PDA

View Full Version : Weight problem

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-02-2005, 03:53 AM
When I was young, I was skinny, and I could eat anything I wanted. I was like this till I was 35. Then it all changed. At age 38, I managed to get rid of 12 kg, thanks to Weight Watchers. I reached 59 kg then. Now, 11 years later, I weigh.....85 kg :eek: :eek: . I've tried lots of things, but no help. I tried to use the books I still have from Weight Watchers, but no use.
A reason is that I am taking anti-depressant and I regularly get cortisone-injections. None of my clothes still fit, and next week I have to go to a marriage :eek:
You see, I really need help, as all that extra weight is bad for my back!!!!
In 5 minutes I have my first appointment with a diet-nurse. I hope she can give me a good diet.
Anyone else here with same problems? Any good and useful ideas? Please post!

poofy
09-02-2005, 04:10 AM
I to managed to keep my weight in ck with not much of a problem untill I was 48, I usually weighed about 125 up untill then, and that is when I started taking antidepressants, and gained a lot of weight. I have been on the anitdepressants for 10 years, they lower your metabolizm. Its really hard to lose weight when your takeing them, and if you take any benziodizapines(?) they also cause weight gain. I have went up to 206..sigh..am now at 192.. losing has not been easy. I lost almost 50 lbs about 4 years ago , but I was so strict on the diet, no fat and no sugars, that it put me in the hospital..so now im bent on losing slowly and steadly..and keeping on low fat, and staying off the sugar, and im slowly losing weight..and getting more excersise..I was so depressed I didnt leave my trailer for 2 years..and that is when i gained the most weight, and had a couple of light strokes and relized that i had to get out and walk or do something..its not easy , I dont have a car, and the desert is very hot..so I try to get people to take me places I can walk and I walk SammyJ as many times a day as I can , avoiding the hottest parts of the day, we even us a flashlight and talk walks at night..lol..only if the coyetyes are not around..lol..lol..its a battle and I just keep plugging at it..it is all I can do..

chocolatepuppy
09-02-2005, 05:20 AM
I had always been thin until I started getting older and piling on the pounds! Recently a cholesterol scare motivated me to lose 25 pounds. I try to stick to 2,000 calories a day and exercise regularly. I can't seem to get the scale to budge any further though. :( I could stand to lose another 25 pounds. That would at least put me down to thin. I won't give up though. ;)

jackie
09-02-2005, 05:45 AM
The best thing that you could do is walk, walk, walk and walk some more. Try to fit in at least one hour of walking a day.

Up the amount of fruit and veg you eat to 8 portions everyday.

2 liters of water a day. Stay away from soft drinks, even diet ones, they make you retain water like crazy!

Watch your portions. Every meal your meat serving should be the size and thinkness of your palm (of the size of a deck of cards), your carbs should be the size of your fist, and veg should be the size of two fists.

Good luck! Post your progress here! :D

sirrahbed
09-02-2005, 07:52 AM
Oh YES I can relate so well - though I have never been thin but always battling weight. I had lost quite a bit - down to 125 on Weight Watchers and managed to keep my weight around 140 for many adult years. I am 50 now and have gained 70 pounds in the past few years. It is distressing I know - I do have clothes to fit at home but nothing if I had to go to an event - so YES Lut, I do understand.

Between antidepressants, growing older and especially cortisone :eek: - your gain is very understandable. I am not one to give advice though because I am not able to lose either - but have just now started walking. I think Jackie's suggestions above are EXCELLENT and I am trying to follow this as well.

I have seen your pictures and you look very nice Lut - but I know that it all depends on how you feel compared to before:rolleyes:

Let's *stick together* and see if we can lose some of those pounds (or kilos!)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/smilies/hug2.gif

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed

I have seen your pictures and you look very nice Lut - but I know that it all depends on how you feel compared to before:rolleyes:

That is because I never post or even safe pics where you can see my belly....:( . It is really HUGE.I have been asked when my baby is due...:eek: . All the extra pounds are "blocked" on my corpse( and most on my belly), not on my legs and arms. My face is much "rounder" too now, but I don't mind about that;) . I feel really bad when I take something to put on, and then I discover in the bathroom that it doesn't fit anymore...:o . I also hate it to go shopping for clothes:( . hen even the largest size is to small, I get so disappointed!! Lots of shops even don't have my size :rolleyes:
Good news: I discovered a new shop in Ghent where the "smallest" size is 44 (that is 14 in the US) ! I need a size 17.....

