PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for all in Hurricane Katrina's path

momoffuzzyfaces
08-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Just want to offer prayers for all who will be in the path of hurricane Katrina. The fact that it is getting stronger and they don't know for sure the path it will take, makes it even more dangerous.

Stay safe everyone! Pets too!:(

luvofallhorses
08-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Please stay safe everyone and keep your pets safe too. Prayers to everyone in the hurricane's path.

sirrahbed
08-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Just said my prayer from Ohio. I have the news on and am following the progress. I called my dad in Texas but he does not think they will see more than winds and some rain. But, prayers of safety and protection going out for all who are in the path. Yes, pets too.

Kfamr
08-27-2005, 04:19 PM
We've had ugly weather on and off all day.

Sending my thoughts to those she hits.

sandragonfly
08-27-2005, 04:20 PM
prayers will be said!! :(

I have no TV but glad to know pet talk! especially the news' all about animals! :p

stay dry and safe, folks!! where I am, in california, the largest state - you're getting a big safety prayer from every of us! :)

CamCamPup33
08-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Sending thoughts to all of you in Katrina's path. Im so glad its gone here, & hopefully after this one, there will be no more for awhile.. Its such a scary thought though, because when it hit here, it was only a category 1.... I can't even imagine the damage it'll do at a 3. :(

Stay safe all.

daisyshuman8
08-27-2005, 10:52 PM
Yes, I am keeping everyone who will be or may be in Katrina's path in my prayers..we have family down in Louisiana-my mom's brother and sister and their entire families all live in Baton Rouge,LA. We pray to God that Katrina won't come their way but I have a feeling it is. I just read Bush declared a state of emergency in Louisiana and authorities are wanting people in the New Orleans area to prepare, evacuate, etc. The last time they got hit by a hurricane was Andrew in '92 and he was a monster!

Here's hoping everyone is safe!

K9karen
08-27-2005, 11:53 PM
She's already mean and dangerous. Hope everyone is safe. We're going to get 2 days of rain from her on Tues and Wed, so they say..

Almita
08-28-2005, 12:09 AM
My prayers are in to all who are getting her. I'm in the other side of the United States but I will keep everyone in my prayers for all who gets hit. Be safe to you and ur pets...and family and friends who are over there also.

Prayers from Almita Chiquis Muneca and my family.

dukedogsmom
08-28-2005, 06:02 AM
It's just been upgraded to a Category 4 and is headed straight for New Orleans. I hope everyone will be alright.

dukedogsmom
08-28-2005, 09:48 AM
I feel so bad for the people in Louisiana. It's now a Category 5 with winds of 175mph. This thing is going to be bad. It's huge. It would cover the whole state of Florida.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-28-2005, 10:32 AM
Prayers continuing. It's so sad. Lot's of people's lives could be changed forever soon and nothing can stop it. :(

Daisy and Delilah
08-28-2005, 10:32 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you in Katrina's path. Please stay safe!

Love, Terry, Daisy, and Delilah

daisyshuman8
08-28-2005, 11:32 AM
I hope everyone is safe if they are in Katrina's path or could possibly be. I couldn't believe it is now 175mph.My mom's family is in Baton Rouge and said they have the materials ready if they need it but they haven't done much preparing until they know that Katrina will come their way-I know New Orleans has evacuated-Baton Rouge is 100 mi away from there but are still on the river. Hopefully they will be careful-and everyone else in Katrina's path as well

Cessa's Mom
08-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Prayers going out from Maryland for all the families and furbabies in the path of this storm. Cessa, Houston (my foster boy) and I will be thinking of everyone and watching for updates.

dukedogsmom
08-28-2005, 11:37 AM
daisyshuman8, tell them they'd better get out of there before it's too late. This one is worse than the ones Florida had last year. Hotels are being booked fast in TX and even TN. They'll have to drive a good while to get one. I hope they and all the others stay safe.

Karen
08-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Prayers for everyone to stay safe and not try to "tough it out." Hurricanes are no joke, especially for low-lying N'orleans!

CamCamPup33
08-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Oh my gosh! :( What we got was nothing...

Everyone in her path is in my thoughts.... Stay safe!

sandragonfly
08-28-2005, 03:19 PM
gosh, cover the whole state...sounds very serious.

I'm praying harder!!

what was the highest record by the way?

lvpets2002
08-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Texas sends Lots & Lots of Prayers ****
Please all in the path go to higher grounds & take your furr babies with you.. Me & my babies will be keeping up with the news & praying..

daisyshuman8
08-28-2005, 03:31 PM
It is getting closer to New Orleans! My family is about 2 hrs away from there (Baton Rouge)-last I heard, Katrina was about 260 miles from New Orleans. It's a low lying city, and the weather forcasters predicts if she hits at the level she is, half of the well built homes can lose roofs and wall structure, even high rise buildings can sway and can possibly collapse, and large appliances and even small cars can be swept away. I am thinking of you guys in her path-I have family down there myself and they have alot of friends down there also, so it is a serious situation in my family right now-worried about their safety. If I hear anything, I will let you guys know how my folks in Baton Rouge are!

I am keeping you all in my prayers-hope that you and your family/friends/pets remain safe during this monster.

Oh and Daisy said to tell the animals to make sure they have plenty of food and water and treats and maybe a toy in case they get scared :)

QueenScoopalot
08-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Adding in my prayers for everyone's safety, and especially Laura "Lauras Babies" and her daughter "Rie-Rie", and son "Dusty's People". Laura is off on the river working, and probably terrified about the storm, and being unable to do anything about it. :( Hope everyone rides it out OK.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-28-2005, 03:34 PM
I'm so concerned about all the people on the roads trying to get away. Some of the roads are grid locked!!!

I'm praying as hard as I can that everyone finds shelter in time.
This is going to be a bad one, I'm afraid.:(

daisyshuman8
08-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Gina-I think that Camille was one of the strongest. I keep on hearing the weather people talk about it being as strong as Camille in 1969. I think Andrew was a whopper too in '92-that one cost over a billion. I might be missing out on some others though.

