk folk ARE doing.

Chica
09-05-2005, 07:37 PM
It is really sad about what has happened to the people and to their pets of the Katrina Hurricane!!!!

LorraineO
09-06-2005, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Karen
I told you to calm down because I felt your post saying "wow,,, doesnt anybody care that this is going on???" was over-the-top and accusatory, and that you hadn't read the various threads about what Pet Talk folk ARE doing.

Well maybe I ought to tell you to calm down..... I have read the other threads and I know that ppl are donating *I* started two threads on donating on here and on General.... I was simply surprised to see no one commented on seeing actual stories and experiences that anguished pet owners are having to go thru.... Having an idea and imagining the horror stories is one thing,, but to actually read a few specific exps and not get any posts on it did shock me....

Pawsitive Thinking
09-06-2005, 07:48 AM
Just donated to Noah's Wish - thanks for the link dukedogsmom ( a valuable input ;) )

dukedogsmom
09-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by LorraineO

In an oft-repeated story reported last week by The Associated Press, a police officer took a dog from a little boy waiting to get on a bus leaving New Orleans. "Snowball! Snowball!" the boy cried until he vomited. The policeman told a reporter he didn't know what would happen to the dog.

Here is Snowball being carried away :( This is just so wrong. It makes me so terribly sad.
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_16028976/Yahoo!+Photo+Album/snowball4t.jpg?bcroZHDBQD9e1pZq
Brody's MomThanks for donating! I'm hopefully going to be transporting some dogs here in central Florida. I really feel the need to get more involved other than just donating money.

dukedogsmom
09-06-2005, 11:47 AM
This is strange. Now, Noah's Wish website can't even be accessed. Wonder what is wrong?

Samantha Puppy
09-06-2005, 12:02 PM
I posted on another one of your threads about it - the first one, I believe - and said I had made a donation. I don't see the point in saying "Oh dear... I feel so horrible for these poor animals..." in every thread - the stories are heartbreaking but do not warrant repeat "so sad" comments from everyone...

I would take Karen's advice...

pitc9
09-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Lorraine, everyone is every bit as upset as you are about what is happening to the animals down there. All most of us can do is donate money, pray and cry. This is a time for all of us to join together and help out, not get upset at one another.
We all are here at PT because we care!

Albea
09-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by LorraineO
wow,,, doesnt anybody care that this is going on???

If I had to announce to the world every time I make a donation to an animal rescue organization, especially right now, I would spend on line much more time that I have available. And the reason why I have so little time is because I work for dog recue every day of the year.
Most of us care a lot, we just don't need to advertise it.

LorraineO
09-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Well this is nice,, getting flack for being upset and having the nerve to say so,,,, Cant ANYONE say cr*p without being given it???

I am sure ppl care here in PT,,, otherwise why be here... so yes,, I do know ppl care about the animals.. I wasnt asking for an announcement everytime one makes a donation,, but a response to the story itself would have been nice. I figured after 25 views,, it was quite odd.... THATS why I asked doesnt anyone care.

Samantha Puppy
09-06-2005, 02:57 PM
No one's giving you crap, we're just explaining our points of view.

If I want to read a sad Katrina/pet related article, I don't come here to do so - I'll go to any news website or pick up my local paper. I doubt I'm the only one who feels like that. And again, there are only so many times one can say "OMG, that is so sad... <tears> Those poor puppies/kitties/animals". BOTH of those reasons are why I didn't say anything in this thread.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I've read the stories, I've shed many a tear. Just because I didn't say anything here about this particular article doesn't mean I don't care.

elizabethann
09-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Can't access the Snowball picture. Does anybody know what happened to Snowball?

You know, I think a lot of things are going to change after Hurrican Katrina. May it be how the Government reacts, how the poor are treated in America, etc. But the one thing that needs to change is the fact that people should be able to evacuate their pets and bring them to a shelter. I heard of a shelter being sectioned off....elderly on one side, people with children on another. There is no reason why a section can't be cordoned off for people with pets. I just don't get it. I understand people have allergies, their afraid of animals or their just not animal people, but in a situation of life & death, animals should be able to go into shelters.

I wouldn't be able to function normally if I couldn't bring my pets with me to a shelter. First of all, I wouldn't leave them. But, if God forbid, I was separated by them or couldn't get to them, I would be heartbroken. I couldn't forgive myself. I'd be a basketcase the rest of my life. I'd probably need counseling to deal with it.

Those poor animals and those poor people. Just heartbreaking.

:( :( :( :( :(

K9soul
09-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Donated to Noah's Wish. I can't send a lot but will try to send a bit each paycheck for awhile.