PDA

View Full Version : Spanish help anyone?

grybai
08-27-2005, 05:51 PM
I'm taking Spanish 330 (advanced conversational Spanish-- :eek: ), but I haven't taken Spanish in a couple years and my speaking skills aren't that great.

Anyway, for Monday I'm supposed to learn the vocublary in the first chapter, but I'm having trouble with the phrase "Lo siento, he quedado con..." as a response to someone asking you out. I'm guessing it means something along the lines of "I'm sorry, I'm already with..." or something, but I'm having trouble finding a clear answer. :confused:

You would think having a Mexican girlfriend would help in this matter, but when I tried to ask her verbally she just said my pronounciation was too off for her to understand, and when I asked through writing she asked what the word "he" means... :rolleyes:

So if anyone can translate it for me, thank you thank you thank you.

Jamieejo85
08-27-2005, 05:55 PM
It means "I am sorry, I have remained (or stayed) with...."

Jamieejo85
08-27-2005, 06:01 PM
By the way, I just read what that was a response to and it seems to not fit that well but that is a literal translation I gave you (I speak both english and spanish fluently). I hope it helped you though:) :)

grybai
08-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Yes, that makes lots of sense. Thanks! :)

Almita
08-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Yes it does say I'm sorry I have remained!!! I taking spanish to get credit points since I know spanish :p easy A haha

koxka
08-27-2005, 08:52 PM
If you are taking conversational spanish more than a translation you must need to know the meaning of the sentence, I guess.

If you are asking to someone to go out or to do something together and she/he tell you "Lo siento, he quedado con...(+name).", is telling you that she/he is sorry that has already a date with (+name), or go out with (+name).,etc...

Hope that helps.