But I agree, let's stick together! The person I saw today learned me a lot. She says it will be VERY hard to loose way, but it is worth a try, hey! Hey, did you know that grapes are full of sugar?? I didn't! My hubby won't like this: we have a wal full with ripe grapes, ready to eat right from the tree :( :(

caseysmom
09-02-2005, 10:37 AM
I have battled a few pounds here and there but after I had my kids it got really bad. I need to lose a lot of weight, I did really well on weight watchers a few years ago but gained most of it back.

Logan
09-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Good luck, Lut! It is a hard, hard thing to do. I'm dieting right now through a formalized program. I just let it creep up on me for too long and I'm ready to get it off and keep it off. In six weeks, I've lost about 14 pounds and am really beginning to be able to "feel" it in my clothes. That's always nice.

Best of luck to you!
Logan

poofy
09-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Im glad to know the battle is being fought on all fronts..lol..
I get so discoraged some times..but i dont give up. I just keep on the slow losing weight plan and its slow going but working for me without causing health problems and its a way i can continue eating for life. Not just a diet but a way of life.:) that was what i was looking for ..I not only have depression that i take medication for I have anxity attacks. I take clonazepam for those and I try to take the lest i can. The all slow down your metabo..and I have forgotton how to spell..:eek: ..I think its getting worse..:p I get overwhelmed very easy. And have to make sure that i dont depend on the pills to get me thru. I have done good, but would like to get off of the conazepam for good.
My one sister has gone on so many different diets and hits a spot always that that is as far as she can go. no mattter what she does..so keep hanging in there..I weare a 16, but did wear a almost a 20 so im thankful for what i have lost..http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/lvpups/HPIM0247.jpgthis was taken last year..of 7 of us and dad..I cant belive that is me..my sister beside me has lost down to that size and stays there so that is good..but shes stillnot happy about it..BUT
she was never thing to beginwith? so I think she is doing goog..my other 2 sisters stay around the same a bit up n down..but they are basicly doing good , im in worse shape than them all except for my bother dan, who has a weight pob to..even as hard as he works..

buckner
09-02-2005, 02:55 PM
I've battled weight all of my life. It's quite depressing sometimes, but once I get to an all time low, I decide to do something about it.

In 7th grade, I went on a diet with my dad and I lost about 30ish pounds. From then on until May of 2004, I weighed about the same weight (give or take 10lbs) which was 140. In fact, June of 2004, I weighed 135lbs - one of my all time lows. I was flabbergasted and SO happy. I had finally conquered my weight. A month later, in July of 2004, my grandfather died and I became very depressed... and when I'm depressed, I eat anything that doesn't crawl away from me. I always became a vegetarian in that time, so that may have contributed to my weight gain. Long story short, I gained TONS of weight. After a year of "getting over it" (not really over it, but I'm accepting it) I'm looking at my body and going "how could I have gained THAT much!?!". Yes, defintely suffering from my depression.

On August 8, 2005 I decided I was sick of the way I looked. I cut down to 1200 calories, eating ONLY when I was hungry. Eating lots of veggies, no meat of course, very little bread (I can't remember the last time I had a PIECE of bread), and just low calorie foods. I've found that if I drink more water (it's good for you!!) I will eat less and less. And eventually, my actual stomach was getting smaller so I was eating less at every meal. I weigh in every Monday morning, so in the past 3 weeks, I've lost 20lbs. Unfortunately, I've got SO much weight to go.

Tips? Exercise is the key. :) I had to give up my gym membership because my doctor doesn't want me doing extreme exercising because of my bad back, and said light exercise is what I should be doing. I was burning like 700 calories a day at the gym on days I did cardio. Just get your heart rate up - a brisk walk, a light jog, jumping jacks, jumping on a trampoline, etc etc. It all helps you in the end. :)

Good luck with the weight loss. I know how hard it is to loose weight that's just been building up after so long. It sounds like the diet-nurse helped you a lot! Share more with us about what she said!! :)

Rachel
09-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Well, count me in as part of this group. I could stand to lose 25 pounds for various health reasons and I have been trying for ages. I've lost 5 pounds already, but it has taken me months. Really I do believe it is the age factor more than anything, because I eat less, eat healthier and exercise more than I did when I was younger.

