PDA

View Full Version : Boomer's coming home :)

Sirrahsim
08-30-2005, 10:53 PM
I figured that I'd start a new thread with the excellent news. Thanks to the generosity of several PT'ers and my Mom who is going to be giving him a home in the states, Boomer is coming to Ohio!! This morning has been a whirlwind of activity as I've had to call here there and everywhere to iron out the details. I'll be going to buy him a kennel this week (the one we have is too small for international travel) and we'll plan on shipping him on or around the 14th or so. I'm so excited and feel like I'm floating on air :D Thank you to everyone for your prayers and support. I knew this morning when I saw him snuggled up next to Tyler that I could never let him go:D

Karen
08-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Yay! Yay! Yay!

Glad Boomer will remain a part of the family.

jazzcat
08-30-2005, 10:58 PM
YAHOOOOO!!!!! That is terrific news Missy!!!!

Wow, there are so many wonderful and generous people here on PT!!! Bless you all!!!

Uabassoon
08-30-2005, 10:58 PM
This is great news! I'm so happy you are able to keep Boomer :)

krazyaboutkatz
08-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Yippee!!! This is wonderful news!!!:D

Glacier
08-30-2005, 11:16 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Yah!

shais_mom
08-31-2005, 12:16 AM
This is the best news I have heard today!!
:)
yeaaa!

manda_moo87
08-31-2005, 12:22 AM
I'm so glad to here this Missy... :D

kuhio98
08-31-2005, 12:26 AM
Yay! Great news! I'm sure that Boomer will do fine on the trip. It shouldn't take him long to fit in with Uncle Dylan and the gang. :D

AmberLee
08-31-2005, 02:14 AM
What WONDERFUL news!!!

Craftlady
08-31-2005, 04:46 AM
Great news :)

jenluckenbach
08-31-2005, 05:17 AM
Missy, I just got done reading all about the hassles in your other thread. But I could not be happier to find out that the arrangements are getting ironed out.

I am sure you know, but make sure the carrier is airline approved. Get several layers of absorbant "puppy pads" for the bottom of the crate. TAPE them firmly to the bottom of the cage or he'll just end up bundling them in a corner. They have "airline travel kits" available that have cage dishes in them. That might be required (it was for Sweet Annie). Also look into a STURDY water bottle. It can be fastened to the outside of the door and will supply water if the dish runs dry (which it probably will). I fastened it in such a way that if it were to leak it would drip into the water dish.

Good luck!!

catnapper
08-31-2005, 05:46 AM
Yippie!!!! I'm doing a happy dance for you!

PT works another miracle!

Sirrahsim
08-31-2005, 06:22 AM
:D :D :D
Thanks Jen, I'll look into that. The pet section at our store is tiny, but I should be able to get puppy pads and stuff :)

CalliesMom
08-31-2005, 06:41 AM
:) :) :) :) I'm so happy for you and Boomer!!

smokey the elder
08-31-2005, 07:51 AM
WOW!! How awesome is that!

furrykidsmother
08-31-2005, 08:13 AM
WOW!!!:D :D :D That is wonderful news!!

rkidsrcats
08-31-2005, 09:01 AM
We've followed the Boomer threads all along, hoping that some way would be found to keep him with family.

Here's good wishes for a safe trip and an eary WELCOME HOME BOOMER from the Tribe of 5!

K & L
08-31-2005, 09:05 AM
This is just too exciting!! I'm so happy for all of you!

DogLover9501
08-31-2005, 09:09 AM
Great news! :D

Boomer is so sweet, I bet the Sirrah kitties will love him in no time and we'll have snuggle pictures ;)

Cataholic
08-31-2005, 09:23 AM
Thank GOD!!!! What wonderful news, Missy.

catlover4ever
08-31-2005, 09:28 AM
Oh Missy, that is such wonderful news. I'm so happy for you and for Boomer.

christa
08-31-2005, 09:41 AM
YAY Missy! That is fantastic news! I've been so worried about how you were dealing with all this, I know that keeping Boomer in the family will be less stressful for you.

Have a safe trip, Boomer!

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-31-2005, 09:54 AM
This is such wonderful news, Missy!! Now Boomer can stay with his own meowmie and get spoiled by 2 human moms (you and Debbie):D . And Boomer doesn't have to say goodbye to his skin-brother Tyler!!
YIPPIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sasvermont
08-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Please let us know where we can send a little donation to help offset the cost. I feel a tad guilty about all of us urging you to send him to Ohio. A "PM" with an address would be great!

SAS

I'm so happy right now!

moosmom
08-31-2005, 10:11 AM
WOOHOO!!!!!!

