PDA

View Full Version : I hate to do this...

DJFyrewolf36
08-29-2005, 05:37 PM
But Onyx unfortuneatly has to go. He's decided to like chewing through electrical cords, and with as much computer equipment as we have sitting in our house he could REALLY hurt himself! No ammount of discipline seems to be helping either. He's already zapped himself once, luckily with something low power but it didnt phase him any. He's also scratching at the walls, and making a genral pest of himself. I can't have my place destroyed. I'm going to make sure he goes to the no-kill shelter or to a foster who is better equipped and has a kitten proofed house

:( I couldn't leave him outside, but I can't loose thousands of dollars (and concequently my second job) by having him destroy my equipment. I hope you guys don't look down on me for this but in three days he's already cost me quite a bit in replacement cords/parts. I had hoped that maybe the other two would help him learn not to be so darned destructive, but I guess not.

I'm gone at work all day, and my husband isn't home most of the time. I don't want to come home to an electrocuted kitty, I'd feel awful. I tried locking him in the bathroom yesterday...I now have a nice chew/claw hole in the wall :rolleyes:

He needs a better home. :(

jackie
08-29-2005, 05:42 PM
That must be a hard decision to make. :(

DJFyrewolf36
08-29-2005, 05:49 PM
It is...I really hate abandoning the little guy :(. I am making sure he does go to a good place though, where he will be adopted by someone who will love him and hopefully help him outgrow his destructive behavior.

I just don't want to see him get hurt. :(

prechrswife
08-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Sometimes the best decisions are the most difficult ones to make.:(

NoahsMommy
08-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Awww....I"m sorry, hun. That has to be so hard for you.

I'm sure he'll find a great home though. Don't worry too much...he's adorable. :)

(((hugs)))

krazyaboutkatz
08-29-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that things didn't work out.:( I'm sure that it won't take long before he'll get adopted because he sure is cute.:)

catmandu
08-29-2005, 08:37 PM
THAT WAS A TOUGH DECISION,BUT AS YOU SAY,YOUDONT WANT A CAT,THAT WILL BE ELECTROCUTED,OR SERIOUSLY BURN,HIS MOUTH.
I JUST HOPE,THAT THAT LITTLE ONE,CAN FIND,THE RIGHT PLACE,FOR HIS FURR EVER HOME!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/garywatercolor.jpg

DJFyrewolf36
08-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Sigh...

I can't do it...not yet anyhow. It seems as if he listens to ME of all people...and he is getting the hint. I'm giving him up until this weekend. If I know he can be here with just my roomate...I'll keep him.

The no kill said though that they would take him if he didn't work out.

rg_girlca
08-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Gosh my heart goes out to you. Is there any way that you can cover up the cords with something? Put sticky tape on them for now or rub the cords with an orange as cats hate the smell of citrus, or even surround the cords that lie on the ground with orange peels.

I'm glad that you are going to give it a little more time. It's so hard to make a decision whether to keep them or not.

I pray that it works out for Onyx as he is so adorable.

Good luck.

catnapper
08-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Poor little guy. Those kittens sure do get into everything. Its a hard decision but you'll know if its the right one when its time.

Good luck!

CalliesMom
08-29-2005, 10:12 PM
I truly hope everything works out and at least the no kill shelter will take him. At least you know he will go to a good home. HUGS to you for being kind enough to take him off the streets!!

sandragonfly
08-30-2005, 01:09 AM
I hate to hear this too. :(

I agree, is there any way you could tape the cords up on wall? tie all cords in one and wrap up with towels you will never use. once he grows into a little man, maybe he'd not be too attemp to chew anymore. right now he's only kitten, trust me, you could train him!

I could have you give him to me next week, I can train him then give it back to you? I'm more than glad to do that.

for holes/stratches in wall, I see onyx doesn't like being in shutroom, claustophobia(error), he would desperately do anything to get himself out.

maybe can you try cat greenies? they're quite pretty expensive but worth the long "chewing-moments".

hope you'll be able to figure out what you want soon & let me know! :)

Shady
08-30-2005, 10:23 AM
That's a tough thing.

There are things you can try I believe..there are cord encasements you can buy at an electronics store, that will enclose exposed cords, you could try that they are ribbed and a harder material than the cords are made of. There is also some kind of spray repellent you could also try putting directly on the cords, the stuff is supposed to taste horrible to them.

Try doing some research online, check out Petsmart, and Petsco. Your vet may have something or at least some ideas as well.

I had this problem early on with one of them and had the spray...they did eventually grow out of the attraction to the cords.

Good luck.

moosmom
08-30-2005, 11:11 AM
I may have a couple of solutions. Wrap the chords with aluminum foil. Or try spraying "Bitter Apple" on them. It tastes awful and might only take a couple of tastes before he gives up.

Good luck. I hope you can find a solution.

Sonia59
08-30-2005, 11:30 AM
I don't know what to say... poor Onyx and poor you :(

I was also thinking about some repellant to spray on the cords.
And if he does it when you are present, you can try to dissuade him with a water spray, but I imagine he chews the cords especially when you are not home?

I have also seen these encasements to hide cords.

I hope something works.

DJFyrewolf36
08-30-2005, 12:03 PM
It seems as if he has selective hearing ;)

I went home from work last night and caught him chewing again...except all I had to do was glare at him and give him a stern "NO!" and he backed right off. I guess Onyx feels like he only has to listen to me :rolleyes:

Remus is the same way. My husband can't get him to stop doing things no matter what *Unless he goes after him with the spray bottle* Onyx likes water even more than Remus, so spraying him really isn't a deterant. I've noticed though, that if I act like a momcat and gently but firmly grab him by the scruff of his neck and tell him no when he is being nawtee he generally gets the clue and doesn't go after whatever he is going after any more. His stealing food nonsense has stopped. Now he is a very nice kitty and will sit further away and not get right up in your face while your trying to eat. Its amazing how well he responds though. I've only been working with him for a very short time (A little last night and quite a bit on Sunday) He isn't a dumb cat, in fact he is too smart for his own good!

When in doubt, act like a cat right?

kimboe
08-30-2005, 03:42 PM
I think your lil kitty will soon grow out of his nasty habits. all kitties are nasty with chewing and calwing until they are at least a year and a half!
i remember Babe would climb all my trees and drapes and basicly destrore anything she could find when i went to work.
Now she does't care, as long as there is a soft spot for her!:p