PDA

View Full Version : Hair help - is my makeover hopeless?

sirrahbed
08-30-2005, 11:27 AM
:rolleyes: I think I am hopeless. In April, I had my long hair cut to chin length and nice foilhighlights added. I came home all glamorous..:p
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/Family/mom2005blondie.jpg
But, the hair in my face drives me nuts and this is how I ended up wearing it - pulled back with a frumpy headband...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/Family/colorcut2005april.jpg
I am going back in today to get a haircut and more highlights and this is how I look again...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/Family/Deb2005.jpg
Headband always!! I LOVE how it looks part way in my face and think I look nice that way - but HOW can I get used to it? Is there a product that isn't too stiff that will help hold it? Mousse? Spray? What? Do I just have to get used to it?? My hair is babyfine and I have to wash it everyday. Am I hopeless?? I am not ready to go to anything too short - have always had LONG hair and am trying to look my age (well sort of:rolleyes: ) I took several years to grow bangs out to all one length...but am considering bangs again. Never really liked them though.
HELP!!:eek:

PS: My 51st birthday is coming in a few weeks and maybe I am feeling old? I really want to try and look like I am not out of the American Gothic painting:rolleyes:

caseysmom
08-30-2005, 11:32 AM
I cannot live without bangs, I tried to grow them out and couldn't stand it.

I think bangs accent the eyes. How about a good hairspray? I like big sexy hair spray and play....spray some of that on and your hair won't go anywhere.

sirrahbed
08-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by caseysmom
I cannot live without bangs, I tried to grow them out and couldn't stand it.

I think bangs accent the eyes. How about a good hairspray? I like big sexy hair spray and play....spray some of that on and your hair won't go anywhere.

I will welcome any suggestions....but part of my problem I think is that I am an aging hippie generation. Long hair is all I have known and I have never gotten used to any products in my hair - I have always wanted it clean and moving yanow?? I will try some different sprays maybe - I also liked bangs but having such fine hair, well that takes off a big percentage of my hair!! hmmm....I did have lots of bangs though - maybe I can have her cut me just a small layer of bangs....THANKS!!
Oh and here is 2003 when I still had the bangs..
Was I really THAT much younger only two years ago?? I look younger here i think :rolleyes:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/Family/Mom2003.jpg

beeniesmom
08-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Hey!
If you are always tying it up, cut it short like I did. :)
You could try registering at:

www.morphases.com and changing your hair color, length in the photo before actually cutting it.

PS: you look cute in the first photo.

caseysmom
08-30-2005, 11:56 AM
I like the first photo too, it is sexy and sophisticated. Try just a bit of hairspray on that style.

shais_mom
08-30-2005, 12:32 PM
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip3908.htm

I am thinking of Reba's hairstyle for you or
Allison Mack's.

Soledad
08-30-2005, 01:47 PM
That first photo is super sexy! I think bangs are a bit dated, and you should ask your stylist for a better way to keep your hair in place.

jenluckenbach
08-30-2005, 03:32 PM
I understand 100%! My hair is your style, chin length bob, no bangs and I can NOT stand it touching my forehead no matter how good it looks. ALWAYS in a headband, rubber band or barrette. Which is probably why I don't think your hair looks bad with the headband. Sure, it looked good in that first photo, mine looks pretty good like that too, but it gives me headahes and drives me to distraction, so how glamourous is that?? Hair spray would not keep it off my face, I would need glue. So I just buy and use the headbands and other hair accesories and like it.

finn's mom
08-30-2005, 03:38 PM
I think you look better without the bangs, but, that was a lot of bangs you had in that photo. Bangs can be either really outdated or ridiculously hot on the right face and cut the right way. Bangs cut a certain way are great looking. I know what you mean about the hair in the face thing, I have a hard time not tucking mine behind my ears...I try really hard though because I know how much better it looks when I leave it alone. ;)

sirrahbed
08-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks everyone - for the comments and suggestions in all THREE threads - I read everything and ran out for my appointment. I have pretty much the same cut as in April when I first made the *big change*;) My stylist talked me OUT of bangs and I am glad as they took soooo long to grow out and are more trouble than I am willing to take. I had highlight put in but they are not as light blonde as last time - she used a "light honey brown" so I have three colors and it looks more natural plus grows out nicely and I am lazy!! Thanks again for helping me decide!! Oh and here I am:p
Just home and looking all glamorous again...see the new colors?? There is my natural light brown, some pale blonde and the newest "honey" color she put in with foil.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/Family/aug05.jpg
Hair in my face lasted about a half hour and in went the headband!! So - I will hunt for some cute new handbands to wear - I like them really thin and have some that look like necklaces with beads, etc.

caseysmom
08-30-2005, 05:14 PM
I have been watching for pictures! It looks really cute! I don't see anything wrong with some cute headbands.

What did hubby say?

kittycats_delight
08-30-2005, 05:21 PM
You can get some really pretty headbands at the accessory stores like Ardene's. There are metal ones with like beads, stones and flowers on them. And in all kinds of colors and all you see it the stones and things. Really cute and very versatile too. :)

I like the color and I am glad you didn't go with the bangs. You look really good without them. And I always find that if you need to get an updo done for a wedding or something the nicest ones are the ones without bangs. :)

finn's mom
08-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Great color!

sirrahbed
08-30-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by caseysmom
What did hubby say?

He likes it longer and he likes bangs - but he said it looks nice and he likes it :) What is it with men and LONG hair??

caseysmom
08-30-2005, 05:30 PM
I dont' know, my hair is pretty long, I am 44 so I am not sure how long (no pun intended) I can get away with it this long.

My husband always tells me its my hair wear it how I want, it is actually easier for me long like this, I have wispy bangs in the front. I will get brave and post a picture sometime.

carole
08-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Debbie first I want to compliment you on how good you look for nearly 51 years old, secondly do you use a body shampoo and conditioner, ?that really does help with fine hair.

The highlights are very pretty, personally I think headbands do nothing for an older woman, now that is just MO,so please don't get upset with me for saying so, I know a few of you like them, and I think they are fine when you are around home, but not for going out purposes, again that is simply my opinion, I would stay well away from them, I am like you, have never had really short hair, I keep mine about shoulder length and have it layer cut, but I have wavey-curly hair, it is also quite fine, but a reasonable amount of it, although as one ages it seems to disappear somewhat:eek: I find washing my hair daily an absolute must and a pain , but using the body shampoo etc really does help give it body.

I would love a new hairdo, but it took me years to cut my waist length hair and finally in my mid thirties I did it, I have had the same hairstyle since though lol, and probably will from now on.

furrykidsmother
08-31-2005, 09:37 AM
I think it looks really nice. I do like the highlights!

DogLover9501
08-31-2005, 10:12 AM
Debbie, you look beautiful in all the pictures and I love the honey color!

I would never guess that you are anywhere near 51 years old!

lv4dogs
08-31-2005, 10:56 AM
I love it!

slleipnir
08-31-2005, 11:09 AM
My hair is ALWAYS in a ponytail. I hate it doing whatever it wants, so I put it back out of the way!! I know how you feel!