But we have to deal with where we are in life and just because it is harder, doesn't mean it can't be done. It just has to be more of a priority. I'm not going to give up, regardless of how slow the process is or how many times I have to revise my approach. (I may end up eating those words, but so be it.)

NoahsMommy
09-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Oh Lut!!! Reading your post is like reading about MY life!!

My whole life, I've been underweight because of the crohn's. Now, I'm gigantic!! I've never been like this and I hate it. I've gained about 45 pounds!!! :( :( :(

NONE of my clothes fit me. So I've had to go out and buy interview clothes. Not that I even have the $$ to do that, but its horribly depressing. Not even my bras fit me. :( :( :(

I gained all this weight because of the massive amounts of prednisone they've given me in the last 6 months. Its known to cause major weight gain...but they say you loose it right away. Yea, haven't seen that.

The other problem, is I'm on a very strict "low-residue" diet so that my body can heal from the surgery. This means I'm to eat highly-processed, easily digestable foods. NOT good for weight loss.

I'm also unable to do any sort of exercise, outside of slow walking to the mailbox or in the grocery store. I'm sleeping more because the meds make me so tired.

The first thing my GI says, "Have you lost any weight?" Yea, that really helps. :(

I feel for you. I hope this new diet makes you feel a ton better and that you lose the weight you want.

Hugs,
Kelly

cali
09-02-2005, 04:00 PM
I had this problem, well I was a twig until grade 7 when I started gaining weight, I was my biggest in grade 11 then over the summer before grade 12 I started to loose it again, finally I am thin again but I still have to watch what I eat. oh another thing whenever possable walk, I lost a lot of weight because I almost never set foot in a car, I either walk or ride my bike everywhere possable, I believe this is a huge part of it. another thing I tried that worked great it to eat something small every 3 hours, like every 3 hours eat an apple or a granola bar or something, that way your starvation mechnism never has the chance to start so your body will not hold the fat from your meals.

poofy
09-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Bras..oh my dont even go there..
I never had a boobs in my life till this last 10 years and i hate them..Use to be to dye for..:( ..goes to show , be careful what you ask for you may get it..sigh..Im moving into a bit bigger travel trailer and hopefully i can start sewing my own clothes again and get back some fun sewimg to..sigh..depressions is a bad factor in
weight gain..esp if your taking meds, I take Cymabalta now, it is much better than some of the others i have had. It acutlly lowers your appitiate.:eek: I was on one before that cause me to gain 75 pounds in like 2 mos..I have gained no weight on this..and it has curbed my appitiate..and the higher your dosage the less you want to eat..but i want to do the loseing on my own merits not on a pill..Hope this nurse will give some good pointers to losing n keeping the weight off..

Logan
09-02-2005, 04:49 PM
One thing that I am learning, Lut, and I will probably let this be the answer to your PM (just wanted you to know I got it), is that you need to keep food in your body at regular intervals. If I only ate when I was hungry, I wouldn't be eating very much. In fact, I'm eating more food now than I was before I started dieting. But I'm eating more of the right things, too. I don't eat after 8 pm at night if I can help it and I'm making myself eat breakfast, which I didn't normally do during the week Today and yesterday have been hard because I had a root canal yesterday afternoon and I am in a lot of pain and don't feel like chewing (also got very sick from the pain meds this morning).

Anyway, another big "no no" on the diet I am on is high levels of sodium. I have cut my Diet Coke consumption back to no more than 2 cans per day. I drank far more than that normally. I have always been a big water drinker, too, and I'm drinking even more now than I was (another big thing they push). You'd be astonished at what contains sodium. Fresh frozen fish and shrimp in the grocery store is high in sodium content! I had no idea. I bought Boca Burgers because I thought that would be good for us if we liked them. We loved them, but then I read the label! Vegetarian food contains huge amount of sodium! I read the labels on vegetarian cheese and other products and it is all that way.