Tyler and Boomer can grow up together!!!! I'm so happy, I'm in tears!!!!

Missy, I'm so happy for you!

kitten645
08-31-2005, 10:21 AM
This makes me happier than I could say. My bday was yesterday and I must say that sweet Boomer's saga (yet to start) makes me so happy I could spit (as my bestfriend from Atlanta is prone to say.LOL) I will post my own moving story in another post. Best wishes to you all. Kisses and headbuts from me and my boys.
Claudia

catmandu
08-31-2005, 10:34 AM
THAT IS THE BEST POSSIBLE NEWS,THAT BOOMER,IS STAYING,IN THE FAMILY.
AND MUNCHKIN,AND SMOKE ANGELS,WILL BE THERE,IN THE CARRIER,COMFORTING,BOOMER,ON HIS LONG JOURNEY HOME.
ALL,THE FOUND CATS,STARRYS,AND ANGELS HAVE SMILES,ON THIER FACES!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture701.jpg

slleipnir
08-31-2005, 12:26 PM
That is awesome news!!! Congrats!!! You must be soo happy :)

momcat
08-31-2005, 12:30 PM
HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!!! BOOMER IS COMING HOME!!!!!

prechrswife
08-31-2005, 12:34 PM
That is great news!!:D

Samantha Puppy
08-31-2005, 12:46 PM
That's awesome!! I wish I could've been one of the PTers to have helped him monetarily, but with December quickly arriving every extra penny we have is going to preparing for our own baby's arrival. Boomer has been in my thoughts and prayers though, if that means anything. :) I'm really happy for you - I know you've got to be SO relieved.

((((((((((((((BIG HUG))))))))))))))

DJFyrewolf36
08-31-2005, 12:48 PM
Oh how wonderful!!! Boomer is such a sweet guy, I'm glad you can take him with you!

Donnaj4962
08-31-2005, 02:03 PM
I posted this in another thread, but will post here again... how can I help monetarily? Please let me know. Thanks. Donna

sirrahbed
08-31-2005, 02:12 PM
Well THIS is a happy group of posters!!:D

I am letting myself think positive agaian now as it seems to be coming together. Each time we were excited before - something bad kept happening to make the trip seem impossible. The communication barrier is the biggest obstacle I think - you can read this from all of Phred's conversations. The final word Missy had last month from Japan - was NO pets shipped from Japan to US unless it was in cargo (true) and accompanied (wrong). The people here told me it was possible but I got a different story each time. We still don't have the bottom line but I am betting Phred will get to it.;)

So - what I am reading here - saounds like Boomer will be here the week before Missy and Carol come. That is good as it will give him some time to settle in here. Yes, I bet Uncle Dylan will welcome him :)

Gotta go - am babysitting right now and while Misha is napping - I want to get in a spare closet and try to find the source of a new odor of cat pee:o :rolleyes: There have been no peeing cats since the last geriatric 3-4 years ago and we have new carpet down - about a year old now so I am going to try and get to the source before the whole crew decides they have a new catbox. ARGH!!

But about Boomer....:D :D

Shady
08-31-2005, 02:33 PM
To reiterate another thread..

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87428&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

If we can help bring Boomer home, lot's of us are willing to chip in for the cause. :D

Just say when and how.

sandragonfly
08-31-2005, 03:06 PM
all of cats are dancing joyily! :D

missy, this is why your flyers didn't work!! thank goodness. :cool:

now next, we hope for the flight confirmation & a safe trip for both of you!! yipee.

headbumplees & pawhugs
..furrfelines from one true ark! :)

orangemm
08-31-2005, 03:48 PM
This is such great news for all of you, esp. Boomer!

Yay for Boomer!!!

I'll be glad to help out, too, meager tho' it might be. I want Boomer to come home, too!

NoahsMommy
08-31-2005, 04:00 PM
YAY!!! :)

I'll be praying for some easier way for this to happen...come on airplane companies (and Japan)...get with it!!

Sirrahsim
08-31-2005, 05:11 PM
any donations would have to go to my Mom's address, so I'll have to check with her before giving out her addy :) I greatly apprecicate everyone's generosity. I (or she) will get back to you :)

orangemm
08-31-2005, 05:17 PM
You can PM me with the address and to whom we should make out the check.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Yippy!!! I'm so excited for you and Tyler!
I'd love to help out too. Please PM me with an address too.

