PDA

View Full Version : Military Service Family

sirrahbed
08-27-2005, 10:06 AM
Ya'll know our family is dealing with a deployment - our son-in-love...Missy's husband. As you can imagine - it is strongly on our minds right now and something we talk about often these days.

This morning at breakfast - we were recalling how it feels to have a family member leaving. Missy's dad and I also grew up in military families and have many memories of seeing our dads getting ready to leave. The whole family always took part :) Missy grew up just like me - helping dad get ready to go on a mission. I have been thinking about sending Dennis off to Vietnam and later, Korea. As usual, the whole family joins in the preparations and even though we have very heavy hearts - we want to do everything we can to stay strong and help our military loved one feel hopeful and strong. Getting ready to leave is an intensely emotional time - but not all the feelings are sad. We put our energy into staying positive.

Dennis had me pull out these pictures that he took with him to Korea - as he was thinking of this in the past days. His fondest recollection is the strength he gained from his supportive family - even though he had to leave us. So, I thought I would share these:D

Here we are while he is gone - this was 1993 so everyone is very young but here we are - his family back home!! That is Misha's daddy on the right! Dennis was gone for a year at this time.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/Family/familykorea.jpg

Another recollection Dennis had was his family helping him pack and get things ready. This is not a good copy - but is a picture he took with him and loved!! Since it shows our Missy - I wanted to share this also. As her way of helping, she went out in the front yard to "wash dishes" because she wanted her daddy's messkit nice and clean to put in the mobility bag:D She was so small!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/Family/potsnpans.jpg

Well yes, we are pretty emotional here - but I really wanted to share a bit of the sense of pride and emotion involved in being a military family and doing what we can to fill this role.

Again - thank you for all of your encouragement and especially prayers http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/smilies/heartbeat.gif

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Oh Debbie, you are such a strong woman!! I would NEVER be able to cope with situation like yours, Missy's and so many others... :( . Dennis was in Korea too? Do you know where he was stationed? Our son Jo was born in Masan, in the south, close to the city of Pusan.

I wish you and your daughter lots of strength is this coming days!!

sirrahbed
08-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Maya & Inka's mommy
Do you know where he was stationed? Our son Jo was born in Masan, in the south, close to the city of Pusan.

Dennis was at Kunsan City - it is on the southwest seacoast. He is familiar with Masan - but it is near the southeast seacoast:)

caseysmom
08-27-2005, 11:12 AM
I had an uncle that was a career military, I never really understood the hardship on the family until he died and my aunt gave a wonderful tribute to him. She is an ordained minister, mostly she does chaplain work, but she did a great job helping the rest of us understand.

My hats off to all the military families.

sirrahbed
08-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by caseysmom
I had an uncle that was a career military, I never really understood the hardship on the family until he died and my aunt gave a wonderful tribute to him. She is an ordained minister, mostly she does chaplain work, but she did a great job helping the rest of us understand.

Was your uncle also a chaplain?? That is great that your aunt is now doing chaplain ministry - and helped explain what this life is like - not really hardship though - some of us don't know anything different! Like me - I have only been "civilian" for a few years now first time ever!!

When I was growing up - I did not know that there was anything else:p Later on, it was fun to tell civilians (non-military) about what career military is like. My friends thought it was interesting to hear about what it was like, especially "the base or post" :D The installations (base or post) are usually like complete little cities - each with housing, dining facilities (used to be called messhalls!) post offices, banks, hospitals, churches (ministers/pastors are called chaplains), police, grocery store (commissary) and regular stores (exchanges), sometimes a swimming pool, bowling alley, gym, etc. Oh yes and even a veterinarian!! :) It has a commander that is sort of like a mayor. The different departments have commanders too - they would be like city civil engineers, policechiefs, department chiefs, etc.

Missy's dad was first a policeman and later ran the "services" like the gyms, bowling alleys, etc... first for individual installations and later on for whole commands (a group of installations - sort of like a corporate headquarters) During the Gulf War - his job was organizing feeding tents in the desert, things for the soldiers to live and eat, and also he ran mortuaries.

