PDA

View Full Version : Update on Parker...

moosmom
08-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Parker has been with me since May 9th. I've posted lots of tails (pun intended) on her progress and stuff. But I thought I'd let you all know what it REALLY going on.

In the beginning, Parker trusted no one and had every symptom of being severely abused. I, myself got bitten and scratched at least 3 times. She also went after MooShoo (which was my own fault).

Anyway, Parker has some major issues, and I've been working with a behaviorist from the UofM to try and turn this beautiful little girl around.

The rescue organization is going to call in a pet psychic named Barbara Myers to see if SHE can find out why Parker is so unpredictable and aggressive.

While I was on vacation, Parker bit my friend Kathy on the hand so badly that she (Kathy, not Parker) drove herself to the ER, and was put on an IV and Augmentin. I didn't find out about it till I returned (she wasn't going to tell me at all because didn't want me to worry).

Parker is now back in her old room with all the familiar things that she had in the beginning. The door is closed and I have put a towel under the door with a baby gate securely in front of the closed door. This way, there are no other cat scents around to stress her out.

She has made some progress in that when I bring her canned food, she won't eat it unless I sit in the room with her. The idea is for me to sit away from her with my knees bent, my head down and only one hand exposed. I'm to wear clothing with no other cat scent on it (something just washed out of the dryer that I can leave in there and put on only when I'm in the room with her). I am to let HER approach ME, not the other way around.

Last night made me cry. I was laying on the floor and she came up to me and put her head in my hand, purring, wanting to be petted!!!! The behaviorist said that showed her trust in me. It's been 4 long months and I think it's going to take alot longer. But nw that I understand Meezers a little better, I'll work with her as long as it takes. When all the biting started, I was ready to get her out of my house as fast as possible and didn't care how.

The behaviorist also said that cats pick up on their owner's stress. And, as you all know, I've been under an extreme amount of stress these past few months, which I'm sure didn't help.

She suggested I get a Feliway Defuser for the room too. Any opinions as to whether it works or not????

So, although Parker will have to be in the room alone (window with a view, classical music playing, someone who loves her), I'm determined to make her a great little Meezer who will make someone very happy.

Whoever did this to this precious little girl I hope is treated a bazillion times worse!!! :mad:

ratchet22
08-26-2005, 03:59 PM
wow, you are sure dedicated. Thank You for that. You said behavorist, that is too cool. May I ask where you found her or him? I know cats can be done this way and I know it works. May need to borrow your behaviorist soon

congradulations.

carrie

catmandu
08-26-2005, 04:21 PM
JOHN,AND ROCCA,WERE TERRIFIED,OF ME,WHEN THEY FIRST CAME HERE,BUT THEY ALWAYS GOT ALONG,WITH THE OTHER CATS.I DINT CARE,IF THEY LIKE ME,OR NOT,AS LONG,AS THEY GOT ALONG,IWTH THIER FELLOW FOUND CATS!
I WISH YOU,THE WORLD,OF LUCK,WITH THAT POOR SCARED MEEZER,IF ANYONE CAN BRING HER AROUND,IT WOULD BE YOU!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture685.jpg

jenluckenbach
08-26-2005, 04:45 PM
Poor Parker (and poor you). I wish you luck in this behavior modificaition. I will be VERY interested in what a pet psychic has to say and I'd love to hear more about the behaviorists ideas too. (always willing to learn new things)

Poo
08-26-2005, 05:39 PM
Well done you for not giving up on Parker. I have a Feliway diffuser and I must say I have seen a difference in one of my cats. Bugs used to be a little stress head, but now she is so chilled out and loving. She comes for strokes and rubs yours legs, she never used to before. I would say It's certainly worth a try. Best of luck to you and Parker.

Nicki x

K & L
08-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Was Parker feral at one time? I'm so happy to hear your dedication in giving Parker a chance. Maybe deal with her as you would taming a feral. Good luck and I'll be interested to hear the progress.

DJFyrewolf36
08-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Good for you!! Not many people would show such dedication (Obviously Parkers former owners didn't show ANY dedication :mad: ) I'm glad you're working with this girl to turn her around. Every kitty deserves a chance!

I wish I was closer to you. I've made miricles happen with agressive cats. Don't ask me how I do it...I guess I just calm them. A friend of mine had a really aggressive cat. No one could approach her without at least getting hissed at and more than likely bitten. I came over to my friends place at least once a week to be with the cat. Of course I got bit a couple of times, but after a couple of months she started actually wanting to be with my friend and her family. She eventually let them pet her, and became quite the lover.

There is always hope!!

rkidsrcats
08-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Sounds like you are doing everything possible to help Parker learn to trust again. We would also be interested to hear what the pet psychic says. Best of luck with your efforts - our Norbert was very afraid of us also - it has been 2 years and he still has his moments but is so much better. Time works miracles.

moosmom
08-29-2005, 11:02 AM
Missy works at the University of Michigan. Not sure exactly what she does there, but she knows a HELL of alot about meezers.

I'll let you know what the pet psychic says, and keep you posted on Parker's progress. There's hope for this girl yet!!

catlover4ever
08-29-2005, 12:18 PM
Donna, keep up the good work. Parker will come around. Are you going to try Brenda with some animal communication? She is really wonderful. I will try to give you a call later this week to chat.

moosmom
08-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Are you going to try Brenda with some animal communication

I would LOVE to!!!! Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!!! Talk to ya soon!!

Being the dummy that I am, I think I deleted the information. Could you send it to me again please????? :p

sandragonfly
08-29-2005, 04:47 PM
thank you for your endurance!! sorry parker has been giving you a hard time and hope it continues getting better.

no, I've never tried feliway before - but two of my friends said they didn't really work that well. :confused: *shrugs*

parker (& you) remain in my thoughts for a good result and good luck!!

NoahsMommy
08-29-2005, 06:40 PM
Wierd, I had thought I replied to this. Sorry, Donna. ((Hugs))

First, ((((BIG HUGS))))) for your concern and dedication to Parker. I know you don't want to be bit, but you've given her lots of time and understanding. You're her angel. :)

Thank you for taking her in and understanding her. That's the greatest gift you can give that little one. ((((More hugs))))

Can't wait to hear what the psychic says. :)

Take care,
Kelly :)

CalliesMom
08-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Awwww Donna. First, I would like to commend you on taking in Parker. It must be so difficult dealing with a "scaredy" cat and I hope you are able to work something out to ease her/your pain. If you ever need to chat, feel free to PM me.