Sirrahsim
08-31-2005, 09:02 PM
PM's have been sent. Let me know if I forgot you :)

rkidsrcats
08-31-2005, 10:45 PM
The Tribe and my company - Cat5 Design - want to contribute to the Boomer Come Home fund too.
Please PM an address. We'll do what we can!

momcat
09-01-2005, 12:10 PM
How absolutely wonderful!!! Please pm me about how I can help???

sirrahbed
09-02-2005, 08:18 AM
oh my:D Thank you sooo much to all of you who have offered Missy help with this cost - I want to cry here. I feel happy to know how much PT'ers love Boomer and have been wanting him to come to America. It is looking like Boomer will stay a PT cat now!!

Phred has been SOOO helpful with all of his calls to Continental and I have made the same calls here, too. What we have FINALLY learned is that Nippon Express does the freight handling of animals for the Tokyo airtport. I do not believe they give people any other option though the language barrier gives us conflicting reports very often. All three of us (Missy, Phred and myself) were given the Nipon Express number by Continental Pet Desk.

I found the flights Boomer will be on. Japan to USA 13 hours, 2 hour layover and then a 3 hour flight - that is 18 hours. Oh I know this will be a long time plus drive time - but it is only once and then no more flying for him. The day for him will be long when we add on drive time to the airport and waiting to be "boarded". He will be in the carrier most all day that he leaves because he has to be there in the morning and his flight leaves late afternoon. The actual drive to Tokyo can be very long too - as long as 6 hours depending on traffic. Hopefully ti will be much shorter.

But, I know kitties can nap all day so it won't be comfortable for him but he will likely sleep most of the time I think. There will be a tracking number for us to see where he is at any time and a 24 hour Pet transport number to call.

Missy found a large gerbil water feeder plus the carrier has two food dishes and will do as Jen suggested for putting the water over a dish so it will catch any drips. Good idea:) She bought puppy pads to put down for Boomer to lay on.

I am sure she will welcome any other suggestions! I will keep everyone updated about the plans and progress OK? Lots of PT prayers can help him I know:) I think he leaves on the 14th or 15th- waiting for confirmation on that.

I would also love to have any suggestions as to what to do when Boomer gets here. I know he will be stressed and I want to do everything I can to give him a calm place to rest - thinking I will keep him first in the room where Missy will stay??? Then, he can be sniffed under the door and all?? Should I let him out of his container as soon as we get home? I feel like my crew is very friendly - nobody is aggressive.:rolleyes: Everyone is happy. It will be interesting to know how Boomer will react - he has never even SEEN another cat!! I am wondering what my cats will think and who will befriend him. I am guessing that Uncle Dylan will be the first to welcome him. Maybe he will be buddies with my loner kitty Eliot?? Soooo any suggestions welcome!!

Craftlady
09-02-2005, 09:44 AM
I would keep him in same room Missy will be staying. I would put carrier/container in the room. Open the container, let him come out when he is ready.
Have a litterbox and all in there with him.
I would think in a day he will be ready to explore.
I've done both ways to introduce. Behind closed doors and just let them out. If I just let them out, they went into a secure place when I left the house.
Eleanor and Cindy were last two do just be let out.
You'll know what to do :)

sirrahbed
09-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks Becky - I also think you are right that the room Missy will stay in is good because he can retreat there if he wants and also - my cats don't go in there very much at all. Also yes, leaving the cage in there so he can exit when he chooses is a good thought.

I have played it by ear with previous cats and it has always worked with no problems. Well.... hissing, airplane ears and spitting aren't really *problems* :rolleyes:

Mainly - I am wondering because Boomer will likely be very stressed from the long trip - I am going to try one of those Feliway Plug-ins for him. I want to try anything I can to help him relax. He is very skittish and I have never really taken care of a really stressed kitty like that - and do not really have any idea what to expect of a kitty who has been flying, etc. Then again - we have taken in mostly kitties shelters - many who have been in that tiny cage for who know how long so it is probably similar. And, Boomer likes me for some reason :D He did not even treat me like a stranger when I went there in June.:D

Thanks again!

Craftlady
09-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Your welcome Debbie.
Another idea just came to mind. Put something of your daughters in the cage (clothing, something she wore that has her scent) that way he will be calmed on the long journey.
Wonder if you all can put one of those fenways in the carrier for the trip? Does it work alone or with electric (as a plug in)?

sirrahbed
09-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Becky - the feliway is a bottle of liquid in a gadget like oil-airfreshers that actually go into an outlet. I saw it in cans also - to spray in an area - but I can't mail her an aerosol. Probably would not get there in time anyway. But, I will put the plugin in that bedroom shortly before Boomer gets here.

Missy - something of yours in his carrier sounds great! Tee-shirt?? Maybe a favorite toy also??

Sirrahsim
09-02-2005, 05:31 PM
I was planning on putting my pillowcase in there the day that he leaves:) I'm afraid if I put one of his little Hartz mice in there he would decapitate it and choke on the stuffing...