PDA

View Full Version : english pointer dog

hughesca
09-01-2005, 04:11 AM
Hi just to let you all know that I have taken splash to the vet re lumps in his neck, and very bad new he has a mass/tumour there, still awaiting some results back, but not too hopeful

lv4dogs
09-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Welcome! I hope all is well with your Splash.

I LOVE english pointers, I was VERY close to getting one but had trouble finding a reputable breeder in my area so I went with an Aussie. Hopefully someday I'll have an English pointer in my family!

Can you post some pics of him???? PLEASE!

dragondawg
09-01-2005, 07:32 PM
it's Lymphoma. If it is then come back and we'll discuss the options. Some treatments are offering remissions up to 2+ yrs.

Another possibility is Leptospirosis. But if the mass is large then that possibility is small.

The needle aspirate should yield a diagnosis.

Flatcoatluver
09-01-2005, 10:12 PM
good luck post results when you find out!

dragondawg
09-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Per some info I've already sent to hughesca, this might be of benefit to others if they ever have the misfortune of having their puppy dog come down with Lymphoma.

Lymphoma is a cancer that probably has one of the best response rates to Chemotherapy in our dogs. The options for the owner are:

1. Do nothing. The dog will die in 4-6 weeks, and it may not be an easy death.

2. Treat pallatively with Prednisone. This yields a remission of 30-60 days, and is relatively cheap. When the cancer comes back the dog will usually succumb quickly with minimal suffering. However Prednisone is a one way street. Once it's used alone without any other Chemo agents for 2 weeks, the cancer will become resistant to multiple Chemo drugs. This is referred to as Multiple Drug Resistance (MDR). The point is that you can't treat with just Prednisone and then change your mind and try treating with Chemo drugs later on. Chances are it will not work.

3. Treat with the protocol COP (Cytoxin, Vincristine, Prednisone). This protocol will give you about a 3-6 month remission.

4. Treat with a multiple drug protocol that includes Doxorubicin, and Elspar. Examples include LCOPA (which my Daisy received), and the Madison-Wisc protocol. These protocols yield remissions of 9-12 months.

5. Number 4 plus half body radiation as the dog has entered remission. If I had known about it, I would have given it to my Daisy, as remissions are ranging in the 1.5-2.0 + yr range.

The point is that Chemotherapy is a viable option for Lymphoma puppies. The hardest part for the owner is getting over the emotional trauma of the diagnosis.

lv4dogs
09-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Any updates yet? Hope everything is ok.

hughesca
09-08-2005, 04:13 AM
Hi, Iam the bearer of bad news , my lovely precious boy had to be put to sleep last sat the cancer had taken over rapidly. Extremely sad time and missing him badly

sammy101
09-08-2005, 05:18 PM
im so sorry:( Its tough to loose a pet like that.
{{{hugs}}}

Flatcoatluver
09-08-2005, 05:33 PM
omg i'm so sorry it is so hard (hugs)

lv4dogs
09-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Oh my goodess, I just saw this. I am so very sorry for your loss. {Hugs} that has to be so hard.

labrado_retriever123
10-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Good Luck with Splash