I remember a few years back the one named Floyd-that's my dad and brother's name and I remember saying how weird it would be if Floyd was a big hurricane. He wasn't one like Andrew or Katrina but he definitely made news!

lvpets2002
08-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Hey lets all keep this thread updated with the outcome && we may want to group & help out our people {two & four legged}.. I sure would be willing & Dallas not to for from New Orleans..

Fur&Feathers
08-28-2005, 03:42 PM
My prayers go out to those in it's path. Please take care and stay SAFE... and if possible keep us updated on how you and your furbabies are.

daisyshuman8
08-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Good idea lvpets! I know I will inform everyone on here on my family down in Baton Rouge-in the family petwise, there's a black Lab (Rock),a Lab mix (Jake), and a Shepherd mix (Sam)

delidog
08-28-2005, 08:40 PM
I Also Pray for the People of the State of La.

Camille was a Cat.5 hurricane and hit Louisiana in 69... I believe 169 people were killed....

Andrew was a Cat.5 Hurricane...49 people lost their lives,but was The Most Expensive Natural Disaster in History at 28 billion

Katrina is a Whopper and Should Not be Second Guessed....I would not even be comfortable in Gulf Shores of Texas at this point

I hope ALL that need to evacuate have done so...
There was a 9:00 curfew in N.O. ...but I saw a Report where the Reporter was actually reporting from a bar in N.O... They were Having their last Drinks!!

He said that Tourists had No where to go...JUST DRIVE NORTH MAN!!!! JUST DON"T STOP!!! Sleep In YOUR CAR!!

I'm Probably a little over sensitive,But I will say that after last year...and 2 CAT 4s' hitting us...and Living through Andrew...
I will Never Again Stay for a Cat 5.....That is My Breaking Point....And I don't live 20 feet Below Sea Level!!!

I Really Feel for Everybody in LA.,Al.,and the Panhandle right now....You don't Know what Direction this Monster will Turn....

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!!

Kfamr
08-28-2005, 08:42 PM
My aunt and uncle live in the Panhandle and I imagine they'll get quite a bit of wind. Hopefully that's all.

:(

lisalee
08-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Prayers for all the people and animals in Katrina's Path. :(

chocolatepuppy
08-28-2005, 09:31 PM
I will pray for all in Katrinas path.

slick
08-28-2005, 09:37 PM
I was watching a bit of it on TV later this aft and it sure does scare the living daylights out of me. Say special prayers for all those involved.

I think Laura's Babies is from down there. Is she out on the boat right now??? I just can't imagine what it must be like.

God, please keep them all safe.

Corinna
08-28-2005, 09:41 PM
I was thinking of Laura and her daughter too Slick. Is she out on the boat?
Prayers for all and especally for our own .

petslover
08-28-2005, 10:28 PM
We might be getting this too.. We are thinking about getting our entire family and leavingto go out of state. I'm not to sure what we are going to do yet... I'll come back on and keep ya'll updated. Take care everyone!

daisyshuman8
08-28-2005, 11:31 PM
I cannot believe how some people are treating this hurricane-earlier today they had some news report in front of the Gulf and waves were crashing. In the background, people were surfing and walking around acting ignorant behind the camera. I mean, don't they care about their safety???Some take the whole thing casually-it's SERIOUS!

Heard a story on TV today about a marina down in LA where many house boats were being prepared for the storm. Can you believe one of the owners (a mother and her 3-year old) want to STAY in the boat and ride it out? Does she care about her kid's well-being?Sounds like the boat is more important. Sad, sad

Heck I'd be out of that state with Daisy behind me if I knew that hurricane was coming. I'm not going to risk my life!

K9karen
08-28-2005, 11:54 PM
We're suppose to get hit hard with rain on Tues night through Wed from Katrina if she heads up our way, and that's enough to scare me to pieces. They say that New Orleans especially will never be the same. I'd be peeing myself. I'm petrified just hearing about it. Poor everybody, I'm so worried. I pray everyone remains safe

davidpizzica
08-29-2005, 04:47 AM
Pittsburgh is expected to be hit hard with the rain and storms, but my sincecest prayers go out to the people of New Orleans and the gulf coast.

neko1
08-29-2005, 05:57 AM
Brian's mother lives in Louisiana and had mandatory evacuation. She drove 13 hours to somewhere in Texas and is now in a hotel. She said it took her awhile before she could find a hotel that would accept her with her 2 cats...I just thank god that she brought them with her (unfortunately I wouldn't have put it past her to have left the cats....but that's another story).
But you'd think the hotels would be a little nicer- they have to know that people are fleeing from Louisiana- what are they supposed to do, all leave their pets behind? That's insane! But she is safe and so are her kitties.

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Any news yet? Where is Katrina now??

Logan
08-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Lut, Katrina has made landfall a little east of New Orleans. I'm having to follow it on the radio and the internet now since I don't have access to a tv at the office.

You can look at the radar on most any news channel. Try www.weather.com
or www.msnbc.com

I heard the radio announcer say a few minutes ago that a portion of the roof lining has blown off at the Super Dome and rain is pouring in. :(

How horribly sad this storm is. I think the rain we will get tonight through Wed as a result of Katrina will be nothing compared to what the gulf states are enduring.

Logan

slick
08-29-2005, 08:59 AM
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/map_tropprjpath12_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

When I look at this projected path, I can only increase my prayers for all those affected by it.

ramanth
08-29-2005, 09:30 AM
Many thoughts and prayers for those in Katrina's path.

I know it won't be as strong, but Andy and I are heading for Atlanta, GA. this upcoming Wed. evening. He's worried we'll be driving right into her.

