PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering - I'm a little nervous

JenBKR
08-31-2005, 12:52 PM
I have decided to volunteer as a counselor at a sexual and domestic abuse center to decide if counseling is what I want to do. It can also be used a a grad school internship. Anyway, I start training in about two weeks. I'm a little nervous, because I have heard it can get pretty intense...it's a lot of dealing with victims in the hospital right after being attacked and working in a shelter. I am going to start out just answering the hotline though. I really hope I can handle this...

One bad thing, I have to go to training classes twice a week for 10-11 weeks, and one night will be Mondays - which is when Roscoe was going to go to obedience school :( So now I have to call around and see if another place can fit him in. I have looked into several local places, and they are all full, and I don't really want to wait. I'm left a message for Petsmart, we'll see :)

lvpets2002
08-31-2005, 12:56 PM
:) Oh Jen thats great & I know your nervous but you will get adjusted to it & will be like second nature.. Hey if you just help one person it will be so rewarding.. Hope you find a new behavor school to take Roscoe I bet you will.. Good Luck..

furrykidsmother
08-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Volunteering will certainly give you a good taste and help you decide if you want to make a career out of counseling. I am sure you will be just fine, it is normal to be nervous when you are uncertain about something new.

I hope things work out for you and Roscoe.

beeniesmom
08-31-2005, 01:59 PM
You are such a wonderful person to do this.
I am sure you can handle it. It will be difficult but well worth it.

JenBKR
09-01-2005, 07:20 AM
Aww, thanks guys, that's so sweet. I sure hope I can get through it! I agree, it will be worth it if I can help just one person. Thanks for the vote of confidence! :)

luvofallhorses
09-01-2005, 11:10 AM
I know it won't be easy for you to do this, but it's a wonderful thing for you to be doing!! :) ((hugs)) Try not to be nervous, I know it's easier said than done and I hope you can squeeze Roscoe into obdience classes that will fit your schedule. Good luck!! :) My thoughts and prayers are with you.

JenBKR
09-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Thank you luvofallhorses! I can certainly use the hugs, prayers, and good thoughts! :)

Ginger's Mom
09-01-2005, 12:00 PM
How wonderful of you to want to help these people at such a difficult time in their lives. I think you will find it very rewarding. I am sure that you will do just fine. Good luck to you, and please keep us updated on the process.

JenBKR
09-01-2005, 02:06 PM
I hope it is rewarding. I know it will be difficult (especially at first) but this will certainly tell me if I want to be a counselor! I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks! :D