Missy's grandfather (my dad) was a pilot in WWII, later an airplane refueler in the air and then an aircraft mechanic inspector. My mom, Missy's grandmother was an Army nurse and worked on a hospital ship off Italy. My brother, Missy's uncle was an AirForce aircraft engine mechanic.

Her other grandfather was a "damage controllman" on ships. His job was to use wood to fix battle damage until it could get back to a port for more permanent repair. He also built PT boats in WWII. These are like what President Kennedy was on and also John Kerry. He was later a civilian carpenter. I am trying to use *civilian* language and no abbreviations but it is hard!!

Hope this is interesting to some of you:)

CalliesMom
08-27-2005, 01:08 PM
My father served for thirty years until he finally retired after my junior year of high school. We moved every three years and I really enjoyed the life of a military brat.

My brother was in the AF for five years...did the whole ROTC thing in college. My SIL just got out of the AF about a year ago and she was a JAG officer. I was on AF ROTC scholarship when I first got to college for electrical engineering. After my father's death my sophomore year, however, I couldn't do something for the rest of my life that I would hate and I switched my major to Veterinary Sciences. I had planned to go back into ROTC, but I developed asthma (I started having lung issues my freshmen year) and could not return. It is truly a wonderful lifestyle and I pray that everything goes well for your son-in-law.

On an interesting note, my father is buried at Arlington and it makes me so proud everytime I see all the men and women that served for their country.

sirrahbed
08-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by CalliesMom
My father served for thirty years until he finally retired after my junior year of high school. We moved every three years and I really enjoyed the life of a military brat.
Hi fellow BRAT:D I had forgotten all about that word!

On an interesting note, my father is buried at Arlington and it makes me so proud everytime I see all the men and women that served for their country.

I heard a new song performed by Trace Adkins just last night - on the news - it is called "Arlington" Oh my gosh it is so touching - I just cried like a baby to hear it. The lyrics are really something. So, that is very, very interesting to hear that your dad is buried there. I have never been to Arlington or even DC, but I would like to someday.

CalliesMom
08-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
I heard a new song performed by Trace Adkins just last night - on the news - it is called "Arlington" Oh my gosh it is so touching - I just cried like a baby to hear it. The lyrics are really something. So, that is very, very interesting to hear that your dad is buried there. I have never been to Arlington or even DC, but I would like to someday.

I've never heard of the song but I'm also not a real country fan. I'll have to track it down. I've been to DC three times and everytime I see my father's headstone, I ball like a baby. He's been gone now for five years but it feels just like yesterday. :(

sandragonfly
08-27-2005, 09:32 PM
wow...I don't know what to say.. reading your pictures & memories just touched my heart. golly, almost everyone in your "generation" serves other lives. both of my great-grandfathers who were in WWII too, there are sepia pictures of them on their horses but I know nothing about civil wars - I only can feel your smiling (joy & sad both) memories. it must be awfully hard seeing one of your loved leaving then comes back...then leaves again! ugh.

I have two young male-friends who I adore so much, noel & joey (not brothers) --they both are stationed somewhere in washington, near D.C. noel is an aircraft controller inspector too and he loves his job. and joey then was sent to iraq. :( both of them are like my brothers. :(

hey, about the new F12 (or F15 I forgot?) jets, have you heard about them yet? they need an approval from congressmen first before they decide to stop making F12 (if it was F15 or F12 if it was F15) jets and noel is exciting about that.. oh..how I wish for their (and yours) safe return!

anyway, I agree with someone above that you're very emotional yet, emotional woman! thanks for sharing, even though hard for me to read these, miss english teacher - they're interesting! ;)

(((DEBBIE)))
..gina & her ark

sirrahbed
08-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Yes, this mom is emotional but all is well:) I spoke with Missy this morning and again tonight and she is doing OK. Paul's mom will be visiting in one week:) So, Tyler will get spoiled I am sure.

Missy has been staying busy - went to evening church service and grocery shopping, cleaning house, etc.

gina - are you maybe thinking about the Raptor (F-22) replacing F-15? It is still being approved, is still in testing, and made by Lockheed Martin. That must be exciting for your friend Noel to be working on:) Sorry that Joey is in Iraq - someone else for us to remember.