Sassy_luvr
08-29-2005, 09:34 AM
Tonight Katrina will hit us at 75 m.p.h. winds plus major rain!

daisyshuman8
08-29-2005, 09:38 AM
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/map_tropprjpath12_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

Good grief-KY is completely yellow (where I live)-we're going to get drenched this week :( But we need it bad

Harmanie
08-29-2005, 10:12 AM
prayers to all in Katrinas path.

furrykidsmother
08-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Prayers to all in Katrina's path.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-29-2005, 10:52 AM
If anyone wants to give a donation to the red cross to help the hurricane efforts, call 1-800-HELPNOW or you could contact your local Red Cross.

They are saying that it looks like New Orleans has dodged the bullet again, at least the French Quarter. The west side is getting lots of water though. One of the levee's in the 9th ward has failed. The Superdome has a couple of holes in the roof but the people are still safe.

Mississippi is getting hammered too. They are getting the worse side of the storm. Still lots of storm to go yet.

Alabama is having lots of flooding too.
:(

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Prayers are coming...:( We're supposed to get pounded with *rain* tomorrow, but that's definitely not as bad as New Orleans...:(

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-29-2005, 04:09 PM
I just saw the news. Katrina made so much damage :eek: :eek: ;
They also said that the hurricane slowed down now... . I hope it is true!:confused:

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-29-2005, 04:18 PM
I know, and I heard there's 6-8 FEET of water in the roads!:(

Kfamr
08-29-2005, 04:23 PM
I haven't been able to watch the news at all and i'm not sure I want to. Hurricanes are so depressing and upsetting. I hope, although very wishful thinking, no one is critically injured.

sandragonfly
08-29-2005, 05:27 PM
:eek: :( :(

that's more than what I thought! I don't think I wanna look up news now..

take care everyone!!! ((those who posted here too))

cyber-sibes
08-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Yes, so far no one's beenkilled, but alot of people have lost their homes - so sad! I haven't heard from my friend in Mississippi, but I;m hoping she's safe. Prayers for all those affected, and all the animals, pets and wild.

sandragonfly
08-29-2005, 05:38 PM
http://tinypic.com/besuur.jpg

so sad.. :(

I really hope everyone's ok!!

petslover
08-29-2005, 06:11 PM
okay our town is under curfew later on tonight. We are going to go to our coliseum which the Red Cross has opened up for.. We got our leashes and fish bowls and clothes to take with us.. its going to be a long night. i'm so nervous.

PJ's Mom
08-29-2005, 06:16 PM
You're gonna be ok. :) Good luck and post when you can.

cyber-sibes
08-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Extra prayers going out for you and your family, petslover! Hopefully you can return home soon. Better to be safe!

delidog
08-30-2005, 05:44 AM
The Devastation is Horrible...There is quite a bit of loss of life...So Sad!!!!!
They showed horses standing on a strip of ground about 8 ft. wide by 60 ft.long.....but it was dry.....
They are saying it might Surpass Andrew as to the cost of repair....

So SAD

NoahsMommy
08-30-2005, 07:22 AM
♥ ((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))) ♥

Its very scary. Around midnight my time the news showed 55 deaths already. :(

Lots of prayers being sent to those affected by Katrina.

Daisy and Delilah
08-30-2005, 07:59 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with everybody affected by this horrific disaster. God be with all of you. I am willing to help with whatever I can and I believe that so many people will need help when all is said and done. I can't watch the news without tearing up. It's absolutely devastating.

Terry, Daisy and Delilah

sirrahbed
08-30-2005, 08:38 AM
The news is really devastating. I guess I should not watch so much....but it is heartbreaking. Before the hurricane - most of the coverage was about what could happen to downtown New Orleans...but it looks like the saddest damage was in other parts of Louisiana, other states and Mississippi in particular. I pray all I can - but seeing the people and all they have lost:( I just saw a broadcast talking to an older man and he was crying as he described his losses - then told about holding his wife's hand as the water enveloped their house - and now she is missing:) So many are wandering the streets in a daze.

popcornbird
08-30-2005, 09:22 AM
I've been watching the coverage on CNN. Oh my gosh. :( It is ripping my heart apart! I couldn't believe the amount of water......the homes are completely submerged! Those poor people. Such devastation. :(

slick
08-30-2005, 09:51 AM
My prayers continue for those in the path if Katrina.

sirrahbed
08-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird
I've been watching the coverage on CNN. Oh my gosh. :( It is ripping my heart apart! I couldn't believe the amount of water......the homes are completely submerged! Those poor people. Such devastation. :(
I agree Poppy. I made myself turn off the news for now - there are just so many *unknowns* that I don't know what to pray for. One man named Jackson saved his children but his house is gone and wife is missing...he was holding her hand :( ....So, I have just asked God to comfort and strengthen.:( :(

momoffuzzyfaces
08-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
:( I just saw a broadcast talking to an older man and he was crying as he described his losses - then told about holding his wife's hand as the water enveloped their house - and now she is missing:) So many are wandering the streets in a daze. That man is Harvey Jackson. I saw that on CNN late this morning. It is so sad. Even the reporter was crying.

This entire thing is beyond horrible!

I watched CNN until 2 am. There was a second breech in one of the levee's walls. Now they think there may be a total of 4.
Boats were taking people off of roofs but had to stop and leave lots of them up there because it was too dangerous to continue in the dark because of all the submerged cars, live power lines that were down and stuff.

There have been several fires that can't be put out.

30 people in one apartment complex have been killed.

New Orleans is now under Martial Law.

There are few roads out, not much food or water, gas for rescue cars and other cars is running low.

LA, MS, and AL are all just devistated.

I wish I could comfort everyone with a hug and make it all go away for them. :(

Pam
08-30-2005, 10:14 AM
The mayor of one of the towns (Gulfport, MS I believe) just said "this is our own tsunami."

Two people have died in the Super Dome and there is no power. The outside temps will be 91 today. They said the restrooms are deplorable. I wish they could get those people out. I can't imagine the conditions inside there. :(

petslover
08-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Just wanted to check in on everyone to let you know we are all safe here. Thanks everyone. It didn't get as bad as they thought in my town, but alot of trees did fall and power was out for awhile. and stuff is blown everywhere..