We are eating chicken breast, lean beef like sirloin and tenderloin (which is quite expensive), plus ground turkey, and all kinds of fish and shellfish (as long as they are fresh). No pork! Scott bought a meat grinder to fit onto my Kitchen Aid mixer and we have been grinding our own chicken breasts and sirloin. The George Forman Grill has been used a lot as well as the grill! There are great seasonings available that do not contain salt, too, so I've been experimenting with those. And I use a lot of vegetable spray since I am very limited on how much oil/fat I can have (1 serving/day and I'm not going to blow it on a little cooking oil LOL!!). Everything is tracked in a diary and I get only so many of each of the food groups each day, but I need to use them all. My daughter is doing it too, and she gets to eat a lot more than I do as a result of her age and exercise (as well as the fact that she is not trying to lose nearly as much as I am). We weigh a lot of it on a food scale (especially the meat) and measure amount of our fruits and vegetables to make sure we don't exceed the quantities we are allowed.

This was an enormous decision for me. I've always fought against formal dieting because I don't like to fail and I always see lots of people get on a band wagon, talk about it all the time, then not follow through and gain all their weight back. I didn't want to be one of those people so I really had to be ready, and finally I was.

I'm trying to lose 48 pounds so I have quite a ways to go, but I feel confident that I can do it now that I'm into the program. I have high blood pressure and take medication daily. My doctor and I talked about it and although he had not ever said a word about my weight, I asked him if he thought I could come off of it if I lost the weight and he said there is a high chance that I will be able to. That's enough reason to do it! :)

I wish good luck to all of you. I know how good I'm going to feel when I'm done and it will have been worth every penny I have spent to get there. I'm sure!

Logan

dogzr#1
09-02-2005, 04:52 PM
Although I am still small these stories can relate to my mom. When she was in 8th grade she weighed around 80lbs. When she had me and my three older brothers she gain a little bit of weight but was still a pretty good size. (around a size 6) Then she went through a depretion while she and my dad were getting a divorce. she went down to about a size 3 or 4. Then she met my step dad Scott and is very happy and has gained 8 sizes. She is also fairly short. I think I might be like her, but then again I as tall as her. Well I am on a semi diet because I don't eat candy or drink any kind of soda. I am in 7th grade 5' 3'' tall and 78lbs. GOOD LUCK ON THE DIETS!! Start off slowly because if you go to fast you might gain some weight instead of loosing it. (I read that on the internet.)

jackie
09-02-2005, 04:56 PM
buckner,

I cut down to 1200 calories, eating ONLY when I was hungry. Eating lots of veggies, no meat of course, very little bread (I can't remember the last time I had a PIECE of bread), and just low calorie foods. I've found that if I drink more water (it's good for you!!) I will eat less and less. And eventually, my actual stomach was getting smaller so I was eating less at every meal. I weigh in every Monday morning, so in the past 3 weeks, I've lost 20lbs. Unfortunately, I've got SO much weight to go.

That is SO UNHEALTHY! :eek: You NEED at least 1700 calories a day, Bare minimum. Yes you will lose weight eating like that, but is it worth compromising your health???

Protein? Dairy? Maybe you just didn't mention it in your post, I hope you are eating a well balance diet. To lose 20lbs in three weeks is much, much, much too fast. When you go back to normal eating habits, if will be very hard to keep the weight off. You can mess up your metabolism FOR LIFE! Your brain needs fat to funtion, your body needs a certain amount of calories to fuction.

I used to crash diet all the time, and lived off of coffee. And I know the damage it can do on your body. Please try to lose weight a more healthy way. Ask your doctor for a diet plan, and follow it. You won't lose the pounds as fast, but you will keep them off, and be happier!

I am not trying to nag at you, i just want to open your eyes abit about how much damage you can do to your body. I am only 24 and I have messed up my body for life! Please be careful. :(

cyber-sibes
09-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Ladies, I work in a very nice women's clothing store for sizes 14-26. Let me tell you, you are not alone! We have customers who have tried all kinds of things, many of them have had bariatric surgery - they do loose weight fast, but the risks and complications are so high! The ones who seem to keep the weight off are the women who 1. Eat less than they used to (still the same foods, though) and 2. Walk.
I'm still about 45 lbs overweight, too. Been on anti-depressents for 10 years. The new shrink says that Walking is the best thing to do for depression - he says it actually burns off the chemicals that make you feel depressed. And of course walking is a good way to exercise if you're like me, over 50 and not terribly active. Don't you just hate how our metabolisms changed? :rolleyes:
Anyway, sorry this is so long, strive for making progress a little at a time.

buckner
09-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by jackie
buckner,

That is SO UNHEALTHY! :eek: You NEED at least 1700 calories a day, Bare minimum. Yes you will lose weight eating like that, but is it worth compromising your health???

