PDA

View Full Version : New Puppy

MasonMom
09-04-2005, 01:09 PM
I just got a new puppy on Friday. He's a yellow lab mix (I think maybe some border collie). He is 8 weeks old. He spent most of his life outdoors. I took him to the vet Saturday morning for vaccinations, deworming, check-up and flea meds.

He is just adorable, but has very strange breath. I wouldn’t call it rotten, just odd smelling. Does this sounds like puppy breath, or could it be something else? Is this normal? I have another 11 week old puppy and don't want her to catch anything. The vet said just don't let her near the new puppy’s feces.

Thanks for any info you have!

dragondawg
09-04-2005, 03:28 PM
but it smells similar to sour burps? Yep that's "puppy breath. :D

Den Anne Pen
09-05-2005, 12:59 PM
I LOVE PUPPY BREATH not sure why but i love it :D

bckrazy
09-05-2005, 11:15 PM
This sounds very morbid, but puppies/dogs with Parvo have a distinctly strange scent. I would get him tested for Parvo ASAP, just to be safe! Puppies who spend a lot of time outdoors unvaccinated tend to get Parvo very easily.

meh.. besides that sad note, good luck with your pups! Raising 2 together is a tough job ~ I do not envy you!! Congrats on the new puppy, and good job rescuing him. If he is part Border Collie, be prepared for a high energy, demanding, and very loyal companion for life ;)

MasonMom
09-06-2005, 03:57 AM
How do you get a dog tested for parvo? The vet said there was no test and you just had to wait 3-5 days, which is the incubation period to know whether they had it or not. He doesn't seem to have any symptoms and we're coming up on day 5. Do you think we're safe yet?

HollywoodNVegas
09-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Hello. There absolutely is a test for parvo. Make sure they BOTH are tested immediately. Parvo can be fatal to young puppies and is easily contracted by another. Parvo can "hide" for a little while so even though you are at day 5, I would still have them checked - maybe consult another vet. Best wishes.

jesse_3
09-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Well, I would suggest getting a new vet ASAP to make sure its not Parvo, as everyone has said!

Good luck, and I hope that it is not Parvo!-
Steph and the gang

lv4dogs
09-07-2005, 12:16 PM
It could be puppy breath, but if it doesn't smell anyting like your other puppies breath I doubt it is.
Bad breath can be caused by a lot of reason, one being parvo. And like the others have said there is a test for it. I suggest bringing the dog to another vet for a second opinion.

And wow, 2 puppies at once! :eek: I bet your hands are full. I don't envy you one bit, I've got one & he's more than enough work for 5 people. lol

Good luck with your sweeties!