PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Understand What I'm Feeling Please?

Cosmo'sNewMom
08-29-2005, 11:37 AM
I lost my beautiful Golden Retriever on August 2nd. She died in my arms after 11 wonderful years. I have missed her sooo much. I have a husband, 2 teenage kids, and a tabby cat. We have all been devestated.

I adopted a VERY sweet Shepherd/Husky mix from the shelter on Saturday. He is so gentle and sweet and patient with us. My tabby cat's reaction was the typical spit and hiss.... This guy is not her Tasha! This is a little bit of the reaction I got from my 17 year old son. My daughter is 14 and totally smitten with him. He's everything he can be and more! My tabby is doing the nose touch thing as we speak. They've come along way since Saturday.

We have been trying to use a kennel at night because he needs that protection from the kitty as well as he's not quite sure of this whole house breaking thing. Last night was the 1st night in the kennel. He howled and cried. It broke my heart. Maybe I am just sleep deprived... my nightime thoughts are the hardest.

What's my problem? When I look at him I want to just sob. I am frightened that I haven't totally fallen in love with him. Was it too soon? Am I abandoning Tasha's memory? I purposly got a boy dog and a mixed breed. My husband is thinking I'm just a bit nuts. He didn't want another dog but he's helping by pointing out all of his good points to me. I feel so flaky and mixed up! Will this pass? He deserves all of me and I'm not there yet?

Has anyone else been through this?