Protein? Dairy? Maybe you just didn't mention it in your post, I hope you are eating a well balance diet. To lose 20lbs in three weeks is much, much, much too fast. When you go back to normal eating habits, if will be very hard to keep the weight off. You can mess up your metabolism FOR LIFE! Your brain needs fat to funtion, your body needs a certain amount of calories to fuction.

I used to crash diet all the time, and lived off of coffee. And I know the damage it can do on your body. Please try to lose weight a more healthy way. Ask your doctor for a diet plan, and follow it. You won't lose the pounds as fast, but you will keep them off, and be happier!

I am not trying to nag at you, i just want to open your eyes abit about how much damage you can do to your body. I am only 24 and I have messed up my body for life! Please be careful. :( Thanks for the concern, but I've already talked to my doctor about it. When you're extremely overweight, weight can fall off of you at first. When I stick to a diet, I can lose weight very quickly - it's not having the right food that gets me. She said not to go under 1200 calories a day or it WOULD be unhealthy. However, I am eating about every 3-4 hours, small things to eat.

Yes, I do get my protein and dairy. I eat a bowl of cereal (I measure both the cereal and the milk out, too) with milk - 1 cup of cereal and 1/2 cup of milk. Usually every other day for lunch, I have yogurt with my meal. I'm also allergic to dairy products, so I do have to be careful about how much dairy I eat. And I'm a vegetarian - I get my protein in through nuts and beans. :)

I don't call this crash dieting. I maintained my weight for about 3 years, and then I went through a tragic experience. I didn't know that I ate when I got depressed. Now I know, so it won't happen like that again. :) Once I lose this weight, I know I can maintain it - I did it before.

Oh, and my doctor is very happy with my weight loss. She said it's not too fast at all, considering my original weight and how good I am eating. :)

poofy
09-02-2005, 06:44 PM
I lost 50 lbs in 2 mos 6 years ago.., and gained it back faster than i lost it..i have lost 26 in 3 mos and its still off..so I need to stay on the slow go plan..lol,,and its very slow going for me..each to their own..they younger you are the easier it is I have been told, so its goinf to be harder for me..

jackie
09-02-2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the concern, but I've already talked to my doctor about it. When you're extremely overweight, weight can fall off of you at first. When I stick to a diet, I can lose weight very quickly - it's not having the right food that gets me. She said not to go under 1200 calories a day or it WOULD be unhealthy. However, I am eating about every 3-4 hours, small things to eat

Ok hon, just stay safe. :)

poofy
09-02-2005, 08:57 PM
sorry one time i said 4 years and another time 6 years it was about 4 years ago..time is swift transition..cant remeber what happened when, also part of my big weight gain afte i lost the 50 lbs is I quit smoking..all in one day..no withdraws or nothing, just got down n prayerd and got up and belived..I had smoked for 36 years and was smoking as many as 4 packs a day as i wasnt sleeping much at all. I havent wante done since. Thank god, weight gain is a good trade off for that, but i know i will lose the weight, i will be smaller when i die by hook or cook..lol..lol..want a small burial dress..lol..lol..lol.

poofy
09-02-2005, 09:31 PM
I drink a pure soybean powder with no additaves for a boost to my protien. And keep evey thing low fat. and completly stay off sugars, and its still slow going because I dont get enough excersise ,I know that is a lot of my prob, when it cools off I will be able to get out and walk more..
are nuts fattinging??

NoahsMommy
09-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by buckner
I'm also allergic to dairy products, so I do have to be careful about how much dairy I eat.
If by allergic, you mean "lactose intolerant"...you can eat hard cheeses, like parmasan and cheddar. :)

I learned that when they though what I had was lactose intollerance.

On the gaining weight fast issue...ME TOO!! I gained all this weight in a month!!! :(

I've been doing really great today. I'm learning what types of fruits I'm able to have...applesauce, bananas, melon...and it doesn't hurt, yet.

