PDA

View Full Version : toothpaste

dab_20
09-03-2005, 12:17 PM
i have a 1 year old toy poodle mix pup and recently i got her a tooth brush kit. she has gotten an upset stomach from her tooth paste. the brand is VET Enzadent. can anyone suggest a tooth paste that wont give her an upset stomach??

VetDepot.com
09-06-2005, 04:25 PM
C.E.T. pet dental products are very popular (http://www.vetdepot.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=231) . They have several different brushes and toothpastes and I have never heard of any problems with them. They are reasonably priced too.

dab_20
09-06-2005, 04:53 PM
ok i have chews i use once a day that are made by C.E.T., so that should work. thanks!

Flatcoatluver
09-14-2005, 05:34 PM
also you should brush there teeth because dog can get a fast growing cancer if there teeth arn't brush, if your pup gets a upset stomach then you should just use the tooth brush followed with dog teeth chews, ONe of my dogs, died because of not brushing her teeth.

dab_20
09-14-2005, 05:37 PM
thats so sad. i am sorry :( so i shoulden't use tooth paste?

Flatcoatluver
09-14-2005, 07:22 PM
no you should, but you said it upset your dog's stomach

dab_20
09-14-2005, 07:47 PM
oh yah. well we will try a different type of toothpaste.

Flatcoatluver
09-14-2005, 10:59 PM
ok just remember because the cancer they get is very painful and fast growing so u need to start brushing tetth right away!

dab_20
09-15-2005, 07:53 AM
i know i have been brushing her teeth. someone suggested that i feed her before i brush her teeth so she wont get an upset stomach. it works, too. my baby is only a pup so we dont need to worry about cancer. and we will brush her tetth for the rest of her life.

Flatcoatluver
09-15-2005, 05:36 PM
yeah thats great because besides cancer, if you don't brush the dogs, teeth by two years old the dog will be very uncofarble eating beacause of the plague and other problems from not brushing dogs tetth

dab_20
09-15-2005, 05:46 PM
oic

Flatcoatluver
09-15-2005, 05:57 PM
yep

dab_20
09-15-2005, 07:29 PM
flatcoatluver, do you brush your dogs teeth?

Flatcoatluver
09-15-2005, 09:33 PM
of corse
i brush my cat's teeth too, they love it

dab_20
09-15-2005, 10:08 PM
my grandpa and step grandma brush all three of their cats teeth too. they have two 16 year old kitties. and one 1 year old.

Flatcoatluver
09-15-2005, 11:04 PM
yeah the first time i started brushing our kitty's teeth they hissed and growled and scratched and stuff, but then they got used to it. it so funny everytime i get the brush out my kitty will sit there and open her mounth

dab_20
09-16-2005, 07:50 AM
lol cute! my dog loves the tooth paste, and the first time i did it she didn't seem to mind.

Flatcoatluver
09-16-2005, 09:53 PM
aww my dog love it too! they go crazy when i get it out, but i'm glad your doggie dosn't have a upset stomach anymore,

Lady's Human
09-16-2005, 10:23 PM
After checking several vet sites on web, I can find NO articles linking canine oral cancer to not brushing teeth. Periodontal disease (Jst like us humans get) yes, but no links involving cancer.

Flatcoatluver
09-16-2005, 10:27 PM
well that's what our vet personaly told us, and some other vet's to. Tera died of jaw cancer from it, so i' not trying to be rude but i belive my vet, and beside's even if the vet is wrong, i'm not going to try to figure it out and go serching in tear's past, how tera died because it's to painful to think. Tear died from a fast growing jaw cancer, it rare but its true, I posted here to help people so they will not see there dog go threw the pain like i saw my dog go threw, she basically died right in front of my eyes

K9karen
09-17-2005, 12:29 AM
I missed this thread earlier, but it's so timely because I just bought Logan a toothbrush/toothpaste and finger scraper (for me). Although she eats a rawhide bone every night, has normal breath, I noticed that some of her teeth from the canines on towards the back of her mouth, had brown spots. She has a very narrow arch in her mouth, unlike Cody, whose mouth was wide. Logan let me use the scraper- I did it slowly while praising her- but didn't like the toothbrush (she tried to eat it) in her mouth except for the front teeth. I used beef flavored, non flouride toothpaste. I only did it for 5 minutes tonight to get her used to it so she wouldn't run when she sees it. How long did it take you guys to get your dogs adjusted to it? Logan isn't too keen on my playing with her mouth. She uses her paw to move my hand.

dab_20
09-17-2005, 03:13 PM
origanally posted by k9karen: How long did it take you guys to get your dogs adjusted to it?

It took my dog about a week and a half before she started to acctually like it. it really depends on the dog.

origanally posted by flatcoat lover: well that's what our vet personaly told us, and some other vet's to. Tera died of jaw cancer from it, so i' not trying to be rude but i belive my vet, and beside's even if the vet is wrong, i'm not going to try to figure it out and go serching in tear's past, how tera died because it's to painful to think. Tear died from a fast growing jaw cancer, it rare but its true, I posted here to help people so they will not see there dog go threw the pain like i saw my dog go threw, she basically died right in front of my eyes

That is so sad. :( i am so sorry. if someone says that they haven't found any information about cancer linking to not brushing teeth, and doesn't brush their dogs teeth. i would have to say to them that brushing teeth can only make their dog healthier! am i right?

Karen
09-17-2005, 06:05 PM
No one said they weren't gonna brush their dog's teeth!

It at least helps with the "dog breath" some doggers get, and like in people, leads to healtheir teeth and gums as well - all good things.

dab_20
09-17-2005, 06:31 PM
karen, i know no one said they weren't, i am talking hypothetically. lol

Flatcoatluver
09-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by dab_20

That is so sad. :( i am so sorry. if someone says that they haven't found any information about cancer linking to not brushing teeth, and doesn't brush their dogs teeth. i would have to say to them that brushing teeth can only make their dog healthier! am i right?
hey dab_20 your my hero!!! I love you ha ha ha , atleast you kinda unstand that i wasn't trying to be rude, I took my dog about a couple day but i was because she loved it, i used a no fluride, mint, they love it!

Flatcoatluver
09-17-2005, 06:35 PM
whoops sorry i acsidently posted another thing ha ha ha

dab_20
09-17-2005, 06:46 PM
origanally posted by flatcoat lover: hey dab_20 your my hero!!! I love you ha ha ha , atleast you kinda unstand that i wasn't trying to be rude, I took my dog about a couple day but i was because she loved it, i used a no fluride, mint, they love it!

lol thanks!:D yah i know you weren't trying to be rude, you were trying to save other doggy lives!!

Flatcoatluver
09-17-2005, 07:41 PM
thanks

dab_20
09-17-2005, 08:43 PM
yep. so anyone else brush their dogs teeth?

felinefuture
09-20-2005, 01:00 PM
If you want to see the tartar disappear, give your dog a raw bone to chew on, every other day, and you should see this problem disappear. Beef leg bones are a good choice, as they are big, and full of marrow - yummy!

Gayle

dab_20
09-20-2005, 03:54 PM
well i give her special chews, because raw hide gives molli digestive problems. i think because she is so tiny. it is basically the same as raw hide. it does as much good. but thanks for the suggestion!!