PDA

View Full Version : PET POLL - How Do You Prepre For An Emergency?

elizabethann
08-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Today's Pet Poll got me thinking. How do all of you prepare to evacuate your pets in case of an emergency? I'm not prepared at all. What have you all done to prepare??? I'm going to post the same question in Dog General too because now I'm thinking I should be prepared just in case something should happen!

jenluckenbach
08-29-2005, 12:26 PM
I am unfortunately in no way, shape, or form, prepared to save ALL the animals that live in this house if an urgent situation would arrive. Since you can't put cats on a leash and walk then our the door, they would need to be carried. I do, have enough carriers, but not enough hands. I would do the best that is humanly possible, but I fear this would not be enough. :( God willing, I will never need to find out.

Randy_K
08-29-2005, 01:19 PM
I usually have enough wet and dry food on hand for several weeks anyway and a pet carrier is quickly accessible. In earthquake country there can always be - but never has been so far - a bad day so we should be prepared to move on quickly.

In a storm or other natural disaster you can expect that your dog or cat will be upset, afraid and maybe hard to handle. You should plan to put a small or medium sized dog in a carrier to control them rather than plan on a leash to be enough.

AmberLee
08-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Earthquake is one of the more anticipated problems in my area. I keep a bag of cat food, small litter box with litter/scoop, water, and 'familiar' bowls in the trunk of my car in case I need to evacuate the furkids quickly. I do need to update the first aid box, come to think of it. My big worry is finding the furkids after a big one. We had a 5.0 or so a while back and Cassy slept through it, but Livvy raced under the dining room table. Marvelous strategy, but she could be hard to evacuate.

may51380
08-29-2005, 02:54 PM
For Hurricanes: I keep a bag of exta food,gallon of water, box of litter in my waterproof kit along with my things and important papers. I keep their carriers in easy reach - just in case I have to move them. My cats made it through Frances and Jeanne last year - they know that the closet is the "safe room". Heck anytime it thunders they go in there:)

Fire: I had a scare about a month ago. Opened my front door and there was smoke in the hallway. Put Joey in his carrier, then Beth in hers, had to go looking for Lulu (hiding under the bed) Pulled her out and put her in her carrier. Ran outside with one carrier in each hand, Lulu's around my neck along with my purse, no shoes and of course I was in my P.J's - that was a sight:rolleyes: No damage in my apartment - but I got my babies and myself out in under a minute - seems alot longer at the actual time. I now have stickers on my door and windows that say I have 3 cats inside. Bought a fire extinguster for my apartment and I keep all the carriers together in my spare room.

Janine
Beth
Lulu
Joey

lvpets2002
08-29-2005, 03:11 PM
:) Hey I can relate & I think about it all time & how to schedule emergencys.. I have a cat carrier for each cat & dog carrier for Brandy (Ausi) & have harness for the other two dogs.. I keep bags of cat & dog food & water in sizes to run with & I also keep litter & extra pans. So if all goes well I can load babies & ect in matter if minutes.. However have to admitt I have always been a preplanner..:rolleyes:

CalliesMom
08-29-2005, 04:51 PM
We have a large carrier for Whispy and Callie, a smaller one for Shadow and a plastic container for the turtle in case we have to haul butt. I usually keep a supply of any extras about the house and had to use them several times when we had hurricanes scares in Alabama.

NoahsMommy
08-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Amberlee, that's a REALLY good idea. As soon as I get a job and get "back to normal" financially, I'm going to invest in an emergency kit for my car. GREAT idea, thank you! :)

While I have enough cat carriers, in an emergency, I'd be afraid I couldn't extract them from under the bed. :( I'd do it, regardless...but its going to be scary and full of kitty scratches. :eek:

Ugh...I hope we don't have any emergencies..,

GOOD thread, btw! :)

catmandu
08-29-2005, 08:41 PM
LIKE JEN,I HAVE NO EARTHLY IDEA,OF WHAT I WOULD DO,IF THERE WAS AN EMERGENCY HERE.AS I AM OLD,AND HAVE NO TRANSPORT,I WILL GO DOWN,WITH THE HOTEL,AND THE CATS.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/garywatercolor.jpg