Good luck everyone! I hope everyone does well. :)

Hugs, Kelly

K9karen
09-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Oh My! Up until about 2 years ago, the main question out of my mouth was "Do I look fat?" I seemed to be the only one in my family with a weight problem. It was dreadful. The oddest thing was that when i went through the -eh- "change" I started losing weight. When both my parents got sick etc, and I was under unbeliveable stress, I actually lost my appetite, almost completely. I love food but just lost the desire to eat all the time. I lost about 18 pounds this year and went from around 130 to 112-114. I've had a check up and I'm fine. I eat only when I'm hungry, which I guess isn't great, but I half a sandwich for example, and smaller portions of anything else. I eat tons of veggies and fruit. I got my "thin" wish, unfortunately, not in a good way.
Kelly, I feel for you. That prednisone is nasty stuff. My mother was always itty bitty, around 90 pounds but when she started prednisone, she ballooned up to around 120. Before she passed, she did weigh around 112 but the prednisone really made her look bloated and she was miserable. It takes a while for it to leave your body, so I think you will lose the weight, especially once your diet changes when you recover. Prednisone helps so much but does so much damage. It's a Catch 22 drug. I know my mom begged the doctors to discontinue it but they couldn't. I indirectly know how you feel. You'll be much better in time.

buckner
09-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
If by allergic, you mean "lactose intolerant"...you can eat hard cheeses, like parmasan and cheddar. :) I'm not lactose intolerant.

When I was born, my eustacian tubes (I feel bad for not remembering how to spell this) were not fully developed. We weren't aware of WHAT it was until I was about 2 years old. Up until this time, my mom kept telling my doctor something was wrong with my ears. I always had ear infections and ALWAYS crying about it and I couldn't hear thunder. I literally was deaf - but it wasn't permanant, thank God. I went to my now ENT who took 10 seconds looking at me play in the playroom and went "it's not as bad as you think". He got me all cleared up, tubes put in. I think after the 3rd set of tubes (permanant ones this time) I was still having chronic ear infections and we couldn't get medicine to work. This is when my ENT said it was a food allergy, as the regular allergy test didn't show anything. He put me off dairy for about 6 months, and everything cleared up. No ear infections, nothing. To this day, if I eat a lot of cheese or a lot of some other kind of dairy, I have an ear infection and regret it fully.

KYS
09-03-2005, 10:25 AM
I have had the yo yo syndrome since 1994.
I am a comfort eater. :(
Changing my eating habits is not easy.

I will say, the best diet for me is:

Not to feel DEPRIVED!
If I have that slice of cake or bowl of ice-cream,
I have it, take a smaller amount and cut something
else out.
I try not to over-eat, taking smaller portions
of carbs, meat, fish, poultry and more portions of veggies.
I try not to eat past 6:00 p.m.
I stopped hitting the snack machines at work.
I try not to set my goals to high and am happy
if I loose 1 pound a week.
It's better than gaining.
If I go off the wagon one day, I don't beat myself up
and start over the next.

Walking is great.

I am still waiting for someone to invent that diet pill
or shot that you can eat what-ever you want
and not gain weight. :D

Harmanie
09-03-2005, 10:51 AM
I have always had a problem with my weight. Even when I wasn't so and so called (pardon the expression) "fat" I am a foster child and I live with my aunt and uncle. But before that I was bounced aroung from home to home. I was constantly told I was over weight and so I was always trying to loos it. At the same time I was always over eating because I was so unhappy hearing it all of the time. Now that I live with my "real" family...I don't hear it as much, so I am much happier. But I do have two aunts who are always telling me constantly..."Katie...watch what you eat...Katie...you were doing fine for a while, what happend?" I know that they are just trying to be nice, But I just don't like to hear it. I get depressed and then I gain more weight. Right now I weigh 176. Wich I am unhappy with. I do work out (ocasionally) but not consistantly. I know I should try harder but I don't have a great support system working with me. What should I do??

