PDA

View Full Version : Senior Or Puppy

dane_mom
09-04-2005, 12:35 PM
If you were at a Great Dane rescue and you had the choice of getting a senior 7 year old merle great dane or a 7 week old puppy black dane, which one would you get?

luvofallhorses
09-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Well, the 7 week puppy is WAY to young to get, they shouldn't adopt out 7 week old puppies, it should be with it's mother for atleast a week longer. I would pick both, I love puppies and seniors. If you don't have the patience for a puppy, I say go for the senior, but like I said the 7 week old puppy should be with it's mother longer. I didn't vote though, I just am putting in my 2 cents.

kittycats_delight
09-04-2005, 12:54 PM
I would take the senior. It is much harder for the senior to get adopted and through a rescue you know that all will go to approved homes which means good homes. I would want to give the senior a chance at a happy life and not have to spend the rest of his time in a shelter. The puppy will be snatched up in a second whereas the senior will most likely sit in the shelter for quite some time if he ever gets adopted at all.

luvofallhorses
09-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by kittycats_delight
I would take the senior. It is much harder for the senior to get adopted and through a rescue you know that all will go to approved homes which means good homes. I would want to give the senior a chance at a happy life and not have to spend the rest of his time in a shelter. The puppy will be snatched up in a second whereas the senior will most likely sit in the shelter for quite some time if he ever gets adopted at all.

I agree 100%.

buttercup132
09-04-2005, 01:27 PM
i would take both:D

k9krazee
09-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Go for the senior....ditto everything kittycats_delight said :D

LexieLove
09-04-2005, 01:50 PM
i absolutely love puppies.. i have one,.. but they are so much work. and energy.. lol. I would much rather get the senior then the pup, .. just because i love calm gentle dogs

lute
09-04-2005, 02:14 PM
i voted senior. i would rather get a senior because they tend to have a harder time finding homes. also, if i'd never had a dane before it would be a good way to see if i'm ready for such a big dog in my household.

Lady's Human
09-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Both. (Hon, I'm Sorry, but I wanted the older dog and the puppy snuck out with him)

dab_20
09-04-2005, 03:15 PM
i would take both. :) i would feel bad for the poor 7 year old, cuz it's so hard for a adult to get adopted sometimes. it also depends on the situation.

AllAmericanPUP
09-04-2005, 03:37 PM
i would take the senior

we almost adopted a 10 year old black female about a year ago but someone adopted her before us:(

Suki Wingy
09-04-2005, 07:53 PM
If the senior fit us it would be MERLE all the way! (Because people like puppies.) the other way around and I would probably have to take the black senior before guilt killed me.

wolfie
09-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Senior. Now that Daphne is older, I see how wonderful older dogs are! I decided that I'm never going to adopt a puppy. Older dogs are the way to go!

BitsyNaceyDog
09-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Honestly I think you should take what better fits your lifestyle. If you work and if you'll have a hard time being home to care for a puppy then don't get the puppy. If you are a very active person and would enjoy a crazy puppy then go for the puppy. I love my older dogs dearly, but I have way more fun with my younger dogs, they are much more active and I like that. Older dogs are often still very active though.

Twisterdog
09-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by kittycats_delight

My thoughts exactly.

bckrazy
09-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Judging by what I've heard about how difficult Dane pups can be :) I would adopt the senior! 7 years old doesn't even seem 'senior' to me... I guess Danes don't live as long as smaller, healthier breeds ~ but Gonzo will be barely middle-aged at 7, so it seems perfect to me!

jesse_3
09-05-2005, 10:46 PM
I agree with the senior. They have a harder time getting into homes, and the puppy has a better chance at being adopted!

Steph and the gang:)

grybai
09-06-2005, 12:53 AM
I would take the senior. Personally I just don't have the energy for a puppy.

CathyBogart
09-06-2005, 02:33 AM
I would definitely go for the senior.

Kfamr
09-06-2005, 03:40 AM
Whichever one fit the lifestyle of myself and my current animals.

We have always adopted puppies due to the fact Simba likes them better. He's a lot more tolerant of a small obnoxious puppy than he is a large obnoxious dog. Simba is turning 8 this year and the girls (1 year and 2 years) keep him going.

When I'm too lazy to deal with a puppy in my future, I will more than likely be adopting adult dogs.