PDA

View Full Version : pup buries things with nose, not paws

ttsousa
08-30-2005, 02:05 PM
My 8-month-old pup Elvis will dig holes for fun of it but this is not the way to bury his treats. Instead, he uses his nose to push dirt or leaves over his treats to cover them rather than digging a hole to bury them. Although he will dig a hole just for fun of it though. Today after using his usual method of covering treat, he dug a hole playing with my 6-yr-old son who then took the treat & put it in the hole Elvis had dug. Immediately, rather than do it the easy way with paws, he began to cover it up with his nose. Inside the house, he will use his nose as well to push his treats between cushions or push up cushions with nose, then back down. If he buries treats between cushions & part is showing, he will pull sofa blanket off back of sofa, then use his nose to push it over his hiding spot to fully cover his treat. I have never seen a dog do it this way before. It's always been the paw method to dig a hole, then cover, but never the nose. Maybe it's part of the whole mystery of what exact breeds he has in him. The humane society made guess of shepherd mix possibly with husky or lab--there's a big range between the two breeds there.:rolleyes:

beeniesmom
08-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Welcome to PT!
Your dog sounds cute and funny!
You absolutly have to post some pics of him!

elizabethann
08-30-2005, 02:11 PM
How cute! My terrier mutt, Fenway, does that too! Not sure why. But it is funny to watch!

k9krazee
08-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Welcome to PT!!! Elvis sounds adorable, Do you have pictures of your boy? We LOVE pictures here!! My 2 Jack Russells (Mini and Kyra) do the same thing!

lv4dogs
08-30-2005, 02:20 PM
Welcome!

My dog, raustyk does that too. :D

PJ's Mom
08-30-2005, 02:23 PM
Bailey does that too. She'll try to buy her greenie under speaker wire. :rolleyes: Your puppy sounds adorable. :)

kittycats_delight
08-30-2005, 02:24 PM
My RB Shadow (Akita) always used to do that. He would come back in from being out in the garden with either a mound of dirt on his nose or a mound of snow depending on the time of year. I think he though he was a cat. He would always try to bury his business. LOL

jackie
08-30-2005, 02:37 PM
I think its so cute when dogs do that! My dog used to try and hide things in corners, and used to sit there for ages trying to bury it. LOL

Anita Cholaine
08-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Welcome to PT!!:) Elvis must be so adorable!!! His name is also really cute...

ttsousa
08-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Here's some pics of my big baby Elvis. I don't think I could love him any more than I already do if I had given birth to him myself. Also, here's link to his page at our website but it needs to be updated with more recent photos--God knows I have plenty of 'em. My kitty Cody Cat also has page with link at bottom of Elvis page.
Teresahttp://sousa3.homestead.com/pets.html

ps: can't figure out how to attach photos here.

Husky_mom
08-30-2005, 03:53 PM
he looks like a shepherd/chow, or perhaps akita , amyway hes lovely

cyber-sibes
08-30-2005, 06:57 PM
He's adorable! My siberians bury things with their noses, too. It's really cute - I try to hide & watch them, they won't do it if I'm just standing there.