Please keep those thoughts and prayers coming for everyone http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/smilies/heartbeat.gif

katienoonan
08-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the info, I find it very interesting. I would also like to say thank you for the prayers. My husband should be here for leave in a day or two, he wouldn't tell me exactly when he would be here so he can suprise me.:D

sirrahbed
08-28-2005, 08:53 PM
Katie - I am excited for you!!! Did your new furniture come in yet? Did you get everything for your cheesecake?? Enjoy your precious time together:D

You are part of my daily prayers!!

sandragonfly
08-28-2005, 08:54 PM
ah ah, F22! see.. wars, me? :D

poor missy (you), it's very hard to be "alone"..at least she has a piece of paul...this cute tyler! :)

thank you for keeping noel & joey in your prayers too. I'll be thinking of you guys too!! impossible to not..

[!!(((missy holding tyler)))(((debbie)))(((everyone)))!!] :D

..gina

katienoonan
08-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Katie - I am excited for you!!! Did your new furniture come in yet? Did you get everything for your cheesecake?? Enjoy your precious time together:D

You are part of my daily prayers!!

Yup I got our brand new bed! I love it! I made the cheesecake today and it turned out great(I made two actually) Thanks I will be sure to cherish every moment until I see him again. I miss watching him sleep.:D. I appreciate your prayers more than you know.

sirrahbed
08-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Freckles
This weekend Vancouver National Historic Reserve and Pearson Airpark in Vancouver, WA are having a tribute celebrating the end of WWII, 60 years ago. It's honoring the veterans and their families with vintage Airplanes, army tents and other displays. In addition, they are videotaping oral histories from the veterans. It's all important to remember!

Thanks Freckles! Yes, this end of WWII celebration is important to remember for sure. I wish my dad was still healthy enough to travel to some of these events. He was an Army Air Corp pilot and loves to talk about the old airplanes. The one that he flew was recently presented in a new museum in North Carolina - he had been invited along with another living crew member - to the unveiling of this old vintage plane - wish I could remember what it is called and look it up:rolleyes: He always called it *gooney-bird* so I think it is the C-47..... a refueling aircraft anyway.

caseysmom
08-28-2005, 10:52 PM
Was your uncle also a chaplain?? That is great that your aunt is now doing chaplain ministry - and helped explain what this life is like - not really hardship though - some of us don't know anything different! Like me - I have only been "civilian" for a few years now first time ever!!

When I was growing up - I did not know that there was anything else:p Later on, it was fun to tell civilians (non-military) about what career military is like. My friends thought it was interesting to hear about what it was like, especially "the base or post" :D The installations (base or post) are usually like complete little cities - each with housing, dining facilities (used to be called messhalls!) post offices, banks, hospitals, churches (ministers/pastors are called chaplains), police, grocery store (commissary) and regular stores (exchanges), sometimes a swimming pool, bowling alley, gym, etc. Oh yes and even a veterinarian!! :) It has a commander that is sort of like a mayor. The different departments have commanders too - they would be like city civil engineers, policechiefs, department chiefs, etc.

Missy's dad was first a policeman and later ran the "services" like the gyms, bowling alleys, etc... first for individual installations and later on for whole commands (a group of installations - sort of like a corporate headquarters) During the Gulf War - his job was organizing feeding tents in the desert, things for the soldiers to live and eat, and also he ran mortuaries.

Missy's grandfather (my dad) was a pilot in WWII, later an airplane refueler in the air and then an aircraft mechanic inspector. My mom, Missy's grandmother was an Army nurse and worked on a hospital ship off Italy. My brother, Missy's uncle was an AirForce aircraft engine mechanic.

Her other grandfather was a "damage controllman" on ships. His job was to use wood to fix battle damage until it could get back to a port for more permanent repair. He also built PT boats in WWII. These are like what President Kennedy was on and also John Kerry. He was later a civilian carpenter. I am trying to use *civilian* language and no abbreviations but it is hard!!

Hope this is interesting to some of you:)

I am sorry I am just now responding....we were in santa cruz for 2 days.

My aunt was a civilian chaplain, she rode around with the sherrif's until my uncle got sick and she had to care for him around the clock. He was in the Air Force and flew jets. They were stationed in Hawaii for a while, but before that they had some hardships. There were times she would not see him for a year and she pretty much raised her 2 boys on her own.