PDA

View Full Version : Question about money orders.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-01-2005, 05:40 PM
I sort of know what they are... but do you have to be a certain age to get one?

If anyone can fill me in on how to send a money order, it'd be appreciated! :)

wolf_Q
09-01-2005, 05:47 PM
I don't think you have to be a certain age, I know I've bought money orders for several years. I've purchased some at Smiths grocery store (cheaper) but now I only get postal money orders. The reason is that if they get lost when sending them to somebody postal money orders are a lot cheaper to get your money back.....I had a $60 money order from smiths get lost in the mail and it cost me over $12 to get my money back, where the postal ones would just be a couple of dollars I believe.

To get the postal ones just go to your local USPS post office and ask for a money order. You tell them the exact amount you want it for and give them the cash for that amount. They'll print it out (it does cost some for a MO but it's not that much) and you fill out the to/from information. It's better than a check because it doesn't have to clear first (If you are sending a check for payment at a business they will have to make sure the check clears before they will send you the product).

joycenalex
09-01-2005, 05:48 PM
you can buy money orders at many places, gas stations, banks, grocery stores, so check around for prices, banks are usually the most expensive. i've bought them for 19 cents, but the usual price seems to be 49 to 99 cents. you give the clerk your money and the fee, they process the money order with the written amount on the form and it's just like a check. you write the name of the payee on it and send it to them. as far as i know there is no age limits. don't lose it, once it's gone it's gone (ahem, i know this from personal experence:o :mad: :o )

DJFyrewolf36
09-01-2005, 06:38 PM
At the post office, you don't need to be a cirtian age to get a money order. The post office here charges something like 45 cents for money orders up to $500 and then its $1.25 after that. Make sure though, you write who you're paying on the money order, otherwise anyone can go cash it! Its pretty much like carrying cash unless something is written on it.