PDA

View Full Version : I was a bad pet dad...

Lady's Human
09-03-2005, 11:06 PM
I had to take Lady to the Vet yesterday to get her toes clipped. The fool has gotten to the point that she REFUSES to let anyone near her feet without a fight. Our vet in Mass refused to do it unless we sedated her first, so we just dealt with it and wrestled with her to get her tootsies taken care of. (time to find another vet) Since we moved out to NY and she has more room to run it hasn't been a problem, but her front nails were getting to the point where they REALLY needed trimming, so off to the vet we went.

While in the vet office, she tried to hide in the corner of the room, that didn't work, I picked her up, got her on the table, we got three out of four done, then somehow she got out of my control, broke the examining table, and got away. fix the table, back up, do the last foot......

Am I the only one with a dog the freaks when it's time to trim the tootsies?

Vette
09-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Whoa,, and i thought Kirby was bad when it came to getting his nails trimmed. he sits still for it without a fight,, but he screams like a retard with each nail. scares the crap out of me everytime. other then that he does good...LOL

Bigyummydog
09-03-2005, 11:31 PM
No, I think you don't have it way too bad. MAXIMUS put Dr. Moon almost THOUGH the wall. He's not a big guy. But, MAXIMUS sure put him in his place(on the floor, in the next room.) I'm lucky he wears his claws down when he does his running. I left him with a caretaker for only four days, while I looked for our new home. His nails got beyond what they ever were. My sister and her hubby(Ron) has proved to be able to ANYTHING to him. He loves her soooooo much. So, I will have her trim his nails. Most likely, we will never have to do it again. We have found a place for him to run. The only parts I have had to do were his "hooks", I guess you'd call them thumbs. Let us know how it goes.

K9karen
09-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Are you kidding? Touch the feet? What planet am I on? It's WW3! The week I adopted her, the vet tried to cut them. We tried pate liver in the muzzle to get that on, cookies, treats, NO WAY! Went home, at no charge. Next time, I sedated her, but she fought that, as sleepy as she was, so no can do. The 3rd time, sedation and a shot, so it was clip and file, but she was not a happy camper coming out from sedation. Last time, after a week of preparing, making it a fun game, we muzzled her at home. The vet cut while the tech held her head and she stared at me with those big dreamy brown eyes in horror. She was actually perfect. Not a peep. But she won't even let me touch her front paws at any time. She'll permit me to wipe her muddy back legs but it's torture (for me) to wipe the front. Since I haven't been able to walk her properly since my back surgery, and I got a fence, her nails don't file down as quickly. And they're black so I can't see the quik.

grybai
09-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Payson has no issues with the feet... however, every time I try to brush him he goes tearing across the room in fear, and refuses to get near me.

king2005
09-04-2005, 12:32 AM
We heard about dogs not liking their paws touched, so when Max was a pup, we grabbed & played with his & told him no when ever he bit us. since he was only a pup bitting didn't really hurt..

So nail trimming was never a chore.. I would gt the clippers & tell hum to lay on his side & clip away. then he'd get a belly rub & I'd get a nice slobbery kiss.

Cadeau wont let u clip or brush her.. cannot do anyhing with that dog, no walks, no hugs. maybe a kiss if ur lucky.. & she'll let u pat her back end & ears.. but thats it

jackie
09-04-2005, 05:43 AM
I only need to trim Tito's dew claws, but he freaks out too. I refuse to do it anymore, its too stressfull for him and me. Lucky he likes the vets, but he is a bit scared of them, so he doesn't put up as much of a fight with them.

k9krazee
09-04-2005, 08:36 AM
We have to take Shadow to the vet to get her nails done too. If we try to do it at home she will growl, snarl and carry on and it is just way to scary. She never used to act like this but within the last year shes become pretty touchy and growly. At the vets she is beautiful though, not a peep out of her and she will even tolerate being lifted on the table!

LKPike
09-04-2005, 08:43 AM
Frankie came from a "broken" home and hes got some nasty issues with his feet, including trimming. and monkey see monkey do, now Jillian has issues too - after seeing Frankie struggle with us and the clippers.

we tried all those remedies, pills, oils, scents everything thats supposed to make them drowsie or sleepy and nothing works

so we put him in his muzzle, hold him to the floor, and snip 'em it usually takes 3 people and 25 minutes to do this. I get Les to hold Jillian in a baby position to trim hers. She wont fight when shes up in the air.

cloverfdx
09-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Nope you are definitely not the only one. My Mums Penny (JRT x) is terrible, she has to be muzzled and have about 3 vet nurses help one another.

buttercup132
09-04-2005, 09:14 AM
maybe try taking him for walks on the side walk everyday to wear his nails down, i never have to clip my dogs nails they always stay short cuz they run on hard surfaces, also i saw on a dog training show about a dog that hated there nails being done also what they did was trim just one nail a day and after the one nail was done they gave a treat and eventually the dog let them do the whole foot without being a problem

beeniesmom
09-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Lady's Human
Am I the only one with a dog the freaks when it's time to trim the tootsies?

Absolutly not. My bosses dog Jax completely flips out too. You can't approach him with the trimmers that he starts to whine. We usually both have to hold him down and he still wins!

Karen
09-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by buttercup132
maybe try taking him for walks on the side walk everyday to wear his nails down

The don't have sidewalks in Barker, NY. The closest sidewalks are in "downtown" Whitney Point, several miles' drive away.

Poor abused Lady! ;)

dab_20
09-04-2005, 03:12 PM
my toy poodle mix pup gets really afraid when we cut her nails. she bites and whines, and yelps with each nail we cut. good thing she's tiny, or else we would have to take her to the vet.;)

gemini9961
09-04-2005, 03:12 PM
I have to take Sadie and Maggie to the vets to have their nails clipped. I refuse to fight with them anymore. I could do it when they were pups but now, NO. Sadie chews her nails so they don't get real long, guess she doesn't like them long so she chews on them. Maggie goes to the vet, she fights there too but not as bad as with me. She's so small it's hard to hold on to her. :( And Grant, well I am not sure yet as he has not had his nails clipped yet. We shall see. He let me brush his teeth though after having him only a couple of days. Maggie goes outside, but it's usually in the grass so they don't wear down as much.

cali
09-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Blair has gotten better and I can clip his front feet, but I cant even touch the back once much less clip his nails or his double dew claws! as I said he has gotten better and I can do his front paws now but before is was awaful, the vet gave us traquilzers do we could clip his claws, 2 pills later and they had NO effect, we needed a pillow, a thick blanket, and 3 people to clip even 6 of his nails before, we would have 2 people pin him down on a pillow, with a thick blanket covering everything but is paws, and the 3rd person would clip, this was still a difficult task. for for petes sake he is a 20lbs dog and 2 people had a heck of a time trying to keep him down lol

Luvin Labs
09-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Heh, Josh and I tried clipping his nails but it didnt' work, he'd freak! I tried getting him used to us touching his paws but he's still uncomfy with that so we take him to the groomers.

First time he went there, total was $6. No fussin or anything.

Second/third/fourth time, he was a dork, total $10 each time. Front paws he fussed a little bit, but not much so he was a gooboy. REAR paws, he fussed a lot, wiggled like crazy.

LOL The last time we had it done, it was the same lady who did his nails the first time ($6)... she said to him "when you come back, i want the dog that had the front paws, not the rear ones"... LOL

I like that lady