I really feel for all those who got it worst. God Bless all of them.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by petslover
Just wanted to check in on everyone to let you know we are all safe here. Thanks everyone. It didn't get as bad as they thought in my town, but alot of trees did fall and power was out for awhile. and stuff is blown everywhere..

I really feel for all those who got it worst. God Bless all of them. Thanks for checking in and letting us know you are ok!

Pam, I agree, I wish they could get everyone out of the Super dome too. It's being surrounded by water now that the levee's are failing. I can't imagine being in there with all those people and no fresh air or ac in 90 degree heat. :(

lizbud
08-30-2005, 11:10 AM
It is so hard to imangine such incredible devastation.:( I'm
praying for all the familes & pets who are trying to survive day
to day. Sure makes my petty problems pale in comparison.
God bless them all.

popcornbird
08-30-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
I agree Poppy. I made myself turn off the news for now - there are just so many *unknowns* that I don't know what to pray for. One man named Jackson saved his children but his house is gone and wife is missing...he was holding her hand :( ....So, I have just asked God to comfort and strengthen.:( :(

I saw that. :( He was crying and the reporter was crying, and as I listened to both of them, I started crying too. Poor guy, I just can't imagine. Just think if this happened in the old days, before we had technology to forecast and evacuate in time. The whole area would be wiped out. Thank God at least MOST of the people were able to get out, but the thought that they will come back to nothing rips me apart. The videos kinda remind me of the storm at the time of Prophet Noah.....just how flooded it is. They need Noah's ARK!

gini
08-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by lizbud
It is so hard to imangine such incredible devastation.:( I'm
praying for all the familes & pets who are trying to survive day
to day. Sure makes my petty problems pale in comparison.
God bless them all.

Oh, Liz, you couldn't have said it better! My problems? What problems? - and shame on me for even thinking I might have a few!

Sometimes it is very difficult to even comprehend what is happening to all of these people. I find that I just cannot watch the television - I just turn it off and start saying prayers for all of those poor people who have lost everything.

lvpets2002
08-30-2005, 11:36 AM
:( :( I know it is all so devastating & my heart just wants to go to all.. I do wish they would update us on all the furr babies out there.. There is a big Zoo right off the river there at New Orleans & hope all the animals were able to get to higher ground too.. I just cant even begin to think what all these people & pets are going thru.. Just think last week we were complaining about the heat && now have to state what heat {my world is just fine & cant complain about nothing}..

ParNone
08-30-2005, 11:46 AM
There's been a influx of evacuees from LA into Houston. The Houston mayor asked all the hotels in the area to give price breaks to evacuees and any price gouging would be dealt with. Hope he follows through on that. Nothing slimier then trying to make a buck off people's misfortune.

They've also opened up numerous shelters in the area for people who can't afford hotels and I'd heard they took in over 400 animals at the Houston SPCA from New Orleans, before the hurricane hit.

I would think that other surrounding cities not effected by the hurricane are also helping out too. And hopefully they'll all continue to help until people can get back on their feet. I can imagine it's going to be awhile before those affected areas are livable again.

Par...

PJ's Mom
08-30-2005, 11:48 AM
We're getting a few refugees here in Austin, too. However, ours seem to be people with family or friends here.

I hope things get back to normal for these families as soon as possible. :(

momoffuzzyfaces
08-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Excuse me for being rude, but where are the offers of help from the other countries in the world?

The US is always one of the first to offer to help when anyone else has a disaster but when we need help??????????? :(

Maybe it's time to rethink OUR foreign policy?????

ParNone
08-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Thought I'd share this story, I stumbled on. I got teary-eyed in several places, especially the part with the dog.

Rare strokes of luck mark rescue

By JAMES VARNEY
Staff report

SLIDELL, La. -- As he pushed his skiff past the big boats aground on the interstate highway, Mike Parks feared the worst.

On the horizon, Parks could just make out the catamaran perched atop the twinspan bridge over Lake Pontchartrain. To his left, car antennas poked above the surface of the white caps splashing against a dealership's display windows, and to his right was the vast, watery plain of Oak Harbor and Eden Isles, the upscale neighborhood that at daybreak had contained more than 1,000 houses, a marina and a sprawling three-story apartment complex with scores of units.

The north shore of Lake Pontchartrain -- the one that existed before Hurricane Katrina -- was some three miles to the south. The home Parks and his wife, Melinda, had moved into less than a year ago was about two and three-quarter miles south. It was about 3 p.m. Monday, roughly four hours after Katrina's ferocious eye wall had shaved Slidell and roared off northeastward toward the Mississippi coast.

"Oh, man, oh, man, I just don't know, I had no idea it would be as bad as this," Parks said as he navigated what had once been a golf course fairway. In every direction, Parks saw houses without roofs, with boats smashed through garages and walls, with possessions mean and exquisite spilling into the dirty water that lapped into their foyers and bedrooms.

The tops of street signs provided some landmarks, but what was once an intricate web of streets and canals was now simply a marine wasteland.

"Even if insurance covers it, do we want to rebuild?" Melinda asked.

Parks, jumping out of the skiff now and then to push it across the shallow water over a driveway, shook his head.

"Let's see if there is anybody we can help first," he said.

And so, like a Titanic lifeboat crew, they puttered among the wreckage of Slidell, La., where authorities said Katrina had killed at least two people and left untold hundreds, perhaps thousands, of residents homeless.

In knots creeping along the water's edge, or in motorboats that crisscrossed the flooded landscape, people scavenged for scraps of their former lives. Communications were out everywhere -- even fire and rescue crews were having trouble staying in touch with each other. News from New Orleans or Mississippi was non-existent and the blackout over St. Tammany Parish meant that radio broadcasts carried no information about what was happening across the Northshore.

