PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone follow recipes from a parent or grandparent?

katienoonan
08-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Well, today I made my first cheesecake. It's my grandmothers recipe, it turned out great! I have watched her make it for years and I finally tried it out for myself. She gave me the exact measurements. Well, does anyone else follow a recipe from a grandparent or parent? Oh, I have also made several other creations(a chicken and rice dish and a tuna salad dish) and she follows my recipes too :D

kittycats_delight
08-28-2005, 08:59 PM
I follow my grandmother's bread recipe. Always turns out perfect and it is not as hard as you might think. I know a lot of people think bread is hard to make and takes a lot of work. But I disagree there it is time consuming but the actually amount of work it takes is not much at all and it is soooo worth it. :)

Lady's Human
08-28-2005, 09:12 PM
We follow (or attempt to follow) recipes from my mother. It can be difficult sometimes because in many case it's a list of ingredients followed by baking instructions, if there's that much. One thing that everyone in my family uses the recipe for is my mother's coffee ring recipe.

sirrahbed
08-28-2005, 09:19 PM
yes!! I actually got to missing my mom this past week and so dug out her chocolate cake recipe:D It is not written very exactly but is pretty much a regular scratch cake but has a cup of mayo instead of any eggs and oil.

The icing is this: blend some real butter with a big spoon of cocoa, a little milk and vanilla - then add enough powdered sugar to make it smooth and spreadable:D :D

It turned out yummy!!

I have my grandmother's jam cake that I also need to make again. She made the best cabbage rolls too - I make those now and then.

catnapper
08-28-2005, 10:48 PM
My family has a recipe for an apple pie that people die for. I've never been a cook, but my step daughter LOVES the pie and my mom wants to teach her how ot make it the next time she comes up. There's no real written recipe for it -- just mom dumping ingredients into a bowl! :D