poofy
09-03-2005, 12:34 PM
I hate that when people harp on your weight..my grandaughters other grandmother told her she is getting fat..She is 12 5 feet 5 inches and is tall and slim..where is this fat..I dont want her getting a complex, so I told her to ignor it, that granma was cranky cause she ate her cookies..lol..lol..a person can get a complex so easlily, my x was always telling me I was fat..wouldnt allow me to feel comfortable to eat, so I ate at night when no one was around and then threw it up.. bad years of that..then i got rid of him 22 years ago and fought the battle for a long time and finnay got over binging..and was able to keep my weight at a good size, but always scared of gaining weight, now im 192 and not scared of it, and not throeing up food i do eat..but trying to do it normally..I never gained weight till I took the antidepressant , but i was always afraid to eat.. but im not afraid of eating now..and I try to do it right..and not let any one hurt my feelings..Its my body if they dont like it..fine withme..I am losing and will continue to do so..the lord willing i will be 150 by next summer. Yippie, cant wait, I will be able to find some clothes that i can wear..lol..lol..

poofy
09-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Im sorry , you wanted a support system, let us bolster u up..
let us know how much your walking or working out..
swim excersice is great. Keep us informed of your progress and we will be behind you all the way. You can do it. You already feel the need and dont need to be pressured , you can do this and keep up with it, Keep us informed on how your doing.and what food s your eating..Go for it..

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Great replies!! Thanks!!
Just one BIG problem here: I KNOW that walking is the best, but due to the weakness in my legs, I CANNOT walk more than 50m, and NOT uphill (I block totally then:( ).

I really did my best today! Haven't touched sweets at all, and drank a lot :) . Oh my, I hope I can hold on, as the evenings are the worst for me :rolleyes:

luvofallhorses
09-03-2005, 01:00 PM
I know how you feel, Lut. When I was younger(I'm still young but I mean like 12-17) I had a high metabolism but the doctors experimented with the right medicine for my depression and my metabolism went downhill. I could eat huge meals and not gain a pound. I'd give ANYTHING to get my high metabolism back. If I didn't suffer from stupid depression, I'd still have my high metabolism. Sometimes life isn't fair.

Also,

exercising will help and having a good diet. (I need to have a good diet but I am addicted to junk food :rolleyes: )

Logan
09-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Lut, I am lucky in that I am not an evening craver. Many of my friends report that they are hungry in the evenings, craving ice cream, deserts, etc. I haven't had that problem. I have never had that problem, though.

I think that if we stick together, we can make this work. I do not exercise the way I should. If I would simply walk my dogs every day, it would help. I'm losing, but how much more could I lose if I exercised more? How much could those "brown dogs" (as Scott calls them) lose? LOL!!!

Logan

poofy
09-03-2005, 09:01 PM
(If I didn't suffer from stupid depression, I'd still have my high metabolism. Sometimes life isn't fair.)

I have lost some of my weight just walking sammyJ, and i have been doing it for longer times. And the new anitdepressant helps, i have more energy than i use to have on the other meds. so hopefully we all can get going more, I know i want to..

Uabassoon
09-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by cyber-sibes
The ones who seem to keep the weight off are the women who 1. Eat less than they used to (still the same foods, though) and 2. Walk.

This is true! I lost nearly 50 lbs in about 6 months simply by eating less. I followed weight watchers, but the idea is the same. I still ate all my normal foods, I will admit to adding some healthier meals to my diet, but I ate less. I still ate my ice cream, I just measured out a proper serving instead of sitting in front of the tv with the carton. Since I still ate what I wanted I didn't really crave anything which kept me from binge eating. It's been nearly 6 months now and I've been able to maintain my weight with no problem because I've learned how to eat smaller portions and I don't miss anything.

king2005
09-03-2005, 10:02 PM
5yrs ago I was 120p. I was under weight & quite ill (had a tummy problem & couldn't eat much). Then I was put on meds for my tummy to get better & now I'm up to 160p :eek:

I like being 140p. I feel great & can do anything. I started going to the gym & mostly built muscle, which was nice, but it didn't help my gut or butt.

I also wasn't feeling so great. I wasn't eating breakfast cause there is none. So I bought Rexal's Slim Assist. I'm not using it to loose weight. I'm using to for a meal replacement. Alot of times I'll have it for lunch too.

I feel healthier & have more energy, but I still weigh the same. When I move into my new home I plan make lots of home made meal (so no more partly uncooked greasy means *BARF* I'm not the one that makes it & I get home to late to make it).

I use to eat a can of green beans to myself a day. I was so healthy on that can.. mmm mmm mmm.. now I'm lucky if I get a can of veggies in a 2 month span..