Throughout Oak Harbor and Eden Isles a creepy calm seemed to have settled over the flotsam of forever shattered lives. In canal network cul de sacs, swaths of boards and shingles and bobbing coolers and appliances formed what appeared to be a solid mass, as if one could walk across the wreckage to the flooded homes just beyond. Boats, some of them whacking big yachts, were aground at weird angles, the air filled with the high-pitched thwack and ping of lines whipping across their booms and masts. Cars had been tossed into homes. Insulation foam bubbled around the fringes of ragged, ripped edges of houses.

And then a screaming came across the water. To his right, Parks saw a woman gesticulating wildly from a second floor balcony at her home. Parks, a captain of sport fishing boats and offshore supply vessels who works out of Gulfport, Miss., navigated closer.

The woman, Ann Nash, told Parks her in-laws were trapped in their house nearby. She had spoken to them that morning, as they crawled into their attic to escape the rising storm surge. Parks agreed to check on them.

But the exact address proved difficult to find. So they pushed on further south toward their own house, figuring they could stop by Nash's in-laws on the return. By now, they were certain they would find little, if anything, worth salvaging.

And then, incredibly, when they motored into the canal behind Cutty Sark Cove, there was their home, largely intact, and sitting atop one of the few mounds of grass still visible. Inside, a slippery layer of mud coated the stone floors and had ruined the carpets, but the water had not reached that high and the meticulous cutout and crayoned tigers and balloon vendors on one wall -- the artwork of Aaron and Brady Parks, identical twins aged two and currently residing with grandparents in Baton Rouge -- was intact.

Melinda Parks opened and closed her mouth like a fish out of water.

"I do not believe it," she said, shaking her head. "I am pleasantly surprised beyond belief."

The Parkses quickly surveyed their astonishing good fortune, stuffed Hershey bars and crackers into a Ziploc baggie, and returned to their skiff. This time, rather than leave the search for the Nashes to chance, he picked up Ann Nash at her home and set off once again.

With Ann Nash guiding, Parks returned to a pocket of a canal he'd searched before, but this time the cries from the boat were returned from shore. Jim Nash, 77, and his wife, Odette, 65, had heard the yells before but could not get out of their attic in time to respond.

Parks cut the motor and the skiff drifted on to the back porch, and the grateful, stunned Nash family was reunited. They were surprisingly upbeat given what they'd endured.

"We really thought we could make it, we were told the water had never gotten much higher than the docks even in big storms," Odette Nash said.

Indeed, she had just hung up a cell phone conversation with an evacuated neighbor around 8 a.m. when she looked out her back window and saw the water coming over the edge and charging her house like a train in a tunnel.

"We just scrambled to the attic and prayed and we've been up there ever since," Odette said.

As the now-crowded skiff returned to Ann Nash's house, Parks encountered two St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's deputies in another boat.

"Are you OK?" one deputy shouted across the canal. "What are you doing out here?"

"We're fine," Parks sang back. "We're rescuing people."

"That's just fine. Thank you," the deputy replied. "We're the first boat that could get out here."
"Second boat," Melinda Parks said softly, a smile creasing her face.

The Nashes deposited on higher ground, Parks turned his skiff toward the Oak Harbor marina and, across the horizon, the oddly lumpy line of the twin span bridges that carry Interstate 10 across Lake Pontchartrain. Even from a distance it was clear the marooned catamaran was the least of the bridges' concerns. Katrina had left both the eastbound and westbound elevated stretches structurally unsound.

The same was true of the marina, where boats had been tossed about recklessly. One giant vessel had pierced a three-story apartment building, parked there half inside and half outside the wrecked building. Now, hours into his odyssey, Parks faced less light and more wind, and he needed to return to the Interstate where he could pull his skiff ashore before dark.

And then another voice wafted across the increasingly unruly water.

On a strip of land still left along what had been the lake's north shore, standing among the demolished camps and houses and restaurants that had once faced the water, a man was waving his arms above his head.

Parks crossed over, his skiff slapping on the waves, and found Jim Elorriaga, a New Orleans blues musician who goes by the simpler name of E.L.

"Do you want a lift?" Melinda Parks yelled. "Oh, God, do I," E.L. said.

As the skiff pulled up in some reeds, E.L. began to relate his tale.

Trapped in his apartment along the lake's edge, he had gone first to the second floor and then the roof as Katrina built in fury and the water rose.

Finally, with the water closing over the top of his roof, Elorriaga saw the Sundance sailboat adrift and passing nearby. He said he jumped to a floating refrigerator and from there to the boat, which began to lurch about crazily in the tempest.

Eventually, the Sundance rammed an even bigger boat, and the two of them ran aground in a T. With his belongings and home gone, Elorriaga sat down to wait for help.

"I even lost my dog, Woody," he said in despair.

But, as it happened, the Parkses had seen Woody earlier. He was nearby, jumping among the wreckage floating around a gas storage tank. Elorriaga splashed off and soon was carrying Woody in his arms.

It was nearing 7 p.m. when Parks finally turned north and headed back to the Interstate. By the time he returned, the water had receded enough so that Slidell Fire Department units had been able to set up a command post near where the Interstate meets Lake Pontchartrain.

Firefighters scrambled into the shallows and helped pull up Parks’ boat, and then got a heavy jacket around Elorriaga. The rescue crews were still desperate for information, asking about survivors and the extent of the destruction in Eden Isles and possessing little news about New Orleans or Mississippi.

"It's like St. Tammany is a black hole," one firefighter muttered. "They don't know anything at all has happened here."

James Varney is a staff writer for The Times-Picayune. He can be contacted at [email protected].

davidpizzica
08-30-2005, 04:39 PM
I just saw a couple of reports on CNN and believe me devastation doesn't even begin to describe the conditions in New
Orleans and the Gulf Coast. I have no words for it. My heart felt prayers go out to to the people who have lost ones, those looking for loved ones, and people who have lost everything and are asking "WHY?" I'm sobbing as I type this.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-30-2005, 04:49 PM
And the news just keeps getting worse.
The prisons now have to be evacuated so they have the prisoners in orange jump suites, sitting on a road waiting to be transfered who knows where. They are under armed guard, thankfully.

The Super dome is now unsafe and everyone there has to be evacuated too. But to where?

