PDA

View Full Version : Turkeys

Paul
08-28-2005, 05:38 PM
   http://www.petoftheday.com/online/paul/turkeys.jpg

A few minutes ago Karen and I were along the Charles River where we happen to see two wild turkeys. It was just Karen and me and two turkeys walking in a field by the river. I did not have my camera with me so I used Karen's older camera. By the time the camera focused on a turkey the turkey usually had resumed walking (albeit slowly) so almost all the images are blurry. It was wonderful to see the wild turkeys but it was frustrating trying to get a good photo.

Although it does not look like it in this photo, the bird in the foreground was twice as large as the other turkey.

Are they both males?

Paul

Karen
08-28-2005, 05:46 PM
The big one was amazingly big! It's hard to tell as there is nothing with which to judge scale, but when he stood upright, he had to be at least 3 feet tall ...

He didn't display his tail for us, though I was hoping he would, as I am sure it would have been impressive.

Freckles
08-28-2005, 06:02 PM
I'll guess one male & one female.

lizbud
08-28-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Freckles
I'll guess male & female.

You're bound to be half right.:D

Almita
08-28-2005, 06:26 PM
wow those are nice big turkeys!

Desert Arabian
08-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Those are both immature males, which are called "jakes". Once they mature they will become "toms" and their beards on their chest will be much larger and they will get the large red head. Nice picture, Paul!

lizbud
08-28-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Freckles
You mean my answer should have been NO?:)

Yes, No or Not Sure.:)

Anita Cholaine
08-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Beautiful turkeys!!:) I love all that kind of animals...