PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Facts

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-27-2005, 04:00 PM
I got this in an e-mail a couple days ago, and thought it was very interesting! I know someone posted something pretty similar to this, with a few things being the same not too long ago, but there ARE some new facts, so read down to the bottom!:D Hope you like it!:)

SO YOU THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING?

A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.

A crocodile cannot stick out its tongue.

A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours.

A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.

A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.

A snail can sleep for three years.

Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.

All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill.

Almonds are a member of the peach family.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

Babies are born without kneecaps. They don't appear until the child reaches 2 to 6 years of age.

Butterflies taste with their feet.

Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds. Dogs only have about 10.

"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".

February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon.

In the last 4,000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.

If the population of China walked past you, in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

If you are an average American, in your whole life, you will spend an average of 6 months waiting at red lights.

It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.

Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.

Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable.

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, or purple.

On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament building is an American flag.

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.

Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.

Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.

"Stewardesses" is the longest word typed with only the left hand and "lollipop" with your right.

The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.

The cruise liner, QE2, moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel that it burns.

The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.

The sentence: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter of the alphabet.

The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid.

The words 'racecar,' 'kayak' and 'level' are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left (palindromes).

There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

There are more chickens than people in the world.

There are only four words in the English language which end in "dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous

There are two words in the English language that have all five vowels in order: "abstemious" and "facetious."

There's no Betty Rubble in the Flintstones Chewables Vitamins.

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.

TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.

Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks; otherwise it will digest itself.

Now you know everything. Well, maybe not quite! (lol!):D;)

lady_zana
08-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Some of those are funny! I like them!

'Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.' I do know this one though is not actually true. I think it actually goes his mother went into labor at a dance but he was born the next day.

I still like them though. I love interesting facts.

Karen
08-27-2005, 05:30 PM
And I posted in the other thread that the "babies born without kneecaps" is also not true - when they are born, they are there, but made of cartilage, they just don't harden into bone until later.

And I don't believe the goldfish memory span one is true either, or there would be no explanation for the goldfish I used to know swimming to the top expecting food when you walked into the room.

poofy
08-27-2005, 05:46 PM
Thats a lot of new interesting info. the sissors got me..wonder where people find all that information..??I like reading that stuff.
lol..

cali
08-27-2005, 06:15 PM
On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament building is an American flag

how old is this info? lol the Toonie came out when I was 6 years old so we have not had a 2 doller bill in like 12 years lol

poofy
08-27-2005, 06:19 PM
I think its fairly old, but still some of it is interesting..I find that interesting the american flag ..Why?Do you know?

Flatcoatluver
08-27-2005, 06:26 PM
ok i want to add a fact to this list i found out last night, for everyone one person there are nine rats, does that make sence, I found out this last night on the most extream

poofy
08-27-2005, 06:37 PM
most extreme? what is that?
lots more rats than people
Gald there are some interesting facts to keep my mind occupied..I have been depressed and found out i was forgetting to take my medication..sigh..so no wonder..I wish i had a bell that rang to remind me each morning.
My brothers place has more than their share of rats I thnk..lol..the desert is kinda full of them..lol..My trailer is up higher so I havent never seen any here.http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/lvpups/smalldogpom4sh.gif

O for the wings of a Dove,I would fly away and be at peace.

cali
08-27-2005, 06:42 PM
lol I was 6 I did not even know about the american flag thing ;) but I looked it up and laughed when I saw this "fun fact"

FUN FACT! Every single Canadian keeps an old one and two dollar bill somewhere in their house because "they might be worth something someday."

every single canadian eh? funny I am a canadian and there is no 1 or 2 dollar bills in my house lol but I guess I am not "every single canadian" lol

flamepony12
08-27-2005, 06:43 PM
cool facts, I only knew a couple =]

sandragonfly
08-27-2005, 09:37 PM
oh.. I thought a dime has 120 groves? and that a quarter has a grove less! (119)..interesting?!

I'll have to check a dime & quarter when I get back from a store.. :D

gemini9961
08-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by poofy
most extreme? what is that?

I think she is talking about Animals Planet's program called the the most extreme. It's quite neat, you should check it out sometime if you have Animal Planet.

Lady's Human
08-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Scissors have been recorded in history from about 1400 BC, in which case DaVinci was older than anyone in recorded history.

Dragonflies have a lifespan of 2 weeks to 2 months, not 24 hours.

sandragonfly
08-27-2005, 10:01 PM
not in the list..

- ostrich bird's brain is as small as a pea. (lol, poor thing?!)

there was a new fact found made after 9/11 I saw somewhere recently..

more people were killed by donkeys than in airplane crashes.. o_O

well, I guess it's fun to think they're all true! :p :D

Suki Wingy
08-27-2005, 11:10 PM
More people die in toilet related incedents than shark related each year. I think that's true.

Almita
08-27-2005, 11:18 PM
wow so cool

sandragonfly
08-27-2005, 11:52 PM
yeah I think I've heard that one too, suki!

ahh.. just counted a dime over four time, I've came with different numbers.. 124, 125 then 123 and 124 again. whew, I better stop confirming before I cross my eyes! *rubbing my eyes*....

Lady's Human
08-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Also not in the list, but interesting........

More children die from drowning in bathtubs and five gallon pails than from firearms.

joycenalex
08-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Lady's Human
Also not in the list, but interesting........

More children die from drowning in bathtubs and five gallon pails than from firearms.

okay i gotta ask, who uses 5 gallon pails, besides my mom? :)

sandragonfly
08-28-2005, 03:12 PM
posted by lady's human

:eek:

I just remembered this one..

more children died from american toliets than children with scooters.

hmmmm.