Several seals were displaced from a zoo. One of them is in a puddle slowling burning to death. (thanks fox news. I didn't need to hear that!!! I'm upset enough all ready!!!)

I don't think I EVER want to see another disaster movie again!:(

slick
08-30-2005, 05:26 PM
I will be making a donation to my local Red Cross.....and hope that it makes a difference.

My heart aches for these people and what they have to face in the coming months. :(

lizbud
08-30-2005, 06:45 PM
I wonder if we have enough manpower available ,like the
National Guard, to help with coordinating the recue effort &
provide some security for people? As I watch the film on the
evening news, I almost find this level of devastation hard to
comprehend. So tragic.

delidog
08-30-2005, 07:00 PM
It is sooo Devastating:(

momoffuzzyfaces
08-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces

Several seals were displaced from a zoo. One of them is in a puddle slowling burning to death. (thanks fox news. I didn't need to hear that!!! I'm upset enough all ready!!!)

I don't think I EVER want to see another disaster movie again!:( CNN reported that a police officer shot the seal and put it out of it's misery because there is just no help to be had for man or beast right now. :(

Such sadness and so much more to come in the days ahead I'm afraid. :(

anna_66
08-30-2005, 10:25 PM
This is all so disheartening, all the devastation:(

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone.

cyber-sibes
08-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Please be sure to check out this thread -- posted as "huricaine pet rescue site" in General and Dog General, posted by Lorraine: it has the site to donate money for the emergency rescues of pets left behind in the devastated areas. I feel pretty helpless to do much but pray, but I know my donation will help a little - every bit helps! ALL of the money donated goes for this emergency.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&postid=1244107#post1244107

It is hard to imagine that all this devastation could happen so quickly, my prayers go out to all affected.

RICHARD
08-31-2005, 01:34 AM
Today you will...

Turn on an appliance
Get a cold drink of water
Hang out in the air conditioned comfort of your home
Have a great bowel movement with dry toilet paper to follow
Get in your car and drive to
Get an ice cream
Get fast food
Go to work
You will get home and sleep in your home
your dry bed
take a shower
put on clean, dry clothes

You will take ALL THOSE THINGS FOR GRANTED.

When you do something take a moment and think about how
much you think about those simple things.

For most of us we will not think twice, for some of us we will think once and know how lucky and blessed we are.

-----------------------------------

I do feel badly for all those people.

But my heart fills with pride knowing that the rest of us will forget all the petty crap that we have in our lives and we'll pull together to rebound from this.

IT is not what happens to us.

It's how we pull together, It's how we help and how we recover.

---------------------------------------

The projected price of this disaster is projected at 25 billion dollars.

What is the price of an open hand, an open heart and hope?

momoffuzzyfaces
08-31-2005, 09:53 AM
Well said, Richard. (Though I'm sure some will find a way to blame Bush for this hurricane)

I however, feel guilty even eating when I see all those going without food.

I see we have 4 battle ships heading toward MS and LA loaded with supplies! YEAH!

Another thing has been on my mind; what about the people who did evacuate but will soon be out of money and probably have, not only no home now, but no jobs either? What on earth will they do???? :(

I just saw on Fox news that Germany has offered assistance to help cope with the disaster. Whether we accept or not, I just want to say:
THANK YOU GERMANY! IT'S SO KIND OF YOU TO OFFER!
:)

Anita Cholaine
08-31-2005, 02:04 PM
It's so terrible all this devastation:(.....Sending prayers to all the people affected from the other side of the world... I've heard on the news all the damage that it caused, so stay safe you all, guys, and your pets of course....Hope everything ends soon....

momoffuzzyfaces
08-31-2005, 02:13 PM
Why?
Why aren't they dropping supplies to the people who are trapped on the road by the Superdome buy using the choppers? People are coming up out of the projects and have had no food or water for two days. Being poor is no crime. THEY NEED HELP TOO!!! :(

Where are all the charities who brag about helping out???:(

My solution is to use some of the choppers to drop supplies and some to do the recovery.

PJ's Mom
08-31-2005, 02:14 PM
25,000 people are being brought here to Texas to stay in the Astrodome for as long as necessary. They have cancelled all football games scheduled to be held in the Astrodome from now through December. I think it's the only good thing our governor has done. :rolleyes:

While I don't think I could handle living in a football stadium, I can't imagine the place these people are coming from. :(

lizbud
08-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Bring a few thousand National Guard back from Iraq. They
are needed here now.:(

Officials Helpless Against Looters

By KEVIN McGILL
Associated Press Writer
Published August 31, 2005, 3:40 PM CDT

NEW ORLEANS -- With law officers and National Guardsmen focused on saving lives, looters around the city spent another day Wednesday brazenly ransacking stores for food, beer, clothing, appliances -- and guns.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco said she has asked the White House to send more people to help with evacuations and rescues, thereby freeing up National Guardsmen to stop looters.

"Once we get the 3,000 National Guardsmen here, we're locking this place down," Mayor Ray Nagin said. "It's really difficult because my opinion of the looting is it started with people running out of food, and you can't really argue with that too much. Then it escalated to this kind of mass chaos where people are taking electronic stuff and all that."

Amid the chaos Wednesday, thieves commandeered a forklift and used it to push up the storm shutters and break the glass of a pharmacy. The crowd stormed the store, carrying out so much ice, water and food that it dropped from their arms as they ran. The street was littered with packages of ramen noodles and other items.

Looters also chased down a state police truck full of food. The New Orleans police chief ran off looters while city officials themselves were commandeering equipment from a looted Office Depot. During a state of emergency, authorities have broad powers to take private supplies and buildings for their use.

At one store, hordes of people from all ages, races and walks of life grabbed food and water. Some drove away with trunkloads of beer.

At one point, two officers drew their guns on the looters, but the thieves left without incident. One of the officers said he is not going to arrest anyone for snatching up food and water.

One young man was seen wading through chest-deep floodwater, carrying a case of soda, after looting a grocery store.