I plan to put Rob on a diet too. I plan on making all his lunches so he has NO choice but to eat healthy.. He needs to loose 100p. poor guy has been on crap food all his life.. his younger bro is much worse.. but looks like he'll be moving in with us in several months, so I plan to get 200p off of him.

Lots of veggies is the way to go & ungreasy meats.

poofy
09-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Your right lots of veggies, but got to have that protien, i didnt and ended up in the hospital..not happy at all..
and walking got to do more walking..Im tired all the walking is getting me tired..have to pack now and get stuff out so can move the other traier in, so i think ill sleep on it..whew so tired..night

moosmom
09-04-2005, 06:04 PM
I have the same problem. After my 30's, my metabolism slowed WAY down, although I was never skinny to begin with.

I went to Jenny Craig and dropped 49 lbs. and looked great!!! But the minutes I stopped eating THEIR food, the weight came back. Then I had a hysterectomy and am going through Memopause. Such fun...NOT! My weight continued to climb. I am now at the most weight I've ever been at and to say I am embarassed is an understatement. When I tell people what I weigh (I don't go announcing it) they look at me and say I carry it well. I wish I felt that way!!!

I went to Weight Watchers with my best friend and my daughter a few years back. I lost about 30 lbs (this was BEFORE my hysterectomy). My daughter dropped 45 pounds and has kept it off for over 5 years. I also still have the books, the little chart thingy and stuff. But it's difficult to stay on a diet when you're all by yourself. At least with my daughter and friend Susie, we had each other as a support group.

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-16-2005, 06:59 AM
How is everybody doing?? My first week was bad, as I gained weight :eek: . But as I was sick this week, I lost nearly 3 kg!! I know it is not the good way, but I am happy anyway ;)

Logan
09-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Lut, I am happy to report that I am down 18 pounds after 7 1/2 weeks. Still a long way to go, but at least, I'm 1/4 of the way there. Helen is down, too, and she weighs in one time/week. Her last one had her down a total of 8, I think. Her exercise and weight lifting have a huge affect on her diet, for sure. But we will be measured again on Saturday. I think we will both be happy.

Logan

slleipnir
09-16-2005, 11:42 AM
I want to lose weight too...10-15 lbs would be great..but all I seem to do is gain :( It almost seems impossible for me

Desert Arabian
09-16-2005, 02:06 PM
I know all about battling weight too, I have a very sad, painful past when it comes to weight. For about 4 years I delt with depression and to cope I would sit on the couch and eat until my zipper was about to bust. I could easily polish of an entire bag of doritos in about an hour while watching TV. I am only 5 feet tall, which made it even worse. At the peak of my depression I weighed in at 155 pounds (remember, I'm only 5 feet tall), after reading those numbers on the scale it made me EVEN MORE depressed. The summer of 2000 my parents sent me to the horse camp I now work at as a camper for 4 weeks. The camp changed me forever (for the good). It changed my viewpoint on my life, my self-esteem, etc. When I came back from camp I had lost about 35 pounds! I lost all that weight because I was forced to eat 3 healthy balanced meals a day and my snacks were limited (only 2 candy bars a day allowed). The physical demand I put on my body was intense, I was not used to the hard labor- caring for 52 horses is more than hard. When I got back home I stuck to a healthier diet (not ideal, but better) and I tried to work out as much as possible, nowhere near as intense, bike rides, walks, swimming, etc. Today the depression is gone, the weight is in control and I couldn't be any happier. The last time I weighed myself (couple of days ago) I was 117 pounds. So all together, I have lost about 40 pounds, give or take. The only bag thing about the dramatic weight loss is stretch marks, I have some on my hips and near my breasts. :( They are not extremely visable, but I can see them and that is what bugs me- if only I could get rid of those! Much rather have the stretch marks than the fat that gave them to me!

If you are trying to loose weight, the number one rule is start off slow, do not pile a huge task on yourself- make a reachable goal. Do not wake up one day and say "I am going to walk 6 miles a day", before you even start you will give up! Instead just walk a couple of blocks every other day, slowly and steadily build up the exercise to a manageable, reasonable amount- so you do not give up! Exercise is more important than watching what you eat if you ask me. I need to make some improvements in my eating habits but I am not complaining with the results. Right now my goal is tightening up my tummy, I have some bulge that I would like to get rid of, hehe. :p