John Matessino, president of the Louisiana Hospital Association, said he had not heard of anyone breaking into the hospitals, but he added that thieves got into the parking garage at one hospital and were stealing car batteries and stereos.

Officials tried to balance security needs with saving lives.

"We're multitasking right now," said New Orleans Police Capt. Marlon Defillo. "Rescue, recovery, stabilization of looting, we're trying to feed the hungry."

New Orleans' homeland security chief, Terry Ebbert, said looters were breaking into stores all over town and stealing guns. He said there are gangs of armed men moving around the city. At one point, officers stranded on the roof of a hotel were fired at by criminals on the street.

The Times-Picayune newspaper reported that the gun section at a new Wal-Mart had been cleaned out by looters.

Authorities said an officer was shot in the head and a looter was wounded in a shootout. The officer and looter were expected to survive.

Rie Rie
08-31-2005, 04:14 PM
I am Laura'sBabies daughter, just wanted to let everyone know that didn't see it on the cat general side, we are all fine, no major damage. My brother has mom's other cats and they are all fine.
We are about 50 miles from New Orleans, and I can say it got pretty darn scarey here. When my husband boards up the windows, I know it's going to be serious. New Orleans is totally devastated and it will be months, maybe years before get back to any sort of normalcy. My uncle, mom's baby brother lives in N.O. and we've not heard anything from him. All we know is that his wife and two kids left out early Mon. morning and we don't even know where they are. It's hard for me to watch the news and hold back the tears for all those people that have lost everything.
It's not only N.O., you can go to CNN.com and see some photos of Miss., Alabama, it's bad everywhere that was in Katrina's path.
Just please pray that my uncle will get out, he had to stay because he is a cop there. Thank you all for thinking of us. GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!!

petslover
08-31-2005, 04:32 PM
I am glad you checked in with us and I'm glad that you are okay.

catland
08-31-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by slick
I will be making a donation to my local Red Cross.....and hope that it makes a difference.

My heart aches for these people and what they have to face in the coming months. :(

Vickie - Before I had even read this, I did the same. I was sitting here at my desk - outside is a beautiful late summer day, and was unable to fathom what it would be like if I had to pack up and not be able to go home (if there even was one) for months.

Feeling hopelessly useless and feeling the need to do something, I looked up the Red Cross and made a donation.

Its so wierd - population wise, New Orleans is almost identical to Portland and the surrounding area. I cannot fathom what it would be like for this entire area to have to pack up and leave.

My prayers are with everyone suffering from Katrina.

anna_66
08-31-2005, 07:28 PM
It just seems to keep getting worse. I watched a little of 20/20 and there was one poor lady on the bridge with her dead husband laying beside her...oh god I can't even imagine.
Lord please be with these people in their time of need.

PJ's Mom
08-31-2005, 10:21 PM
If anyone is interested here (https://ntc.cap.af.mil/ops/wmirs/public/missions/mission_display.cfm?recordid=1046#images) is a link to see pictures taken by the Civil Air Patrol. It certainly drives home the magnitude of this. :(

RICHARD
09-01-2005, 02:17 AM
THere is no way on the planet that the US government could possible plan and save all the people in dire straight at this moment,

The first rule of survival is-

Plan to be on your own for up to four days.

If you cannot, then you are on your own.

That is the first and only rule whem you have to deal with a natural disaster.

Even tho people were 'caught off guard" they have lived in a hurricane zone.

---------------

let's just so what we have to right now,
The dead, starving and sranded won't benefit from finger pointing,
there's plenty oif time later on.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-01-2005, 01:03 PM
The second rule of survival is:
If you are told to get out ..... DO IT!! IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!!!

Strange that they can get supplies and help to other countries faster than we can to our own people! We need to do some serious rethinking about our foreign aid. As much as we want to help the world, we need to help our people first.:(

Killearn Kitties
09-01-2005, 01:42 PM
So glad to hear that you are OK Rie Rie. I'm keeping your Uncle and his family in my thoughts. Please let us know when you hear anything.

popcornbird
09-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Does anyone else think it is STUPID that when the government ordered evacuations, they left it completely on the citizens to get out themselves? Obviously, many were unable to get out. They knew for DAYS before that this hurricane was strengthening, and where it was going to hit, and that it would be very severe. If they were so sincere about their people, they would've sent planes/helicopters/buses from EVERY single state to get EVERY single human being and every single innocent life OUT of there ahead of time. It should've been a ghost town before the storm arrived, and there WAS enough time. There WAS. People should have been forced to leave whether they wanted to, or not. Yet they all had to leave in their own cars. With the traffic, gas problems, and financial problems for some, not everyone was able to make it out. WHY couldn't the government have taken everyone out of there days before? I know its probably easier said than done, but I'm SURE they could have done much better. :( Those who could leave were fine leaving on their own, but there should've been extra help from the government for those who were disabled, poor, on financially/physically unable to leave the area. It is all so scary. Seems like God is really angry. :(

We ALL need to help these people. ALL of us.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Does anyone else think it is STUPID that when the government ordered evacuations, they left it completely on the citizens to get out themselves? Obviously, many were unable to get out. They knew for DAYS before that this hurricane was strengthening, and where it was going to hit, and that it would be very severe. If they were so sincere about their people, they would've sent planes/helicopters/buses from EVERY single state to get EVERY single human being and every single innocent life OUT of there ahead of time. It should've been a ghost town before the storm arrived, and there WAS enough time. There WAS. People should have been forced to leave whether they wanted to, or not. Yet they all had to leave in their own cars. With the traffic, gas problems, and financial problems for some, not everyone was able to make it out. WHY couldn't the government have taken everyone out of there days before? I know its probably easier said than done, but I'm SURE they could have done much better. :( Those who could leave were fine leaving on their own, but there should've been extra help from the government for those who were disabled, poor, on financially/physically unable to leave the area. It is all so scary. Seems like God is really angry. :(

We ALL need to help these people. ALL of us. You would think that in the "disaster planning" that the homeland security has ordered the states to do, that each city would be ordered to have a plan to get people out in a crisis situation if they couldn't get themselves out.

I know in our town, you are on your own transportation wise. We have one senior citizen bus that can hold maybe 10. Unless school buses were used. Since our town is becoming a retirement town, it's something that needs considering.

Another thing: DON'T WE ALL FEEL SO SORRY FOR THE CONGRESS PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY MAY HAVE TO END THEIR AUGUST VACATION A FEW DAYS EARLY AND GET THEIR BEHINDS BACK TO DC TO HELP WITH THIS CRISES? :p

Kfamr
09-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
If anyone is interested here (https://ntc.cap.af.mil/ops/wmirs/public/missions/mission_display.cfm?recordid=1046#images) is a link to see pictures taken by the Civil Air Patrol. It certainly drives home the magnitude of this. :(

I've been really upset about this for days but these pictures really hit me hard. I wish there was some way I could go up there and help all of those innocent people. My co-worker was saying something about his brother is up there helping out, and he sees bodies of humans and animals floating around. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

This is a nightmare and it happened so quickly.

popcornbird
09-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Okay, I just watched several videos on MSNBC of the people stuck in the convention center in New Orleans. I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face. The look in their eyes, the cries for help, the babies. :(:( My gosh. We all need to get together and help them. Really, we do. Its our duty as human beings, as Americans, as citizens of this country, to help those in need. Those people need us NOW, and we HAVE TO get to them somehow. We HAVE TO. Oh gosh...this is just tearing me apart. :( God, please help those people. Please. :(

ParNone
09-01-2005, 07:26 PM
For the last couple of days, I've been feeling like Houston was the only city, that understood the seriousness of this situation. From day 1, we've been opening up shelters, providing supplies, putting together telethons and food drives. What was organized for the Astrodome in less then 24 hours was amazing. Today I heard San Antonio was putting together something to take in 25000 refugees too. Where's the rest of the cities? Why has the federal govt been dragging their feet? This situation is of 9/11 type portions. It needs the same type of response.

Par...

momoffuzzyfaces
09-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Our housing authority here in town has room for 7 families and they are offering those, I hear. Also, several people from out town volunteered with the Red Cross and are leaving today to go help out. Our Walmart was taking donations too and I put some in that.

There's just so much need! :(

ParNone
09-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Just heard Dallas is going to take in 25,000 refugees. Yeah Dallas!

Astrodome filled up, so Houston making available more shelters. Reliant Center and George R. Brown Convention Center to be used. Info pulled from a Houston Chronicle Article:

"The City of Houston and this region will use its capacity to care for tens of thousands of families," the mayor said. "We will be making assessments daily of our community capacity. We do need other cities to be accepting busloads of people.''

Reliant Center can take 11,000 people, the mayor said.

"We want this exhibition hall open right now," the mayor said. "If it entails someone suing us, then OK.," the mayor said. "Then (they can) explain to the American public why.''

Buses today are not being turned away from the Astrodome, and there are still people onsite waiting to be processed. About 1,750 refugees who arrived on about 35 buses early this morning were initially told they would be turned away.

White said he's concerned about getting the people into a safe and comfortable situation where they can live with dignity. The city is searching local stores and other sources for cots, blankets and other supplies to house the evacuees.

Volunteers who pull into the parking lot to deliver supplies -- such as soap, towels and other items for personal hygiene -- are being mobbed by small crowds of evacuees.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rucker said because of limited mail delivery in some ZIP codes in Louisiana, mail that cannot be delivered there has been diverted to Houston and will be processed, sorted and held here until addresses in those ZIP codes are available for service.

On the Dome floor this morning, areas that previously had been used for clothing lines and other organizational purposes were cleared away for more cots. Breakfast was being served, with evacuees eating grits, waffles and sausage.
Also outside Reliant Arena the, the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was checking in animals.

One of the animals checked in was a five-year-old golden retriever mix named Precious. She and her owner swam for two days to escape the flooding. She was being loaded into a carrier that will be taken to the SPCA, which has taken in 300-400 animals onsite.

"You can tell these past events have started taking a toll. Some people have realized they may not be able to care for them (the pets). That's the sad part,'' said Jim Boller, director of shelter and field services for the SPCA.

Most of the animals show signs of stress and dehydration.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dr. Douglas Hamilton of the Baylor College of Medicine said some people have died on the buses en route, and many are very ill. He said he has treated people with with renal failure, bipolar disorder, psychosis and congestive heart failure.

"They all need medication, and they did not have it with them," Hamilton said.

"Many people might think there are enough people here and there are not. We just need help. It's the kind of help doctors know how to give and we need it right now,'' said Dr. Steven Glorsky of Houston. "We have a crisis in there.''

Glorsky said doctors inside were having trouble keeping up the pace with the number of people coming through who need treatment. He said he had treated heart attacks, open wounds and people who shouldn't have been released from hospital care in New Orleans.

A medical team with the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center is providing services around the clock to Hurricane Katrina victims arriving at Ellington Field.

"As people were coming and supplies were coming and the cots were being laid out, we realized we could accommodate fewer than we earlier thought," said Liese Hutchison, a spokeswoman for the Red Cross said late Thursday.

Organizers said they wanted to prevent a repeat of the conditions at the Superdome.

"We're not going to take people from one miserable situation in New Orleans and put them in another one here," McDuell said.

Tired, distraught passengers got off the buses Thursday night and shouted angrily as police officers told them they could not stay.

"We've got sick people in here and this is how you treat us!" said Angel Alegria. "Welcome to Houston! I hope a hurricane comes to Houston!"

Par...

momoffuzzyfaces
09-02-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm glad to hear there are people helping the pets.
On Fox news the other night, they showed a white dog, I think it was a poodle, who had been with his owner 9 years. When learning the dog couldn't get on the bus, the owner left him. He looked so confused and scared. A national guard soldier picked him up. I'm praying he got to someone who could help him. :(